Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Flavours you don't like in a cigar? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3232)

spincycle 11-03-2008 11:21 AM

Flavours you don't like in a cigar?

I smoked an AF Hemingway something or other (it was part of a massive sampler buy) on Friday. Great burn, lots of smoke, full bodied, spicy and leathery.. leathery.. hrmm..

I'm still a noob and discovering the flavours I enjoy in cigars, but I think I can put leather on the do-not-like list. The entire time I was smoking, I kept having visions of chewing on a 80's biker jacket. Though there were other flavours, leather was predominant, and spoiled the rest of the cigar flavours for me.

So what about you guys? What flavours don't you like?

icehog3 11-03-2008 11:22 AM

Re: Flavours you don't like in a cigar?

Olives....have smoked a couple vintage cigars in Puff-Puff-Passes that had a strong flavor of olives, which I don't care for. I would actually skip those cigars when they came around to me in the P-P-P.

Ace$nyper 11-03-2008 11:23 AM

I'm sorry but the way you summed that up left me in tears!

Not everyone enjoys everything and that's quite alright, I myself do not like Candella or lacking a better word for it and "Olde Worlde" Flavor.

replicant_argent 11-03-2008 11:25 AM

Not having tasted it in particular, yet having heard it described many times...

Ass.

And on a more serious note, astringent or metallic tastes turn me off right away. I am not a fan of the whole "chewing on tinfoil" kind of thing.

skibumdc 11-03-2008 11:25 AM

Tobacco.
I kid I kid.
I don't like it when I get a cigar that taste like smoking an ashtray.
My last Oliva V Torpedo was like that. Left me wondering why people put such high praise to it.

NCRadioMan 11-03-2008 11:27 AM

Soap! :pu

Don Fernando 11-03-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spincycle (Post 48734)
I smoked an AF Hemingway something or other (it was part of a massive sampler buy) on Friday. Great burn, lots of smoke, full bodied, spicy and leathery.. leathery.. hrmm..

I'm still a noob and discovering the flavours I enjoy in cigars, but I think I can put leather on the do-not-like list. The entire time I was smoking, I kept having visions of chewing on a 80's biker jacket. Though there were other flavours, leather was predominant, and spoiled the rest of the cigar flavours for me.

So what about you guys? What flavours don't you like?

well, I would recommend you'de stay away from Cubans then.

a flavour I hate in cigars is raisin.

mosesbotbol 11-03-2008 11:30 AM

I do not like overly vegetal or grassy tasting cigars. Cigar should have complexity and balanced flavors. Cigars should be well cured and manufactured.

spincycle 11-03-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 48749)
Not having tasted it in particular, yet having heard it described many times...

Ass.

:r:r:r:r:r:r

spincycle 11-03-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 48759)
I do not like overly vegetal or grassy tasting cigars. Cigar should have complexity and balanced flavors. Cigars should be well cured and manufactured.

Now grassy is something I enjoy! I smoked a Monte #4 not to long ago, and it was the "burning straw hat" undertone that I loved!

dcamacho 11-03-2008 11:58 AM

spicy/peppery ... i think im one of the fews, but i just dont get the hype with cigars that have way to much spice in them.

hoax 11-03-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcamacho (Post 48828)
spicy/peppery ... i think im one of the fews, but i just dont get the hype with cigars that have way to much spice in them.

Ditto.

Spicy to me tastes harsh and cheap.

GhostRyder 11-03-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax (Post 48833)
Ditto.

Spicy to me tastes harsh and cheap.

I agree completely. Although still a n00b, maybe my tastes will change. I love the chocolatey, coffee, etc tastes. When a cigar is too peppery it takes away from the experience for me.

Waynegro1 11-03-2008 12:13 PM

Cigars infused with sweet flavors. I'm not talking about the natural sweetness of a maduro wrapper or the sweet coffee or mocha undertones. I'm talking about artificially infusing/flavoring a cigar to make it taste like a particular fruit, libation, candy etc. Such as CAO Flavors, Acid and the list could go on. It's not that I haven't given them a fair shake, I've tried many. I just don't dig them. I also dislike bitter and salty "flavours" (in cigars).

mosesbotbol 11-03-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spincycle (Post 48771)
Now grassy is something I enjoy! I smoked a Monte #4 not to long ago, and it was the "burning straw hat" undertone that I loved!

I would describe "straw hat" and "grassy" as being different. Have you smoked a Vegueros? Now that has the grassy flavor I do not enjoy. Grassy should taste like... grass/lawn. The Vegueros is just like a fresh cut lawn. I like the smell of fresh cut lawns, but do not like the taste.

Sauer Grapes 11-03-2008 12:18 PM

Incense, perfume, cologne, grape, pineapple, watermelon, kuba kuba... er... not to name specifics.

In a real cigar, I tasted buttered broccoli once. I didn't hate it, but I didn't exactly like it.

bobarian 11-03-2008 12:22 PM

I dont like metallic tastes. Dead fish(Cremosa) and rotting grass(Angry Elf) are also low on my pleasure meter. :fl

Scottw 11-03-2008 12:23 PM

Poop.

nozero 11-03-2008 12:23 PM

Bitterness in taste or finish.

Python 11-03-2008 12:36 PM

The flavors I hate tasting in cigars are grassy, vegetal, used ashtray, poop (not kidding, but it was more of aroma than taste), and bitterness.