Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Cenookie 01-01-2009 10:11 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Recently finished Persian Fire by Tom Holland. A very good read about the rise of the Persian empire and their battle with the Greeks. I'm now reading 1421 The Year China Discovered America by Gavin Menzies, very interesting.

Mugen910 01-01-2009 10:16 PM

just finished I am legend.
working on harry potter 6 again
Posted via Mobile Device

Waynegro1 01-01-2009 10:40 PM

I'm reading "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu (Special Edition). I read this book every January. I love it!!

Ubergopher 01-02-2009 07:04 AM

I just finished The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. Now I'll try and make sense of the Abolition of Man. I think I get smarter just looking at the book cover.

webjunkie 01-02-2009 07:09 AM

Just started Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy.

RevSmoke 01-02-2009 09:59 AM

For fun: Brisinger by Christopher Paolini & The Deerslayer, by James Fenimor Cooper

Professionally: Grace Upon Grace, by Rev. John Kleinig & The Preached God, by Gerhard Forde & The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins

GKitty 01-02-2009 10:02 AM

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

A christmas gift from my step-mom who is my partner in literary gluttony.

I forgot how much I love a good legal drama.

Heliofire 01-02-2009 10:04 AM

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

pnoon 01-02-2009 10:19 AM

I just finished The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. Another winner. :tu
I just started Hell's Kitchen by Jeffrey Deaver (writing as William Jeffries).

Cigargal 01-02-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 146001)
I just finished The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. Another winner. :tu
I just started Hell's Kitchen by Jeffrey Deaver (writing as William Jeffries).

Just added The Keepsake to the Library collection, but I still have to read her last one-I like to read her in order.

Glad to see ther is another Michael Connelly fan here Miss Kitty. If you like Harry Bosch then you will like Ian Rankin's series with Inspector John Rebus.

pnoon 01-02-2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 146030)
Just added The Keepsake to the Library collection, but I still have to read her last one-I like to read her in order.

Me, too. Just prior to The Keepsake, I read The Bone Garden. Also good but I liked The Keepsake better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 146030)
Glad to see ther is another Michael Connelly fan here Miss Kitty. If you like Harry Bosch then you will like Ian Rankin's series with Inspector John Rebus.

I'm also a Connelly/Bosch fan. I'll have to check out Ian Rankin. Any suggested order or first one to read?

Cigargal 01-02-2009 06:15 PM

I read them in order-the first few are short novels, and the entire 15 or 16 book series sort of develops his personal relationships-as well as leads up to his retirement.

pnoon 01-02-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 146770)
I read them in order-the first few are short novels, and the entire 15 or 16 book series sort of develops his personal relationships-as well as leads up to his retirement.

:tu
Thanks.

Buena Fortuna 01-03-2009 02:12 AM

A book that a fellow BOTL gave me to read, Unintended Consequences

hotreds 01-04-2009 08:20 PM

Semper Fi: Stories of the United States Marines from Boot Camp to Battle by
Clint Willis (Editor)

MithShrike 01-04-2009 09:16 PM

Just finished Sixty Days and Counting by Kim Stanley Robinson. He is entirely too optimistic but it made a nice capper on the trilogy.

Next up I'll try to finish C.J. Cherryh's Port Eternity. I'm about halfway through it, I kind of lost it for a few days.

Fumes 01-16-2009 09:08 PM

I just finished The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. One of the strangest books I've come across and I'm not sure what to think of it. It got under my skin, but not necessarily in a good way.

cricky101 01-16-2009 09:29 PM

"The Brothers Karamazov" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Cigargal 01-17-2009 12:29 PM

Finished Trunk Music by Connelly, read Cornwell's Sharpe's Fortress, now reading Sharpe's Trafalgar and next is Wally Lamb-I know this Much Is True. I have never read one of his books.

Kreth 01-17-2009 12:35 PM

Planning ahead for golf season, I'm working my way through Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible.