Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12699)

Whee 03-25-2009 11:30 AM

A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon

I'm a gin guy. Love the pine tree floats. Martini's with blue cheese stuffed olvies....mmmm mmmm mmmm.

But I don't drink too much of anything, else. So I thought I would start some threads so those of you with experience in various beverages could help those of us less enlightened.

So here's what I am looking for. Post up a good beginning brand of Bourbon. Something to ease into, a "gateway" bourbon if you will. Also, if there is a certain method to drink it, ie neat, on the rocks, straight up, swiggin from the bottle, post that as well.

Any other knowledge that you feel a newbie Bourbon drinker can benefit from, please post that as well.

Push us down the slope....:al

ade06 03-25-2009 11:50 AM

Re: A Beginner's Guide to....Bourbon

You can't go wrong with either Maker's Mark or Jack Daniels. I prefer to drink my Bourbon either on the rocks or with coke. If I'm out and about and want to swig from a bottle or I know that I'll be drinking without ice available, I go for Southern Comfort because it's sweet and it goes down smooth.

Mr.Maduro 03-25-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ade06 (Post 303236)
You can't go wrong with either Maker's Mark or Jack Daniels. I prefer to drink my Bourbon either on the rocks or with coke. If I'm out and about and want to swig from a bottle or I know that I'll be drinking without ice available, I go for Southern Comfort because it's sweet and it goes down smooth.

Jack Daniels is not a bourbon. :tu

Check out this thread...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=337

Tripp 03-25-2009 11:58 AM

I say go for Bulleit. It's a great entry level, classic style bourbon.

spooble 03-25-2009 12:03 PM

Lots of good info in that thread Patrick linked to.

As for my opinion... I'd say give Woodford Reserve a try. I find that it is most excellent neat, on the rocks, with coke (1:1 ratio), and yes... even straight from the bottle. :tu

Commander Quan 03-25-2009 12:06 PM

Knob Creek if a widely available Bourbon and goes down smooooth, A couple ice cubes and you are good to go

Whee 03-25-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spooble (Post 303250)
Lots of good info in that thread Patrick linked to.

As for my opinion... I'd say give Woodford Reserve a try. I find that it is most excellent neat, on the rocks, with coke (1:1 ratio), and yes... even straight from the bottle. :tu

I have been through that thread, lots of great info, but was looking to narrow it down to those that would be good bourbons to try for those of us who don't drink it.

Thanks for the input so far!:tu

ade06 03-25-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro (Post 303240)
Jack Daniels is not a bourbon. :tu

Check out this thread...

My bad, while both Jack Daniels and SoCo are not technically bourbons (SoCo is mixed with bourbon). They sure do taste like bourbon to me. :al

BengalMan 03-25-2009 12:19 PM

There is a 14 page thread on bourbon here:

tsolomon 03-25-2009 12:21 PM

I started with Evan Williams Single Barrel and Eagle Rare 10 year. Both are very smooth with Evan Williams having a slight caramel or vanilla taste. Small batch and single barrel bourbons all have a unique taste, so you should try several. Woodford Reserve is my current go to bourbon, both smooth and tasty. When I want a little more flavor I grab the Knob Creek for a sweet and rich caramel flavor, but it can overpower some cigars.

I drink bourbon neat or with 1 ice cube. I always keep a bottle of Maker's Mark around as it's good for drinking neat or mixing. :al

Scottw 03-25-2009 12:47 PM

Evan Williams single barrel or Eagle Rare 17 are great was to start. EW, in my opinion is a tremendous value at $20 per bottle.

awsmith4 03-25-2009 12:54 PM

Definitely check out the other thread...but a great starter bourbon is Makers Mark.Yeah yeah its not the best but it is very mild to start with. Start with pouring bourbon on the rocks with a tad bit of water and work up to sipping it neat. Personally I think bourbon goes better with cigars than any other beverage :2

Whee 03-25-2009 12:55 PM

Let me phrase it another way.

If a buddy of mine, who had never smoked a cigar before, asked me for a smoke, I would not reach into my humi and pull out an Opus or an RP Edge maduro. That would kill him! I would probably reach in and give him a 5 Vegas Gold, an Ashton or a CAO Gold to start with. Nice and mild, get the cigar flavor, but won't put you off to cigars as a stronger first smoke might.

So what is the "mild cigar" bourbon?

The Bourbon thread has lots of different kinds, years, etc., but I am not sure what would be the best one to start with to get into the world of Bourbon.

Thanks for the input so far!!:tu:tu

ahc4353 03-25-2009 12:58 PM

Sean, I'm a scotch guy but I do like Woodford Reserve for a bourbon. Not an expert by any means but I have found as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Enjoy the hunt.

One last thought, see if you can find some small "tester" bottles. That way you haven't invested in a whole bottle of something you might not like.

Savvy 03-25-2009 12:59 PM

Buffalo Trace and Four Roses are two good introductory bourbons. They are a little sweeter, and don't have as bad of a bite as some of the others. They are both about $25 too, so they're not going to kill your wallet.

Whee 03-25-2009 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 303344)
Sean, I'm a scotch guy but I do like Woodford Reserve for a bourbon. Not an expert by any means but I have found as with most things, you get what you pay for.

Enjoy the hunt.

One last thought, see if you can find some small "tester" bottles. That way you haven't invested in a whole bottle of something you might not like.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing.

Defnitely sounds like I have some choices to start out with.

tsolomon 03-25-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoishoosier (Post 303337)
Let me phrase it another way.

So what is the "mild cigar" bourbon?
Thanks for the input so far!!:tu:tu

For a starter bourbon, I don't think you could go wrong with either of these.
Evan Williams Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve

WildBlueSooner 03-25-2009 05:30 PM

I have had many a bourbon in my day and would recommend Woodford Reserve or 1792 for someone looking to try a good bourbon. Hope that helps.

smokeyandthebandit05 03-25-2009 06:44 PM

I personally dont have a refined pallet and since Im not of age I dont have a wide selection. But! Im not like the regular college kid who just does shots t oget drunk. Same thing goes with my beer. I love imported or micro brewed, dark, heavy, and bitter. For what its worth I like plain old Jim Beam. Ive drank my share of Jim Beam and have found Jim Beam mixes and tastes good for something cheap.

BengalMan 03-25-2009 07:12 PM

For starters I would recommend 1792, Elmer T Lee, and Woodford Reserve.