Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Details in the PACT Act (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33757)

macsauce13 07-07-2010 09:40 AM

Details in the PACT Act

If this needs to go to 'Legislation' I Understand, I just knew how many this would affect, and wanted people to see it.

TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIV) - The father of a local soldier serving in Afghanistan is raising a red flag Tuesday night about a ban on sending tobacco products to our troops overseas.

This involves the PACT ACT which limits Indian retailers from sending untaxed smokes through the U.S. Mail, but it apparently may also limit the troops from getting packages from home with tobacco.

Town of Tonawanda father Vince Dellapenta got a call yesterday morning from his son serving with the Army in Afghanistan.

Dellapenta said, "My son said any tobacco products that you have for me at home, ship 'em out now."

He had been told that after July 14th, he won't be able to receive tobacco through the US Mail anymore.

"Is this the time when you want to try to force somebody to try to quit smoking or using tobacco while they're out in the desert or mountains in Afghanistan. I don't think so. They don't need the added stress, said Dellapenta.

Vince immediately emailed his Military Family Readiness Group, which pointed out that there was an exception in the PACT ACT allowing tobacco to be mailed through military express mail, but that might not be enough to get the tobacco to the troops.

Dellapenta also added, "After looking at the final bill, the exemption for our military isn't there."

"I mean they don't have the PX available out there, so how else are they gonna get the stuff to them if we can't send it to them," stated Dellapenta.

So Tuesday afternoon, News 4 took the question to US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand who was in Buffalo visiting a job readiness site on Grant Street.

Senator Gillibrand said, "For those parents, I would urge them to call my office because there's no reason that they should be denied access to normal commerce for their sons and daughters that are serving in our military. The PACT ACT is only designed to keep young kids from getting access to cigarettes on line. That's the only purpose and if it has any other impact we will make sure that's not the impact."

newlifetaxidermy 07-07-2010 11:47 AM

Re: Details in the PACT Act

I might be mistaken, but I believe cigars are specifically exempted in the text of the bill.

Footbag 07-07-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newlifetaxidermy (Post 909466)
I might be mistaken, but I believe cigars are specifically exempted in the text of the bill.

Yup. That's what I heard as well.

macsauce13 07-07-2010 12:20 PM

I guess thats true. Still ridiculous though. ;)

cbsmokin 07-07-2010 12:41 PM

So does that mean they will be inspecting packages? How will they know if there is tobacco in a sealed box unless they open it? Does the military open every piece of mail sent? Are they in charge of enforcement?

kydsid 07-07-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbsmokin (Post 909517)
So does that mean they will be inspecting packages? Yes they already do

How will they know if there is tobacco in a sealed box unless they open it? When you send to an APO/FPO you file a customs declaration, that is how they will know

Does the military open every piece of mail sent? Are they in charge of enforcement? No they do not, yes and no are they in charge. The military works with and for the host country customs service who may or may not be present depending on the agreement and level of cooperation with each host.

See above