Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What Movie Ending are You Still Unresolved with? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35629)

Starscream 08-25-2010 04:10 PM

What Movie Ending are You Still Unresolved with?

For me, the following are at the top of my list:

2001: A Space Odyssey
The Day the Earth Stood Still (remake with Keanu Reeves)

The Poet 08-25-2010 04:13 PM

Re: What Movie Ending are You Still Unresolved with?

The Birds. That movie has no ending, but just ends.

yourchoice 08-25-2010 04:19 PM

American Psycho. Watched it once and I need to watch it again to wrap my head around it.

ActionAndy 08-25-2010 04:21 PM

A Serious Man (Coen brothers). I've heard you have to have a Jewish background to get a lot fo the cultural stuff but whatever. The movie just stops existing, rather than ending.

icehog3 08-25-2010 05:19 PM

The Shining.....Jack in the picture from the '20s.....what does it mean?

akumushi 08-25-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 965973)
The Shining.....Jack in the picture from the '20s.....what does it mean?

You have to have read the book for it to really make sense; in the book there's a lot about him interacting with the ghosts of the house in some grand ballroom, and that picture was probably meant to signify that he's dead and now amongst the "permanent guests" as a ghost.:2

Chingas 08-25-2010 05:28 PM

What an awesome thread! Now if only my brain would work properly...

Ok. For clarification:

Donnie Darko

Eraserhead

In The Mouth Of Madness

Syndiche New York

akumushi 08-25-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 965895)
A Serious Man (Coen brothers). I've heard you have to have a Jewish background to get a lot fo the cultural stuff but whatever. The movie just stops existing, rather than ending.

It certainly is an abrupt ending, but you can take the looming torpedo to mean that the son is going to die and basically, sh!t will hit the fan. I've heard reviews that say that the movie is a take on the story of Job, where God and the devil test his faith. Towards the end of the movie though, just as it looks like the tests are over and things will get good for him again, Gopnik departs from the story of righteous Job when he sins by taking the bribe and changing the grade, thus God punishes him (the doctor immediately calls with bad news, and the tornado appears on the horizon. In this sense, it's not really the story of Job, and more simply a story about a man who is cursed, hence the epilogue with the Dybbuk:2

icehog3 08-25-2010 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akumushi (Post 965982)
You have to have read the book for it to really make sense; in the book there's a lot about him interacting with the ghosts of the house in some grand ballroom, and that picture was probably meant to signify that he's dead and now amongst the "permanent guests" as a ghost.:2

Thanks Clayton....I have read the book, but I still find myself unsatisfied with that ending.....yet it's still my favorite movie of all time.

MrPlatypus 08-25-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingas (Post 965991)
What an awesome thread! Now if only my brain would work properly...

Ok. For clarification:
In The Mouth Of Madness

Basically, he finally does go nuts. Know how it starts out with him in the asylum? He wasn't crazy then. He goes through and explains what happens to the guy who comes to see him, but remember when Sutter Kane tells him "I write therefore you are"? When he goes to see the film, he watches the film and it shows everything that happens during the movie....his brain just sort of goes the way of the dodo, because he realizes his entire life was nothing more than a piece of fiction. Got a very Lovecraft angle that, unless you've read a lot of Lovecraft, is hard to grasp.

One of my favorite films, right up there with Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner.

akumushi 08-25-2010 06:03 PM

correction
Quote:

Originally Posted by akumushi (Post 966005)
It certainly is an abrupt ending, but you can take the looming tornado to mean that the son is going to die and basically, sh!t will hit the fan. I've heard reviews that say that the movie is a take on the story of Job, where God and the devil test his faith. Towards the end of the movie though, just as it looks like the tests are over and things will get good for him again, Gopnik departs from the story of righteous Job when he sins by taking the bribe and changing the grade, thus God punishes him (the doctor immediately calls with bad news, and the tornado appears on the horizon. In this sense, it's not really the story of Job, and more simply a story about a man who is cursed, hence the prologue with the Dybbuk:2

markem 08-25-2010 06:04 PM

The Princess Bride

I mean, they die at the end of the book but the movie ending implies happiness every after. Lying in the movies doesn't send the right message to kids.

fxpose 08-25-2010 07:07 PM

Doubt

Chingas 08-25-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 966044)
The Princess Bride

I mean, they die at the end of the book but the movie ending implies happiness every after. Lying in the movies doesn't send the right message to kids.

You can't knock a movie with Fred Savage. And classic lines like "Hello. My name is Eningo Madoya. You killed my Father. Prepare to DIE!"

It's just poetic!

Chingas 08-25-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPlatypus (Post 966029)
Basically, he finally does go nuts. Know how it starts out with him in the asylum? He wasn't crazy then. He goes through and explains what happens to the guy who comes to see him, but remember when Sutter Kane tells him "I write therefore you are"? When he goes to see the film, he watches the film and it shows everything that happens during the movie....his brain just sort of goes the way of the dodo, because he realizes his entire life was nothing more than a piece of fiction. Got a very Lovecraft angle that, unless you've read a lot of Lovecraft, is hard to grasp.

One of my favorite films, right up there with Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner.

Thanks Brother. It's time for a rewatch!

Lear31MX 08-25-2010 07:11 PM

No country for old men

cort 08-25-2010 07:46 PM

Happy Gilmore.

How the hell did Chubs grow his hand back to play the piano.:confused: Gets me every time:D

icehog3 08-25-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingas (Post 966147)
You can't knock a movie with Fred Savage.

Obviously you've never seen "Vice Versa". :r

Mr.Maduro 08-25-2010 08:26 PM

Memento....

SmokeyJoe 08-25-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro (Post 966225)
Memento....

:tpd:

Also, never liked the ending of "Gone With The Wind."
After all... tomorrow is another day.