Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Worst Opus I've Ever Had (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40744)

Volusianator 01-01-2011 12:09 PM

Worst Opus I've Ever Had

So I decided to finally try an Opus Lost City last night while working at the lounge. What a disappointment, it burned perfectly but just didn't taste like an Opus at all. Very glad I didn't over do it on my purchasing of these.

MiamiE 01-01-2011 12:12 PM

Re: Worst Opus I've Ever Had

I saw one yesterday. Good thing I didnt spend the $30 on it. :tu

BSB 01-01-2011 01:22 PM

Which size was it. I've had pretty good luck with these, but agree, not worth the $.

zappaFREAK 01-01-2011 01:22 PM

Wow!!! Surprising I have read these have more spice and kick than the regular opus which I enjoy. I have not got or had these yet now I may not!!

BSB 01-01-2011 01:29 PM

I also heard that last years OR are way better than this years RR.

Volusianator 01-01-2011 01:31 PM

Not sure on the name of the size, but it was a robusto, it was also OR. It just didn't taste anything like an Opus, not a bad cigar, just not what I was expecting.

Brad 01-01-2011 01:44 PM

Opus seem to be more available this year than in previous years. Not sure if it's because sales are down due to the economy or what, but I see them everywhere.

My B&M as at least 10 boxes of Opus right now, including the Lost City. I have never seen that before. Maybe Fuente upped the production number? I remember for awhile most places, even shops that sold tons of Fuente stuff, were lucky to get 2-3 boxes, some just got 1.

Emjaysmash 01-01-2011 01:46 PM

Wade you're a BIG Opus fan, right?

Volusianator 01-01-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1114974)

Lets just say I have an addiction!

RevSmoke 01-01-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1114974)

For Wade to be disappointed in an Opus, and to publically state such is pretty amazing - at least to me.

ScottishSmoker 01-01-2011 03:20 PM

I have to be blatantly honest...it's been YEARS since I last had a good Opus...

CoreyD 01-01-2011 03:26 PM

I have yet to try an Opus I don't think. At least its not in my dossier or memory, I am sorry , so I cannot comment on if my pallet enjoys all opus's.

jitzy 01-01-2011 03:35 PM

I've only had one and really enjoyed it BUT in no way was it worth mode than a regular line opus. I don't understand how there is OR and RR if it was all grown from one off seasons crop? Wasn't that the point behind this cigar that it was grown for the movie and they made cigars with it?

SmokinApe 01-01-2011 03:53 PM

Could it have been a fake?

CoreyD 01-01-2011 03:57 PM

Maybe you didn't have the right mood, drink etc. Try it again...I know a man that looks like you that told me to go back to some of the things in my dossier and see if my pallet changed ....

Brad 01-01-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 1115084)
Could it have been a fake?

I would seriously doubt it.

BSB 01-01-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jitzy (Post 1115071)
I've only had one and really enjoyed it BUT in no way was it worth mode than a regular line opus. I don't understand how there is OR and RR if it was all grown from one off seasons crop? Wasn't that the point behind this cigar that it was grown for the movie and they made cigars with it?

There was last years OR and this years RR. Weather the RR is made with the same tobacco as the OR is really an unknown. But, I've read, that this year's are not as good.

mu mike 01-01-2011 06:13 PM

I prefer them to regular Opus. And I'm glad I have lots of them.

Volusianator 01-01-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1115046)
For Wade to be disappointed in an Opus, and to publically state such is pretty amazing - at least to me.

LOL, just wasn't my thing Todd, such a different flavour than regular line Opus. In the end I guess I'm glad it ended up not being my thing as I don't need to dish out the extra coin for a HTF cigar.

Volusianator 01-01-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu mike (Post 1115230)
I prefer them to regular Opus. And I'm glad I have lots of them.

And there in lies the beauty of smoking cigars, we all have ones we like, ones we don't and one's we prefer over others. And in the end, we're all right.