Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Bead question (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17093)

mrgto 06-16-2009 04:08 PM

Bead question

I have a small 20ct desktop humi with 65% heartfelt beads in it. i cant seem to get the humidity down to 65, it stays at a rock solid 72%. I have been experienceing some burn issues with some of my cigars. My question is how do i get it down to 65%. I thought the bead were suppose to regulate that, but they are not or i made a mistake somewhere. I seasoned the humi right. i have calibrated my hygrometer several times. I sprayed the beads like the instructions told me to. Any help would be great

Tim

The Poet 06-16-2009 04:13 PM

Re: Bead question

First question, what kind of hygro you got? If it's one of those cheesy dial type, it's pretty damn useless, and you're lucky if it's within 15% of correct.

Cheap and dirty solution to sticks you have that won't burn (aside from letting them age) - slip a few bone-dry dog rockets in to soak up some slop. Mmmmmm, Phillies.

bobarian 06-16-2009 04:33 PM

What is the outside rh? It may be you do not need to moisten your beads this time of the year. If you live in an area with high humidity, just use dry beads or moisten just a very small portion. Be sure you have calibrated your hygrometer using the salt test. This takes at least 24 hours. :2

mrgto 06-16-2009 04:46 PM

The hygro is a dial type that came with it, but when i did the salt test it sat right on 74% so i figured it was good. I just bought a digital hygro and am in the process of salt testing it.

The rh in the basement where i keep them is in the 50s. The outside rh is about 68% today.. I live in east Tn so the humidity is always pretty high in the summer.

Is it possible to over moisten the beads? The humi is only a couple hundred cubic inches big and i have heartfelt 65rh for up to 540cui.

The Poet 06-16-2009 04:54 PM

I would guess the inside would stabilize fairly quickly, if you leave it shut, even with too much aqua. If you don't wanna stick 'em in a dry-box for a time, or just let them rest where they are, then try rotating the sticks - top ones on bottom, bottom up, bands rolled face-down.

Or send the whole batch to me for proper disposal, if you don't wanna hassle. :ss

Old Sailor 06-16-2009 05:42 PM

Yes you can over wet beads, dry them out and see if that will bring it down.

GreekGodX 06-16-2009 06:02 PM

I would take the beads out and see what your humi is at after a few hours. Your humi maybe over humidified. See how that works.

mrgto 06-16-2009 07:40 PM

Thanks, i will try taking the beads out to dry them a little and see if that helps any. I guess i need to buy a bigger humi so i do not run into this problem anymore! :ss

SmokinCozy 06-16-2009 07:56 PM

In my desk top I have two tube with beads(70%). I found when I had both of them wet the rh would go over 70. Now I only moisten one and leave the other dry. This works for me and I am always between 65-69.