Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   What's in your smoker? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21946)

forgop 07-19-2011 08:14 AM

Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1340941)
I often wonder who EATS all that stuff.

I usually eat for a week each time I fire up the WSM, but today's smoke is for a "pitch in" lunch with 6 of my nursing classmates and clinical instructor. They've been tortured enough watching me bring in ribs to eat for lunch week after week. :)

forgop 07-19-2011 12:32 PM

Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.

ucla695 07-19-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1342365)
Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.

Ouch. :gary

pnoon 07-19-2011 05:44 PM

No pics. But worth sharing.
Beef Jerky

Chainsaw13 07-19-2011 05:47 PM

The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?

forgop 07-19-2011 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry. :(

pnoon 07-19-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1342735)
The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?

between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.
I wouldn't go more than 1/4"

ucla695 07-20-2011 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1342760)
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry. :(

Those still look delicious. What remote thermometer were you using? I've had problems with my Maverick ET-73 doing that and upgraded to the ET-732.

OLS 07-21-2011 11:14 AM

Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.

forgop 07-21-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1345194)
Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.

I'm backing off the atkins for awhile now and going back to WW. Won't be firing up the smoker for awhile now.

OLS 07-23-2011 10:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Bummer.....More reasons for the Smoker thread to be slow...:(

BUT here is an offering, something MUST be going around, my pics are blurry TOO.
I think it's a camera virus.

Cranked up 8 chicken legs and a small butt today. I wanted to show my landlady that I appreciate
her getting off her ass a lot lately and spraying down the patio and trying to generally hold up her end of
the bargain around here. So i gave her 4 chicken legs and a small butt. I usually give her scraps, barely a tenth
of what I make for myself. i used to give her a half a rack of ribs every weekend, but she started pissing me off.

Where was I?? Oh yeah...believe it or not, I remembered to take PIX, lol. Well the chicken legs almost got away....
PS...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.

Chainsaw13 07-23-2011 07:15 PM

Got a 5.5lb flat end today that'll go on the smoker tomorrow. I don't think my Bradley will get hot enough to do a H&F cooking method, but I"ll crank it as high as I can and see what happens.

fxpose 07-25-2011 11:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I cooked up some chicken thighs on my new UDS.

OLS 07-25-2011 06:01 PM

That's a particularly sweet rendition of the old UDS.

ucla695 07-26-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxpose (Post 1349020)

Looking good! :tu

OLS 07-29-2011 06:40 AM

OMG it is the weekend already! As little as I do on a Friday, I call it the weekend. This weekend is special, because
I have to be VERY careful not to rush it or waste it. I am in the Smokies all next week, but I can't arrive before Monday
morning, so there is no need to rush through the weekend to hurry up and get the Smokies here faster. I need to
cook up 4 racks of BBRs on Sunday, I have a butt pulled and seasoned and sauced in the freezer to take with me, and
I might cold smoke some catfish after I am all done with the meat. The smoker gets a real workout this weekend. I might
get by the Kroooger store and check on reduced meat and have a marathon Smokeapalooza.

BigAsh 07-29-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1347387)

...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.

WINNER WINNER!....Crispy Smoked Chicken Legs Dinner!!....that's a feat I've yet to pull off on the smoker

Quote:

Looked mighty tasty!!

OLS 07-30-2011 08:09 AM

In a development sure to make Keith BigAsh whimper, I picked up a dozen chicken legs today, So I am all set now to make
it that much worse in the morning. I was going to try for crispy skin again, but it will be tough with other meats on the
grate to get the temps up too high. I don't want to ruin 60 bucks worth of meat to cook 4 dollars worth of chicken
legs to perfection, lol.

I also saw they had some cross-cut beef short ribs marked down, and a rack of cut dino-bone beef ribs just covered with meat
so I had to pick those up as well. It's gonna be a multi-species smoke for the Smokies.

OLS 07-30-2011 05:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yummy yummy. Chicken legs and short ribs, done to a turn!

Smokin Gator 07-31-2011 04:30 AM

Did about six pounds of beef jerky yesterday. 3 hours in the smoke with mesquite and finished off in the dehydrator.

That is one sweet lookin' UDS by the way!!!

OLS 07-31-2011 08:36 AM

Three racks of backs on the smoker this morning. This will be my yearly trip down the "Five hours of labor,
five minutes of gluttony" aspect of meat smoking that many of you see about half the time or more. Feeding many
hungry mouths tomorrow night.

MarkinAZ 07-31-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1342760)
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker.

Great looking ribs Duane...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1347387)
Cranked up 8 chicken legs and a small butt today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1354934)
Yummy yummy. Chicken legs and short ribs, done to a turn!

All that meat looks:dr Brad...

Quote:

I agree with Brent. That UDS rocks:banger

Nothing in the smoker today, but I do have a 3lb pork shoulder swimming underneath some A&W root beer in the slow cooker. Pulled pork sandwiches later this afternoon:noon

OLS 07-31-2011 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That old tray, pfft...

THIS is the real attraction of the weekend. I might get two bones off of this....There is another rack out of sight
But it would not frame up very attractively in the end. But there is another as Yoda said. I get to spend time with
my larger extended family as they tell me how awesome my ribs are. Outside of the cooler temperaturtes at elevation,
can you imagine a greater start to a week in the Smokies? I sure can't. That white powder on the top is a combination
of onion powder and garlic powder with some kosher salt. I try not to add these items to the rub pre-cook. They die a black death.

BigAsh 07-31-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1355498)
That old tray, pfft...

THIS is the real attraction of the weekend. I might get two bones off of this....There is another rack out of sight
But it would not frame up very attractively in the end. But there is another as Yoda said. I get to spend time with
my larger extended family as they tell me how awesome my ribs are. Outside of the cooler temperaturtes at elevation,
can you imagine a greater start to a week in the Smokies? I sure can't. That white powder on the top is a combination
of onion powder and garlic powder with some kosher salt. I try not to add these items to the rub pre-cook. They die a black death.

Damn son!....Looking good Brad!

BigAsh 07-31-2011 06:43 PM

I was happy to have some free time today....3 racks of bb's, 2 fatties, and some Italian sausage....smoked over lump with some cherry wood...rasberry chipotle glaze to finish....

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/43e82d05.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/26257330.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/ea51f682.jpg

Smokin Gator 07-31-2011 07:15 PM

Keith... you done yourself proud!!!! I really have a hard time believing you aren't from the south!!!

Old Sailor 07-31-2011 07:16 PM

4 lb pork shoulder, potatoes and apple backed beans!
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/bosunb/003.jpg

Fordman4ever 07-31-2011 07:18 PM

Looking good Keith, I'm going to try to do some fattys soon.

forgop 07-31-2011 08:27 PM

Anyone like watching BBQ Pitmasters? I like it-I think I've picked up a couple of pointers from watching it. It's funny watching how they talk trash to one another. I can't imagine how these people travel all over doing these competitions all the time because by the time you pay for equipment, gas, meat, etc, you really have to hit $1k+ every time out just to break even. Has anyone ever tried any of their food?

wayner123 08-01-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1355874)
Anyone like watching BBQ Pitmasters? I like it-I think I've picked up a couple of pointers from watching it. It's funny watching how they talk trash to one another. I can't imagine how these people travel all over doing these competitions all the time because by the time you pay for equipment, gas, meat, etc, you really have to hit $1k+ every time out just to break even. Has anyone ever tried any of their food?

I liked the first season. The way they can do it, is because competition only helps them to charge more for the real money maker.... catering. Most all of the big boys do catering. They also have BBQ sauces, smokers, etc that they get money from as well. Winning competitions just allow them to charge more.

Cooking for competition and cooking for home eating are two different worlds entirely.

Steve 08-01-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1356447)
Cooking for competition and cooking for home eating are two different worlds entirely.

I agree. While I know that Myron Mixon can definately cook hog, I was seriously underwhelmed when I ate at Jack's Old South in Vienna.

My :2

Smokin Gator 08-01-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1355874)
Has anyone ever tried any of their food?

I have competed against a lot of the big names in the south and some from out west. My partner on our cook team is good friends with Myron Mixon so we have been next to his cook site quite a few times. The man can flat cook some competition BBQ!!! The guy that cooks with him, Dobie, is one heck of a cook as well. I have eaten Myrons competition food many times and it is very good. You always feel good when you beat him and he has always been gracious either way.

I have only seen the show a couple of times and haven't talked to Myron about it. I figured they made him out to be the "bad guy" just because he does always dress in all black and kind of fits the bill.

Wayne and Steve are correct though... cooking for a competition is nothing like what you do at home. A restaurant could never afford to put the time/effort/money into what is done for a competition.

DMK 08-01-2011 10:22 AM

A nice 7 to 7 1/2 lb pork shoulder :dr
Just about 2/3's the way done when I just checked it.
Pics to follow.

