Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   "Perfect Cut" cutters (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57414)

mobarbq 08-06-2012 09:33 AM

"Perfect Cut" cutters

These seem to be the vogue nowadays. Lot of manufacturers make them, have their logo on them and given as premiums. They are the ones that just take off a very small clip, which admittedly - I know some guys might need. You really don't need to clip off an inch...

Does anyone have trouble with them getting clogged up? Hopefully I'm not the only one.

What do you do to get the clippings out of the middle?

irratebass 08-06-2012 09:43 AM

Re: "Perfect Cut" cutters

Yes Wes!!!! This drives me crazy, but I have seen cutters get clogged on regular cutters too, so not sure there is anything we can do.

What other manufacturers make these? I have only see the Cuban Crafters and a Cohiba one that I was gifted.

md4958 08-06-2012 09:46 AM

Or you could just use how to use a double blade cutter... just sayin.

mobarbq 08-06-2012 09:53 AM

I saw a couple different ones at a regional herf we had. I think one of them might have been Perdomo.
The one I have is a "Black Ops." Several shops sell them too, 2 Guys in NH, for one.

mobarbq 08-06-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 1694909)

lol, I do! I love the guillotine one from Cusano, it's kind of a credit card cutter. I've not had any problems using a guillotine cutter, but I do see guys whack off a good half inch (or more) all the time, no idea why. I guess that's why 2 Guys came out with it, or that's what Dave says, anyway.

http://qsl.net/kg0yh/cusano.jpg

irratebass 08-06-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobarbq (Post 1694914)
I saw a couple different ones at a regional herf we had. I think one of them might have been Perdomo.
The one I have is a "Black Ops." Several shops sell them too, 2 Guys in NH, for one.

Hmmm, are they advertised as "perfect cutters?"

pektel 08-06-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 1694909)

Word. Never gotten a better cut than with my Palio.

mobarbq 08-06-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1694981)
Hmmm, are they advertised as "perfect cutters?"

Yep. http://www.2guyscigars.com/Two-Guys-Perfect-Cutter.html

NCRadioMan 08-06-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobarbq (Post 1694905)

What do you do to get the clippings out of the middle?

Compressed air or a shot from your can of butane will do the trick.

pektel 08-06-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1694907)
Yes Wes!!!! This drives me crazy, but I have seen cutters get clogged on regular cutters too, so not sure there is anything we can do.

Are you referring to a cutter becoming "sticky?" I clean my palio blades often with a q tip and isopropyl alcohol, works well for me.

proguy747 08-26-2012 03:41 PM

Cuban crafters are the best perfect cutters. I have received other perfect styles from events and they are not even close. They clog, dull and do not have a hole for torpedoes. Cuban crafters ftw.

mobarbq 08-26-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 1695083)
Are you referring to a cutter becoming "sticky?" I clean my palio blades often with a q tip and isopropyl alcohol, works well for me.

My problem is that it is getting clogged with debris (tobacco) from the cut and is staying behind the blades.

mobarbq 08-26-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proguy747 (Post 1705880)
Cuban crafters are the best perfect cutters. I have received other perfect styles from events and they are not even close. They clog, dull and do not have a hole for torpedoes. Cuban crafters ftw.

Thanks. I'll have to give those a try!

poriggity 08-26-2012 05:59 PM

I still fail to see the point. Once you learn how to cut a cigar with a regular cutter, a "perfect" cutter should not be something that is needed.

mobarbq 08-26-2012 06:08 PM

I hardly ever use it (the perfect cutter). My credit card-size stainless steel cutter from Cusano is one I use most often. Like other guys I like gadgets and have a variety, including a Shuriken and a Colibri grip. I guess if someone had a disability which caused them to have trouble making just a thin slice off the end, a "perfect cutter" might be helpful? I'd be curious to know if anyone does prefer them over more conventional cutters.

Zane 08-26-2012 06:35 PM

As a fairly new smoker I picked up the "perfect cutter" from Cuban crafters. I have not had any issues with it getting clogged. It really helped in the beginning in not taking off to much of the cap. Now that I have a little more experience I could see switching to a nice double blade.

shibby4781 08-30-2012 12:59 PM

I don't use the Cuban Crafters one but I have similar ones from Blck Ops and just generic ones I have received with various orders. I love it! I have never had one clog, they are really inexpensive and they give me a relatively straight cut with out lopping off too much. This is especially helpful after a few drinks. The only problem is with torpedoes but a few extra snips takes care of that. I would like to try the Cuban Crafters one for the torpedoes some day. Overall, I'm very happy with this style of cutter.