Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cigar preference (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42918)

76GTFan 02-25-2011 01:48 PM

Cigar preference

I have seen many folks inventory and the variety in them is vast. This question is for long time enthusiasts.

Is there anyone else that only prefers certain brands/blends. I have owed many different cigars in my time. Lately I have only been buying maybe a max of 6-7 different brands/blends. Maybe I am missing out. Maybe I just don't have the attention span at my age to keep track of the periodic table so to speak. I have overt 10 boxes worth of cigars, but they are mostly the few that I k ow I like. I am Pepin and not too many others. Maybe an Oliva V or rare AF when I feel it. Anyone else as old/closed minded as myself?

T.G 02-25-2011 02:00 PM

Re: Cigar preference

I love trying new cigars, to me, that's all part of the enjoyment of the hobby. I also love having cigars around where I know that when I reach for one it will be an enjoyable, satisfying smoke.

I get singles of the new stuff, and boxes of what I know I like.

68TriShield 02-25-2011 02:01 PM

When it comes to non Cuban cigars, there are maybe four or five different cigars that I'll buy regularly.
I do try some of the new NC cigars though.
I don't experiment too much anymore with Cuban cigars.There are maybe ten boxes that I'll cycle through,depending on whats available.

So yea I guess we have a similar view,preference wise.

76GTFan 02-25-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68TriShield (Post 1185018)
When it comes to non Cuban cigars, there are maybe four or five different cigars that I'll buy regularly.
I do try some of the new NC cigars though.
I don't experiment too much anymore with Cuban cigars.There are maybe ten boxes that I'll cycle through,depending on whats available.

So yea I guess we have a similar view,preference wise.

Maybe that's my next step. I have bought a few boxes of Cubans, but wouldn't know a fav if I had one. Funny how some have figured out there likes for NC's and not ISOMs, while opposite for others. Time to piss off the wife with some packages from elsewhere.

CigarNut 02-25-2011 02:23 PM

I used to experiement a lot more than I do now -- buying lots of samplers, etc. Now that I know more about what I like and what I don't like I find that I experiment less...

Now I tend to I stick with what I know -- both CC and NC. When I come across something new (gift, event, bomb, etc.) that I like I will add to my list of "what I know"...

76GTFan 02-25-2011 04:35 PM

Guess I am always open to new smokes. Just haven't seen anything groundbreaking aside from LE's. My only recent CC knowledge is RASS and Bolivar. Maybe a Monte 2. Maybe another Cuban refugee will defect that brings something NC to the table. Otherwise I will be making my next CC purchase. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?

Chemyst 02-25-2011 09:50 PM

You are not alone.

There are 6-8 fav brands/blends that are my regular smokes.
Most others are small purchases/trades to try something new.

It only took 3-4 yrs. of trying all different brands/blends to find
my fav 6-8.

Chemyst :cool2:

Ashcan Bill 02-25-2011 09:54 PM

I have a core group of maybe 15 CCs, and maybe 4 or 5 NCs, that I keep around. Those I stock by the box. In some cases, a fair number of boxes. Then there are a few that I may buy a box, smoke them, and then let time pass before buying another box.

I still enjoy smoking singles of everything and anything for the variety, but it's rare anymore I find something that blows my mind and gets added to the regular rotation.

So yeah, at this point in the game I'm pretty comfortable that I know what I like and it doesn't bother me to keep returning to them. I may be in a rut, but it's a comfortable rut. :ss

Bill86 02-25-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1185177)
Guess I am always open to new smokes. Just haven't seen anything groundbreaking aside from LE's. My only recent CC knowledge is RASS and Bolivar. Maybe a Monte 2. Maybe another Cuban refugee will defect that brings something NC to the table. Otherwise I will be making my next CC purchase. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?

PSD4's. So tasty, around $160-$170.

For me I don't stock NC's anymore I've just been too disappointed lately. There's maybe 2-3 NC cigars I like enough to buy a box. That said I've decided after dealing with the LE/EL bull$hit of NC's I'm going a different route with CC's. I'm only buying the regular lines, nothing regional, limited or anything I cannot get every day of the week. So far it's a fun ride and It's given me what I believe will be a life time of smokes I can enjoy for as long as I live.

cigarmonkel 02-26-2011 12:00 AM

i can't get myself to pull the trigger on an entire box of smokes which is why i don't buy CC's. BUT i'm really hoping to get to a good B&M when im out in london in may and have a few while i'm out there. The few CC's i have had though have been out standing.

taltos 02-26-2011 05:50 AM

I have about six brands that I purchase by the box and a couple that I will buy fivers of. I am happy with what I like and don't have a whole bunch of interest in trying the latest and greatest so I guess that I agree with the OP.

68TriShield 02-26-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

H.Upmann Connoisseur #1
RASCC
VR Famosos
RyJ Exhibition #4
RyJ Belicoso

kydsid 02-26-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68TriShield (Post 1185559)
H.Upmann Connoisseur #1
RASCC
VR Famosos
RyJ Exhibition #4
RyJ Belicoso

This man preaches the affordable good cigar truth. :tu

ajacobs 02-26-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Bolivar Belicoso finos

To the original question, I am back in an experiemental stage trying new stuff after a period of 8 or 9 years of smoking a padrons, fuente's and certain cc's. There certainly has been an upswing in quality of some of these non CC's coming on the market. When I entered the rut years ago it was because I was fed up of every time I would try something new it just didn't measure up to my standby's. I kept looking for something interesting and different but the quality wasn't there.

Patrick B 02-26-2011 11:35 AM

Pepin, Illusione, Oliva V, and Viaje make up 95% of what I smoke. I am fine with that. I try a lot of stuff, but those are staples.

kelmac07 02-26-2011 12:08 PM

I stick to a few (601 Blue, El Cobre, DPG JJ maduro, Viaje) but am always in the game to try a new maduro.

Krish the Fish 02-26-2011 12:09 PM

Pepin (inc. Tat), Viaje, Liga Privada, Fuente (Anejo) comprise my NC blends.

I'm searching more in Habanos. I just split an order with a buddy for VR Famosos, Boli RC, Upmann Mag 50, and Trini Robo T. I also ordered some Gold Medals and a Hoyo 3 pack a couple weeks before that. Also, I ordered a box of BHK 52 after. I have RASS, Siglo IV, Siglo VI on the way, and CoRos.

markem 02-26-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1185003)
Anyone else as old/closed minded as myself?

Smoke what makes you happy. Don't worry that your palette doesn't match that of someone else or that you don't have the same diversity or that others may not exactly like the same things that you like.

In the end, the only one you have to keep happy with your selection is you.

Nathan King 02-26-2011 12:54 PM

I'm always trying out new blends and brands mainly because I'm reviewing them. When I'm smoking a cigar at my leisure I have a small list of favorites:

Padron 1926
A. Fuente Hemingway
Fuente Fuente OpusX (Aged >2 years)

swh127 02-26-2011 01:30 PM

I love trying out new blends and brands. I buy boxes of what I like when I have the money but usually spend my cash on samplers with 4/5 of each cigar so I can smoke a variety. I am more of a full bodied cigar smoker but I still occasionally enjoy a mild-medium smoke with some complexity.

I agree smoke what you enjoy, but if you never try anything new you never know if you will be able to add the cigar to the list of what you enjoy.

Also, I always give a new cigar multiple tries in case my attitude, pallet, accompanying beverage does not give the cigar a fair chance that day.