Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Under $20 A Bottle Wine Thread: (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7466)

JohnnyFlake 01-05-2009 02:11 PM

The Under $20 A Bottle Wine Thread:

There is a great wine thread (The Wine Thread), that is already in process, and there are a few very knowledgeable wine enthusiast posting there. It's a great thread and should not be missed, however, for the most part, they seem to cover higher-end wines, which most of us can only afford on rare occasions. As a result, I decided to start this thread, for wines that are available, at under $20 a bottle.

Please post your recommendations, reviews and Super Sales Info. of any and all categories of wine, from all countries, HERE! The only guideline, is that the wine must be available, in retail stores, for $20 a bottle or less!!!

I'll start this out with a recommendation I received this morning from a relative living back in Illinois. It sounds like a winner, so I'll be on the look out for a bottle or two to try. If I find it, I'll post a review.

Mark West Pinot Noir '07 Ranked #1 of 52 "Light New World Reds Under $15"

FRANKLY, IT'S BETTER THAN MOST $30 PINOT!

The Wine Trials, July, 2008

"... compares well to Pinots selling for twice the price. At $15, the Central Coast Pinot offers superb value.”

Decanter Magazine (The U.K.'s leading wine magazine) on the Mark West Pinots

To say this wine is a bargain is an understatement. The color, aroma and flavor exhibit all the classic notes of what makes Pinot Noir so bewitching: exotic, mouthwatering aromas; plush flavors on a silky texture and that haunting whisper of earth on the finish. Unfortunately it can be hard to find a good Pinot Noir - there are certainly many more duds than beauties - from hollow and washed-out versions to the all-too-common over-extracted, over-oaked monstrosities (think of a delicate sushi-grade piece of Tuna being battered, deep-fried and smothered with ketchup). But the newly released 2007 Mark West Pinot is the real article: complex, elegant and supple. AND IT'S LESS THAN $10!

That's right, you get a superb Pinot Noir made from grapes grown in California's best appellations - such as Santa Barbara, Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino - that's aged using 100% French oak, made by one of the most brilliant winemakers on the west coast -- AND IT'S LESS THAN $10!!

It get's better. Buy one case or more and get 10% off your purchase! THAT'S LESS THAN $9!!! What a fantastic deal to start the New Year with. There is no other Pinot Noir sold today that even comes close to rivaling this kind of value, especially in a short-supply vintage like 2007.

TODAY'S SPECIAL OFFER
2007 Mark West Pinot Noir
California

Just $9.99 a bottle!

~ from winemaker Alex Cose:

Enticing aromas of rich cherry pie, raspberry preserves and ripe plums with barrel notes of exotic vanilla, golden molasses and shortbread cookie. Oak aging rounds out the palate and gives the wine its body. Juicy fruit on the palate tasting of dark red raspberry, jammy strawberry and baked peaches. Our 2007 drinks in juicy fresh berry flavors that stay bright and linger. The finish is full of bright red fruit flavors with a supple texture.

Sam's Price: $9.99 a 750ml bottle!

Bruzee 01-05-2009 03:42 PM

Re: The Under $20 A Bottle Wine Thread:

Great post!!! Most of my favs are all under $20. I'll post some later.

lightning9191 01-05-2009 03:51 PM

I really enjoy Cline's Ancient Vine Zin....good stuff for around $15

gvarsity 01-05-2009 05:11 PM

I am figuratively besotted with the Ercavio tempranillo and it runs $10-12 a bottle. Big, fruity very accessible. Takes a bit to really open up. I have many a bottle that didn't deliver at 2x-3x the price. It's not a "great" wine but it's a very tasty one. Although price can be a very deceiving factor.

JohnnyFlake 01-05-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvarsity (Post 151319)
I am figuratively besotted with the Ercavio tempranillo and it runs $10-12 a bottle. Big, fruity very accessible. Takes a bit to really open up. I have many a bottle that didn't deliver at 2x-3x the price. It's not a "great" wine but it's a very tasty one. Although price can be a very deceiving factor.

Are there any particular years that seem better than average to you? Where is this wine from?

JohnnyFlake 01-05-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning9191 (Post 151149)
I really enjoy Cline's Ancient Vine Zin....good stuff for around $15

Are there any particular years that seem better than average to you? Where is this wine from?

nozero 01-05-2009 07:23 PM

As with cigars my tastes in wine are rather immature, but I really like Llano Etacado's Riesling from Texas. It's around $11.00

JohnnyFlake 01-05-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nozero (Post 151627)
As with cigars my tastes in wine are rather immature, but I really like Llano Etacado's Riesling. It's around $11.00

Where is this wine from?

nozero 01-05-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 151638)
Where is this wine from?

Oops, edited my post to add it's from Texas.

From the link.
A short supply of high quality Texas Riesling has restricted our production. In order to provide our customers with an ample supply of this popular variety, we have utilized premium grapes and juice from Texas, Washington, and California.

mosesbotbol 01-06-2009 05:16 AM

I like Symington's Altano (Douro Red) 89WS can be found for under $10 and is amazing. Bought cases of it. Has some aging potential as well. There's also a reserve, for a little more.

