Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Sylvester Stallone named to Boxing HOF! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39810)

Darrell 12-08-2010 08:41 AM

Sylvester Stallone named to Boxing HOF!

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...experts-292858

What's next? Is someone going to award Tom Hanks the Congressional Medal of Honor for his role in Saving Private Ryan? SMDH.

DonAustin 12-08-2010 09:01 AM

Re: Sylvester Stallone named to Boxing HOF!

Well I dont necessarily believe he shold have been inducted into the hall of fame but a recognition would have been a good fit. I know alot of people at the local boxing gym here in Charlotte that I smoke with, that say Rocky was the reason they wanted to take up boxing. Very influential in the boxing world.

ChicagoWhiteSox 12-08-2010 09:06 AM

That's a :sl in the face to the real boxers out there.

Darrell 12-08-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonAustin (Post 1086334)
Well I dont necessarily believe he shold have been inducted into the hall of fame but a recognition would have been a good fit. I know alot of people at the local boxing gym here in Charlotte that I smoke with, that say Rocky was the reason they wanted to take up boxing. Very influential in the boxing world.

I agree that recognition was in order, but induction is a bit much IMO.

T.G 12-08-2010 09:07 AM

Sounds like it's being clearly noted as being an honorary award due to contribution through film. They aren't making him out to be a boxer, just a supporter.
Might want to wait until they post the plaque of him in the hall to read what it says before shooting him and the HOF over this.

Plus, with all the popularity ground that boxing has lost to UFC in the last decade, they need all the help they can get.

Volt 12-08-2010 09:19 AM

No different than someone geting an honorary degree from a university. He definitly put boxing in the mainstream for many a year.

Skywalker 12-08-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 1086309)
What's next? Is someone going to award Tom Hanks the Congressional Medal of Honor for his role in Saving Private Ryan?

:r:r:r

ChicagoWhiteSox 12-08-2010 09:31 AM

http://larrybrownsports.com/boxing/s...-of-fame/42415

Volusianator 12-08-2010 09:49 AM

Good for Stallone, he was inducted into the proper catagory in the Boxing HOF and deserves his recognition.

icehog3 12-08-2010 10:27 AM

Stallone has made contributions to the sport beyond the Rocky movies...I agree with Adam and Wade.

Darrell 12-08-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1086432)
Stallone has made contributions to the sport beyond the Rocky movies...I agree with Adam and Wade.

Such as? I'm curious because I don't know.

mosesbotbol 12-08-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volusianator (Post 1086387)
Good for Stallone, he was inducted into the proper catagory in the Boxing HOF and deserves his recognition.

I agree. Stallone sure did a lot for boxing, not to mention that Rocky is a masterpiece of cinema.

icehog3 12-08-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 1086439)
Such as? I'm curious because I don't know.

Sly brought several boxers into the spotlight with "The Contender" boxing tournaments. Some have gone on to win world titles. He has also been a large financial supporter of amateur boxing.

Some even credit "Rocky IV" with ending the Cold War and ulitmately bringing down the Soviet Union.

I keed, I keed! :D

Darrell 12-08-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1086462)
Sly brought several boxers into the spotlight with "The Contender" boxing tournaments. Some have gone on to win world titles. He has also been a large financial supporter of amateur boxing.

Some even credit "Rocky IV" with ending the Cold War and ulitmately bringing down the Soviet Union.

I keed, I keed! :D

Oh well that's cool. Good for him, not sure I agree with him being inducted into the HOF, but I'm not arguing that he is a stand up guy.

and :r.

icehog3 12-08-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 1086463)
Oh well that's cool. Good for him, not sure I agree with him being inducted into the HOF, but I'm not arguing that he is a stand up guy.

and :r.

Hockey Hall of Fame has the same type of category, for "Contributions to the Sport". I would guess football and baseball HOFs as well.

rebelknight 12-08-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1086338)
Sounds like it's being clearly noted as being an honorary award due to contribution through film. They aren't making him out to be a boxer, just a supporter.
Might want to wait until they post the plaque of him in the hall to read what it says before shooting him and the HOF over this.

Plus, with all the popularity ground that boxing has lost to UFC in the last decade, they need all the help they can get.

Couldn't agree more. especially with the part about UFC subtracting from boxings popularity. I'm just praying the Pacquaio Mayweather fight happens and revitalizes the sport.

longknocker 12-08-2010 11:05 AM

I Don't See A Problem With It. Go Rocky!:tu

Darrell 12-08-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1086467)
Hockey Hall of Fame has the same type of category, for "Contributions to the Sport". I would guess football and baseball HOFs as well.

I didn't know that. I guess if it's pretty common across all the sports then good for Sly.

kelmac07 12-08-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 1086336)
That's a :sl in the face to the real boxers out there.

I agree.

TripleF 12-08-2010 11:25 AM

I can't imagine the amount of training that he underwent to produce those moveis and how many times he had to be re-punched because the last "take" wasn't just right......

Great contributions to the sport, he deserves it....... IMHO.