Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Candela- The forgotten wrapper? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10518)

Emjaysmash 02-18-2009 10:54 AM

Candela- The forgotten wrapper?

Started This thread at the other place, but figured it could get a good deal of discussion here as well.

I was wondering if anyone still smokes these cigars? I recently got a small sampler pack from a friend, and have started to review them. Here's the first.

http://thecigarspy.com/wp-content/up...0201091446.jpg

Cigar: Camacho Candela Monarca
Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Candela
Binder: Honduran
Filler: Honduran
Body: Mild-Med.
Appearence: This jolly green giant has a silky smooth wrapper that is very well constructed. Very few veins can be seen and its all topped off with a bright green cap. Other than the color (which reminds me of brussel sprouts) this is a beautifully made cigar.
Pre-light: I used a punch cut on this guy; I found the draw to be extremely loose. I know I would have to smoke this thing slowly in order to prevent “hot boxing” it. The dry taste was that of parsley.
Flavors: To sum it up in a word: bitter. The honduran tobacco ( which, to my taste is a slightly mted tobacco flavor and tends to be a bit boring) was over powered by the taste of a bitter, leafy sort of flavor. Reminded me of eating grass or leaves (don’t ask.) Honestly, it tasted like this cigar was picked too early from it’s blossoming cigar tree. (Ah if only cigars grew on trees…)
Overall: It being my first Candela cigar, the Camacho Monarca didn’t go over that well. Unless you like eating fresh leaves, grass, and happen to be a goat, then this cigar is probably not for you.

SO What do you guys think? Have you tried any candelas? what did you think? LEts get some banter on this!
-MJ

ActionAndy 02-18-2009 11:27 AM

Re: Candela- The forgotten wrapper?

I was actually looking into this the other day because I realized I had never had more than one candela. Someone with more info will probably chime in, but weren't candela wrappers huge in America at some point?

I've smoked one Camacho Candela and...don't remember anything about it. I guess that's a review.

Emjaysmash 02-18-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ActionAndy (Post 242441)
Someone with more info will probably chime in, but weren't candela wrappers huge in America at some point?

I believe you are correct. Candela used to be the most popular wrapper a couple decades ago. Like baseball is America's favorite Sport, Candela was america's favorite wrapper.

renton20 02-18-2009 11:59 AM

I've been wanting to try these for a while as they are almost the only camacho that I've never had. I've heard of these being the same blend as the corojo with just a different wrapper, if so I'm surprised that this was so bland.

Anyways, thanks for the great review MJ :ss

Gone Dave 02-18-2009 12:04 PM

I have never had one, but I do know this..
1st- Col. Klink of Hogans Heroes usually pulls the green monsters from his desk top..
2nd- There is a special at "Tampa" for some curly heads, florafinas, and somethin' else but I cannot remember..:) right now..:cool2::2

Commander Quan 02-18-2009 12:33 PM

I've had a couple different Candela wrapped cigars and none of them have been overly impressive. While I've never gotten the grass flavor that you had it's always been a very light flavor probably the best way to describe it is a weak tea flavor or green tea. I've never had the Camacho but thought that if there was a candela wrapped cigar that actually had bold flavors this would be it.

Starscream 02-18-2009 12:34 PM

I tried a Felipe Gregorio candela once. It had no taste. Didn't make me want to try another candela wrapper.

shilala 02-18-2009 12:35 PM

Fuente's candela is absolutely horrid. So bad that I've vowed to never smoke another green cigar. Evar. :)

Don Fernando 02-18-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 242541)
Fuente's candela is absolutely horrid. So bad that I've vowed to never smoke another green cigar. Evar. :)

not even a 'Game'? I think you would really enjoy this one Scott :)

mosesbotbol 02-18-2009 12:42 PM

I have had Candela habanos. Is Candela the fermantation method or actual leaf variety? I assumed it was just a fermantation method that yields a "candela wrapper".

shilala 02-18-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 242547)
not even a 'Game'? I think you would really enjoy this one Scott :)

Not a chance in Hell. I have an Angry Elf in my humi. I'll keep it forever cause Papajohn sent it to me, but I ain't smokin it. :D

ActionAndy 02-18-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 242554)
I have had Candela habanos. Is Candela the fermantation method or actual leaf variety? I assumed it was just a fermantation method that yields a "candela wrapper".

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong since this isn't a researched statement (at work) but I believe it's just a very young leaf that hasn't been cured as long as normal wrappers.

Skywalker 02-18-2009 12:47 PM

I think you just shot the photo using a green lens!!!:r

J/K

Thanks for the review!!!:D

Commander Quan 02-18-2009 01:33 PM

Article about candela production from cigar aficionado. It's a little long but a pretty interesting read.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2,1251,00.html

Darrell 02-18-2009 01:36 PM

You use a bic? :pu

I guess it does not really matter when you're smoking a Candela.

BlackIrish 02-18-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 242538)
I've had a couple different Candela wrapped cigars and none of them have been overly impressive. While I've never gotten the grass flavor that you had it's always been a very light flavor probably the best way to describe it is a weak tea flavor or green tea. I've never had the Camacho but thought that if there was a candela wrapped cigar that actually had bold flavors this would be it.

My experience exactly. Flavors of weak green tea, grassy, and not to my liking.

Emjaysmash 02-18-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 242647)
You use a bic? :pu

I guess it does not really matter when you're smoking a Candela.

Honestly I put the bic in there to go along with the green theme. I used my Ronson to torch the sucker.

omowasu 02-18-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIrish (Post 242859)
My experience exactly. Flavors of weak green tea, grassy, and not to my liking.

I have tried several candelas and none were to my liking. The Fuente Flor Fina candela was actually bitter, a flavor that I do not value in cigars. Other candelas were like smoking yard clippings. The only couple candelas I have liked were CC filler cigars.

So, bitter it is, and bitter I agree with.

Ratters 02-18-2009 11:23 PM

I love Camachos, but yeah, these taste like ass. I've had two other Candelas and yeah, mild, grassy, and bitter are seem to be the common qualities.

Wanger 02-19-2009 06:13 AM

When my son was born, I gave Iguana candela cigars out to my friends who were into reptiles. I had a few of them. They weren't half bad, to me. A nice change of pace, and I thought that they had a rather sweet flavor to them. It's been a while since I've smoked one, and I know my tastes have changed since then, so who knows if I'd still like them.