GWN 08-01-2011 10:48 AM

Bought my first smoker this week (still waiting for the side firebox to come in) and after seasoning it, broke it in with a few racks of ribs. Did them over a water pan of apple juice and water and spritzed them with straight juice throughout the cook. Turned out really well for my first outing.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...f/DSCN4225.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...f/DSCN4231.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...f/DSCN4235.jpg

GWN 08-01-2011 10:51 AM

Going for some chicken quarters tonight.
Grabbed a couple of premade rubs out the cupboard and mixed up another one for those who don't like things too hot. Made with some awesome paprika from a Polish deli around the corner, some mustard, garlic and other spices. Everything sitting in the fridge now awaiting the grill.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...f/DSCN4253.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...f/DSCN4256.jpg

Scothew 08-01-2011 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN (Post 1356555)
Going for some chicken quarters tonight.

nice! Thats what we had last night. I brined mine about 4-5 hours first though, and used a shelf bought rub on mine. I didnt fire up the smoker, I cheated and used the grill with some pecan on the coals. Cooked about 2.5 hours like this and they turned out great.

cricky101 08-01-2011 12:02 PM

I smoked two, eight-pound pork butts on Friday with hickory and Plowboy's Rub. They turned out awesome. And now there's a bunch in the freezer for a "rainy day."

forgop 08-01-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1356447)
I liked the first season. The way they can do it, is because competition only helps them to charge more for the real money maker.... catering. Most all of the big boys do catering. They also have BBQ sauces, smokers, etc that they get money from as well. Winning competitions just allow them to charge more.

I get that competition is a lot different than home. I see myron has a cookbook out, but there's no way he reveals all of his secrets. It's just funny watching how much effort they put in the box building when I could care less about the appearance as long as the taste is there.

wayner123 08-01-2011 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1356644)
I get that competition is a lot different than home. I see myron has a cookbook out, but there's no way he reveals all of his secrets. It's just funny watching how much effort they put in the box building when I could care less about the appearance as long as the taste is there.

Well in judging BBQ taste is not the only factor. Here is a breakdown of the scoring/judging:

http://www.americanroyal.com/Default.aspx?tabid=370

Remember too that the judges for these events are eating a ton of meat over the course of a judging session. They usually only take 1 bite. That one bite has to have all the flavor and power to WOW them.

Steve 08-01-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1356644)

I have a series of videos that KCBS put out several years ago with Tom Lilly and a couple of other pro-circuit cookers. It's kindo interesting hearing what the guys tell you they are putting in thier rubs and injections. It's a lot like listening to someone tell you about thier favorite fishing spots; it's what they don't tell you that should speak louder than what they do tell you!

357 08-02-2011 07:13 AM

Well, it wasn't in my smoker, but it was in A smoker on my deck at my herf on Saturday :tu

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_3037.jpg

Two full size bacon explosions and 3 or 4 "bacon bursts".

Mikes 08-02-2011 07:23 AM

omg! yum

Chainsaw13 08-02-2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 1357497)
Well, it wasn't in my smoker, but it was in A smoker on my deck at my herf on Saturday :tu

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_3037.jpg

Two full size bacon explosions and 3 or 4 "bacon bursts".

I like the bacon bursts (thanks Ender). Gonna have to make them for the next party I have with my friends.

Stevez 08-02-2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Sailor (Post 1355775)
4 lb pork shoulder, potatoes and apple backed beans!
http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t336/bosunb/003.jpg

Looks great Dave. I LOVE those beans, but have never tried them on the smoker with a butt on top. Bet that really helps. Gotta try soon. Thanks for sharing the pics. Steve

Steve 08-02-2011 10:04 AM

I almost always cook my beans under my pork butts, it adds greatly to the flavor in my opinion. Be careful if you have salt in your rub though. I usually move my beans out from under after a couple of hours, otherwise I find mine get a bit too salty for my taste.

YMMV!

ucla695 08-02-2011 10:16 AM

Those fatties look awesome! :dr

The next time I do pulled pork, I'm going to do beans too and use the drippings!

wayner123 08-02-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla695 (Post 1357622)
Those fatties look awesome! :dr

The next time I do pulled pork, I'm going to do beans too and use the drippings!

When doing this, remember to use less salt in your rub or else you can ruin the beans. If you don't want to take that chance you can always just make the beans afterwards using this recipe: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...4/m/5670069613

Steve 08-02-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1357802)
When doing this, remember to use less salt in your rub or else you can ruin the beans.

Agreed

:noon

cort 08-02-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla695 (Post 1357622)

Is there any other way?;)

Gonna fire up the UDS this afternoon and throw down a few racks of BB's.

ucla695 08-02-2011 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cort (Post 1357867)
Gonna fire up the UDS this afternoon and throw down a few racks of BB's.

:tu What time's deener?