Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   USPS, huh? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61881)

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:28 AM

USPS, huh?

can anyone tell me what this means?

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/8...ca73bf2c_c.jpg Capture by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Package being sent to me from Mickey,
Supposed to be here yesterday?, yet arrived this morning 1 hour away in Asheville, and is not out for delivery?

Maybe this is why they are going out of business? or are they intentionally putting yesterdays date for delivery to make the process more frustrating? or am I just impatient?

Zane 05-16-2013 10:30 AM

Re: USPS, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1835438)
can anyone tell me what this means?

[IMG]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/8...ca73bf2c_c.jpg Capture by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Package being sent to me from Mickey,
Supposed to be here yesterday?, yet arrived this morning 1 hour away in Asheville, and is not out for delivery?

Maybe this is why they are going out of business? or are they intentionally putting yesterdays date for delivery to make the process more frustrating? or am I just impatient?

The expected delivery date is always 2 days from shipment. You just live in the middle of nowhere.

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:35 AM

then why in a world of wonderful computers is that not reflected in the information... certainly if I live in a black hole they know the package is in bound for a black hole and to add a day or two onto the delivery date... this is why I always end up pissed off at USPS... UPS and DHL, FEDEX all arrive when they say they will arrive... it can't be impossible for them...

T.G 05-16-2013 10:36 AM

Looks like the status just hasn't updated yet. Meh, it happens.

The expected delivery date is just that, expected. It is something that is computed at the time of shipping and is not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, go pay 2x-6x the price w/ UPS or FedEx.

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1835441)
Looks like it was accidentally misrouted. Meh, it happens.

The expected delivery date is just that, expected. It is something that is computed at the time of shipping and is not a guarantee. If you want a guarantee, go pay 2x-6x the price w/ UPS or FedEx.

IDK how they do routing... so I will take your word on it... that aside why is it not updated in the information? I would buy that this is an accident if it didn't happen with, and a am not BSing here, every single package that I have personally tracked...

pektel 05-16-2013 10:42 AM

USPS just has crappy tracking. I've had packages arrive at their destination before they update the system that it's out for delivery.

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 1835445)
USPS just has crappy tracking. I've had packages arrive at their destination before they update the system that it's out for delivery.

Fingers crossed this is what is happening...

bobarian 05-16-2013 10:44 AM

The number is a Delivery Confirmation number and it is included in the price of a Priority shipment. IT IS NOT A TRACKING NUMBER! There are other delivery services that will provide you tracking for an additional cost. :sh

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:46 AM

Ok... ok.... terminology aside is its purpose not one in the same?

Sincerely, I appreciate you guys trying to make me feel better about this... but I feel like I have been watching and waiting for water to boil...

T.G 05-16-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1835442)
IDK how they do routing... so I will take your word on it... that aside why is it not updated in the information? I would buy that this is an accident if it didn't happen with, and a am not BSing here, every single package that I have personally tracked...

On second glance, it might not be a misroute, I was initially under the (mistaken) impression that Charolette was your PO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually on the truck for delivery, the status just isn't updated yet. USPS's system was designed differently than the other carriers, their systems were always designed to track every package movement, USPS's, on the other hand, was originally only designed to track actual deliveries, so not everything updates in real-time.

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1835450)
On second glance, it might not be a misroute, I was initially under the (mistaken) impression that Charolette was your PO. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually on the truck for delivery, the status just isn't updated yet. USPS's system was designed differently than the other carriers, their systems were always designed to track every package movement, USPS's, on the other hand, was originally only designed to track actual deliveries, so not everything updates in real-time.

Hope so... mail usually comes around 3pm here so only 2 more hours of uncertainty... :(

14holestogie 05-16-2013 10:54 AM

chill....

Robulous78 05-16-2013 10:56 AM

ok ok... I'll try to keep composure... but I know I can't be the only one that has issues like this with them... constantly...

markem 05-16-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1835454)
ok ok... I'll try to keep composure... but I know I can't be the only one that has issues like this with them... constantly...

delivery confirmation is supposed to confirm when the package is delivered, QED, full stop, game over. All other intermediate information is a bonus and is generated primarily for internal USPS consumption, but some find it useful to stare at the partial tracking info in order to plan their lives.

But never use it for tracking. Heck, even the supposedly real tracking numbers for international are unreliable because the receiving country doesn't provide tracking feedback to USPS.

Btw, if this is high enough on the priority list to actually bug you, I want your priority list. 'cuz it's way below #10,000 on mine.

irratebass 05-16-2013 11:20 AM

Just do like I did with Columbia house and BMG back in the day, forget about it and when it arrives in the mail it's like a holiday....it's coming bro.....patience grasshoppa

CigarNut 05-16-2013 11:24 AM

If it is urgent then use an overnight delivery service. If 2-3 day delivery at a great price is acceptable then USPS does an excellent job.

T.G 05-16-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1835449)
Ok... ok.... terminology aside is its purpose not one in the same?

Sincerely, I appreciate you guys trying to make me feel better about this... but I feel like I have been watching and waiting for water to boil...

The difference is the guarantee, or lack thereof.

Even though USPS changed "Delivery Confirmation" to be "USPS Tracking" sometime earlier this year (late Jan or Feb IIRC), and is providing status updates to the package movements, it's not guaranteed. Neither the package movement updates nor the delivery date, so it's basically the same as what you had before just with the possibility of seeing where the package is/was accurate to a 6-8 hour window. So, yeah, they have status up there, but don't count on it, just count on the confirmation of delivery part.

markem 05-16-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1835466)
So, yeah, they have status up there, but don't count on it, just count on the confirmation of delivery part.

provided it is scanned at the receiving end, which in some areas is a crap shoot.

racerX 05-16-2013 11:31 AM

So what's in the box?

T.G 05-16-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 1835467)
provided it is scanned at the receiving end, which in some areas is a crap shoot.

Good point, all falls under that "lack of a guarantee" issue.