Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Anyone been to Punta Cana? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62616)

big a 07-05-2013 09:32 AM

Anyone been to Punta Cana?

Awhile back I asked about taking a vacation to Myrtle Beach. Well we have book our trip but I am always on the look out for other deals. I came across an all-inclusive trip to Punta Cana though Groupon. I had planned on spending ~$2,000 for Myrtle Beach and could go to Punta Cana for $1800 + passport and special activities if we want to do anything there. It seems like a no brainer to do an all inclusive but for whatever reason I'm on the fence. Questions i had.

Has anyone been on vacation there? how was your experience?

Anyone happen to of stayed at Be Live Grand? The reviews online seem positive for the most part. As with any place there is always some people that had a bad experience.

Anyone ever booked their trip though Vacation Express?

shilala 07-05-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Anyone been to Punta Cana?

We've been there, but we stayed at the Punta Cana Excellence. It was incredible.
I never heard of the Be Live Grand, but here's the thing with the places we bused through, they're kind of maintenance deferred. They're not bad by any means, just not as clean and manicured as everything here.
If you go, you need to take a couple hundred dollar bills for tipping. It's a custom throughout the country, everyone tips for everything. Literally.
No, I've never used Vacation Express, either.

big a 07-05-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1857789)
We've been there, but we stayed at the Punta Cana Excellence. It was incredible.
I never heard of the Be Live Grand, but here's the thing with the places we bused through, they're kind of maintenance deferred. They're not bad by any means, just not as clean and manicured as everything here.
If you go, you need to take a couple hundred dollar bills for tipping. It's a custom throughout the country, everyone tips for everything. Literally.

As always, thanks Scott. Lots of good info

NeuRon 07-05-2013 02:14 PM

ive been to Punta Cana the past few years, and its been some of the best vacations ive had.. and much cheaper than some of the other Caribbean vacations as well..

for 6 nights, continental direct flight from newark to DR, all inclusive, shuttle bus, all the bells and whistles, we ended up paying $879 each with tax... it is literally a no brainer.. i cant even FLY to California for $700. Nevermind stay at a hotel and then pay for overpriced food and lackluster service. lol.. i couldnt say enough about the kind people on that island too..

edit: ive never been to the place you speak of.. my stay was at the Grand Bahia El Principe . look it up! i swear by it! fabulous beaches!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ashone/dr2.png

mjdx88 07-05-2013 03:23 PM

I was planning on going to Punta Cana for our honey moon a month ago, but it didnt work out so we did cancun. While in Cancun we stayed at the Excellence, it was amazing! I have heard their resorts are held to all of the same standards and the restaurants are very similar.

I would say go for them if you can, it will be awesome!

Blueface 07-06-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1857789)

I stayed at the Majestic Elegance last May.
In the top two or three there.
Impossible not to have a great time.
Best way to describe it, a cruise on land.
Didn't care to do much in the area and just chose to stay at the property.
We did the Elegance Club, for adults only, private butler, etc. what a bang for the buck.
Also, tip the bartenders by the pool real well and watch how a special drawer with the top shelf booze becomes available to you.
Don't forget the mamajuana. They swear it has "stiffening" properties for men.
Have to agree with them.:D

Blueface 07-06-2013 06:59 AM

I stayed at the Majestic Elegance last May.
In the top two or three there.
Impossible not to have a great time.
Best way to describe it, a cruise on land.
Didn't care to do much in the area and just chose to stay at the property.
We did the Elegance Club, for adults only, private butler, etc. what a bang for the buck.
Also, tip the bartenders by the pool real well and watch how a special drawer with the top shelf booze becomes available to you.
Don't forget the mamajuana. They swear it has "stiffening" properties for men.
Have to agree with them.:D

Blueface 07-06-2013 07:01 AM

No more early morning drinking and posting for me.
Seems I repeat myself.:r

big a 07-07-2013 07:56 AM

Thanks for all the tips. We went ahead and pulled the trigger. Got our passport apps in yesterday. Now we just have to wait. Did anyone take their own cigars with them or is that a no no?

NeuRon 07-07-2013 08:34 AM

i smuggled my cubans into the country.. they dont care.. just remember.. you can take them in but you might get some flack taking them back.. plan and allocate wisely

big a 07-07-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeuRon (Post 1858262)
i smuggled my cubans into the country.. they dont care.. just remember.. you can take them in but you might get some flack taking them back.. plan and allocate wisely

That is what i had thought and I am trying to avoid buying some fake random cigar off the beach. i don't plan to bring anything back as i just dont want the hassle.

Blueface 07-07-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big a (Post 1858319)
That is what i had thought and I am trying to avoid buying some fake random cigar off the beach. i don't plan to bring anything back as i just dont want the hassle.

Took my own.
Had some left to bring back.
Just removed the rings and no worries.

NeuRon 07-08-2013 03:01 PM

^^ that too.!

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 07-12-2013 04:12 PM

I was in Punta Cana last week! Stayed at the Majestic Colonial, in the Colonial Club (adults only section). Had a great time and highly recommend it. I booked my trip through Costco Travel and feel that I got a good deal. They throw in a discount at the resort spa and you get $100 towards off resort activities of your choice. Let me know if you want more info and I would be happy to elaborate.

big a 07-13-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX (Post 1860601)
I was in Punta Cana last week! Stayed at the Majestic Colonial, in the Colonial Club (adults only section). Had a great time and highly recommend it. I booked my trip through Costco Travel and feel that I got a good deal. They throw in a discount at the resort spa and you get $100 towards off resort activities of your choice. Let me know if you want more info and I would be happy to elaborate.

I will have to look into Costco for the next one, I always forget they have trips. Was your beach private? Ours isn't and I have heard mixed reviews of the locals walking along the beach trying to sell stuff.

Blueface 07-13-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big a (Post 1860825)
I will have to look into Costco for the next one, I always forget they have trips. Was your beach private? Ours isn't and I have heard mixed reviews of the locals walking along the beach trying to sell stuff.

At the Majestic Elegance and sister property next door Majestic Colonial, they did a pretty good job of keeping them out BUT, regardless, they were there every chance they could but a simple NO will do and they leave you alone. In fact, I recall them just walking down the beach close to the water and not around folks laying on the beach.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 07-14-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big a (Post 1860825)

Lots of locals trying to make a buck. The beach I was at was pretty good, they don't really bother you if you are sitting in the loungers. Just say no thanks and they will move on.

big a 08-12-2013 06:02 PM

For you guys that took cigars, did you carry them on or put them in your luggage?

pnoon 08-12-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big a (Post 1872933)
For you guys that took cigars, did you carry them on or put them in your luggage?

Carry on. Always.

Blueface 08-12-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1872934)
Carry on. Always.

Ditto