Wine Spectator "A big structure and firm acidity give this red plenty of muscle, backed up by fresh, focused flavors of red plum, berry, cherry and spice. Crisp, clean finish. Tinta Roriz and Touriga Franca. Drink now through 2010. 35,000 cases made."

Buena Fortuna 01-06-2009 05:36 AM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...deadlyzins.jpg

Lustful Flavors:
A vibrant, sweet bouquet of raspberry jam, molasses and cinnamon toast evoke the senses of carefree youthful nights. Excellent oak integration provides silken tannins and spice to pair with Lodi’s unrestricted wild berry fruit.

Gluttonous Pairings:
Our 7 Deadly pairs sinfully well with BBQ’d Salmon, prime rib or grilled veggies. Get crazy with delectable dark chocolate desserts!

Schulenburg's vines, grubby with GREED,
Embrace Lodi's soil, to drink and to feed.
Oh Lord, forgive me my zin.
Secure in it's strength, weathered with PRIDE,
Standing like soldiers, the forest of Snyde.
Hearts filled with LUST, ole Maley's trees.
Court Lodi's sun, and flirt with it's breeze.
Good Bishofberger did raise some GLUTTONOUS beast,
Vines fattened like turkeys before Thanksgiving feast.
With the tilt of the glass, I commit seven zins,
Oh Lord, with your help... I'll do it again.
Indulge!

goalie204 01-06-2009 05:38 AM

Dont know much about wine, but Woodbridge by robert mondavi johannesburg riesling is my favorite for around 10 bux ish

scoot 01-09-2009 01:50 AM

Cisco Red and Night Train Express are a few of my favorites and can be found well under $10. Serve well chilled.

JohnnyFlake 01-09-2009 10:28 AM

I love the suggestions that are starting to pop up. I'm always looking for new wines to try.

May I suggest, that when suggestions are made, that a little more info be given. In addition to the name of the wine, it would be helpful to all, if the style of wine is mentioned, the country of origin and your favorite year, if applicable!

I find the country of origin to be extremely good info because in the largest liquor stores the wines are sectioned off by country of origin. This makes it much easier to locate a wine of name.

gvarsity 01-09-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvarsity (Post 151319)

Quote:

I'm partially to the 2006 but the 2007 is good as well.

http://www.bodegasercavio.com/

The vineyards are 60km east of Toledo Spain.

PeteSB75 01-09-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 152362)
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...deadlyzins.jpg

Lustful Flavors:
A vibrant, sweet bouquet of raspberry jam, molasses and cinnamon toast evoke the senses of carefree youthful nights. Excellent oak integration provides silken tannins and spice to pair with Lodi’s unrestricted wild berry fruit.

Gluttonous Pairings:
Our 7 Deadly pairs sinfully well with BBQ’d Salmon, prime rib or grilled veggies. Get crazy with delectable dark chocolate desserts!

Schulenburg's vines, grubby with GREED,
Embrace Lodi's soil, to drink and to feed.
Secure in it's strength, weathered with PRIDE,
Standing like soldiers, the forest of Snyde.
Hearts filled with LUST, ole Maley's trees.
Court Lodi's sun, and flirt with it's breeze.
Good Bishofberger did raise some GLUTTONOUS beast,
Vines fattened like turkeys before Thanksgiving feast.
With the tilt of the glass, I commit seven zins,
Oh Lord, with your help... I'll do it again.
Indulge!

I was just about to mention this. One of my favorite California Zins and an excellent buy at about $15-17 a bottle. I don't recall them doing vintage years on this one.

:eevis 01-09-2009 04:29 PM

NY has a lot of good wineries (sp?) Most of them run under $20. Well worth trying Hazlitt Red Cat, Bully Hill's Love my Goat or Le Goat Blush, and Heron HIll Riesling :2

BengalMan 01-10-2009 06:35 PM

I really like Ravenswood for under $20

JohnnyFlake 01-10-2009 07:01 PM

I just finished my last bottle of the following with dinner tonight. I had purchased six bottles, around Thanksgiving time, last year. This is a wonderful wine, at a great price. It can be had in the $10/$12 range, although, it's becoming hard to find now days. I'll be looking for a few more bottles this coming week.

Penfolds, 'Koonunga Hill', Shiraz Cabernet, 2006 - an Australian offering.

JohnnyFlake 01-23-2009 12:12 PM

I hear from friends in Chicago, that this is a great wine, at a very reasonable price! I'm going to see if I can find any in my area over the weekend!

2006 Santa Helena Pinot Noir
Gran Reserva Selecciòn, Casablanca, Chile
Just $12.99!!!

Here's the kind of Pinot that freaks Sideways' freaks: funky, fruity, famously layered in fragrance and flavor. The alluvial soils & cool pocket of Chile's Casablanca Valley turn out a Pinot that's a cross between what's best about Burgundy - those scents of the earth, meat & fecund earth - and Oregon - the red fruit flavors that jump out of the glass, into your nose, and slither deliciously down your throat. Terrific now, but can age profitably for another 18 months to two years. Try with dishes that mirror its complexity: braises, stews, vegetable lasagnas. Or eat it up with Burgundian cheeses such as Epoisses. Super yummy.