Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Time for a change... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76732)

Steve 11-08-2021 09:37 AM

Time for a change...

Do to several factors, I think it's time for a change in my life. I have been working in the same industry for 38 years and it is getting harder every day to get up, put on a smile and do the same crap with the same stress and anxiety over and over. Add the possible upcoming mandates, my time may be getting close.

My issue is where/how to start over. Having done this for so long, I really don't feel like I have any marketable skills, and I DO NOT want to just change companies. I need a new vocation. Yes, I can (and have been working on) getting back into catering, but that will take time and I'll be without insurance.

I have some money saved, but we took a big hit to my reserves when Holly was sick. I have my dad's house that I can fix up and sell, but that would only give me about a year's salary. And I would rather not hit my 401k, I need to wait another couple of years to get it without paying penalties. I also have about 10 years before I can hit social security (it it's still around).

Sorry to ramble, just wondering if anyone else has been at this point in their life and has any advice.

Wharf Rat 11-08-2021 10:08 AM

Re: Time for a change...

I’m not trying to start a partisan argument. But, look into the medical insurance offered through the ACA (Obamacare). It’s not perfect, and it varies from state to state. But, it helps. I chose the cheapest plan which has a high deductible. If you would have trouble with a sudden big bill, you might want to pay more for a lower deductible.

Remember that the amount you pay is based on your projected income for the year - not lasts year’s salary.

Steve 11-08-2021 11:19 AM

Thanks Bob

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for particular info on insurance, etc in so much as info on making life changes in general.

TIA

jledou 11-08-2021 11:27 AM

A couple things from listening to Dave Ramsey over the years, make sure the boat is at the dock before you leap, look around to see if there are other options at work to change your role, look at friends and family to see what they do and if something interests you, ask them about their job in depth and if possible shadow/volunteer for a little bit to get a taste of what that may look like on a day to day basis.

Good luck Steve!

Havanaaddict 11-08-2021 11:57 AM

Well it was a long time ago but I never regretted it!
I worked in the auto body industry starting with. I rebuilt stolen Porsche and Mercedes Benz from the ground up. Then I ran auto body shop about 10 years with no help. Writing all the estimates, ordering all the parts and paint, dealing with the ins companies, air and waste people and the employees all while with an absentee owner busting my balls everyday. Never knowing how or if I would make payroll. Not knowing if my painter was going to go on a binder and I would have to suit up and go in the paint booth. Ect, Ect, Ect. I was so close to having a breakdown everyday! Then my wife gave me the news that we were going to have a baby. She had been climbing the corporate ladder and she asked me what I thought about being a stay at home dad "this was in 96'. six months later I quit and it cost me a lot as the SOB sold the biz out from under me and I lost a lot of $$ from back pay and my percentage. But I did the right thing I am still a stay at home dad with one daughter out of the house and the other 17 now. I can't tell you it has a been a cake walk but I would do it again in a heart beat!!!
As the girls got older I did do some PT in the thing I loved PT at a cigar shop smoking cigars all day :r It also allowed me to be a full-time caregiver when my moms health started to go down. I was able to move her into my home and take care of her for the last 3 years of her life!!!

It is always a risk at one point the wife's company closed and we had no ins. and it took her a year to find another job and we spent all of our savings! But it has all worked out and I have been blessed!!!

Go for your dreams or at least find something that is not killing you slowly!!!

mosesbotbol 11-08-2021 12:06 PM

What kind of vocations or industries do you aspire to be in?

AdamJoshua 11-08-2021 12:26 PM

Invest everything you can in Powerball tickets!

But seriously I'll be working till im dead with no savings nothing because of the ex, may she die in a fire, but I can suggest ... you come down south for a cigar one of these days!

Steve 11-08-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2225158)
What kind of vocations or industries do you aspire to be in?

That's the big question. I really just don't know anymore Moses.

Chainsaw13 11-08-2021 02:12 PM

Basically in the same boat Steve. Not happy in my new job, but it’s all I know. Just trying to hang on for two more years and then retire at 55.

icehog3 11-08-2021 02:35 PM

I have no advice but all the confidence that you will find the right fit, Steve.

cmitch 11-08-2021 02:56 PM

Steve, I am 55 years old. I have been in printing and publishing since I was 15. 40 years! It's all I've known. I am in the same place as you. But I have a family to take care of. A daughter with type 1 diabetes that must be covered with insurance. If it wasn't for that, I'd walk out tomorrow with no safety net of another job. Between my wife and I we have over $200K in the bank. Most of that is accessible assets. But it would never be enough to gamble my future on. My wife and I used to have a wedding business. Did it for 22 years. We got burned out and sold everything. It was humbling seeing every dollar we made went 35% in some kind of tax. I am looking and will always be looking so long as I'm here. I wouldn't recommend you jump without a safety net. I especially wouldn't touch catering with a 10 1/2 foot pole, especially in these uncertain times.

Remo 11-08-2021 09:01 PM

Dang Steve, I am with Tom on this one also. No advice from me as I have been doing the same job for 24 years, just moved to a nicer climate to do it some more. Good luck in whatever happens.

mosesbotbol 11-09-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 2225166)
That's the big question. I really just don't know anymore Moses.

Well, what types of things would you like a new vocation to include? Do you want to travel? Work with tools or hands? Desk job, math heavy, customer facing, commission based? Do you want to be a sole proprietor or work for someone else? Write this all down and layout so you can build a plan. You need some direction or you'll waste time and cycles.

Start with the bottom of the pyramid instead of the top down to figure out where or what you'd want to do. Many vocations can be taught in school and/or apprenticeship.

When I got into computers, I said "I need a vocation" and bought a book on Windows 95 and went from there. 25 years later I am still in that vocation. Hardly my dream vocation, but it pays the bills & all that.

I should've just went to vocational school instead of regular high school, but if you don't go right to college in America you are looked at lower class or not as smart (to the ones who keep promoting college at all costs). My college degrees aren't worth more than the frames they are displayed in.

I look at all the large yachts Falmouth Harbor where I grew up. Very few were afforded because of a college degree. Most are owned by people in construction, sales, real estate, etc... Not so many academics, lol

Havanaaddict 11-09-2021 11:57 AM

I don't know if outside sales interests you! But I have a few friends that are in medical sales and make a boat load of money and get to set there own seg. for the most part. If you can work your way up to running a team, it can be done from you house with little travel!

longknocker 11-09-2021 05:15 PM

Try Not To Touch Your Retirement, Brother. You'll Never Get That Back. I Know You Well, & You'll Find Somening Better, My Friend.:tu. Praying For You!:)

Brian D. 11-09-2021 06:17 PM

Time for a cool change? :D

Steve 11-15-2021 08:58 AM

:bhd

Don Fernando 11-16-2021 12:01 AM

I don't know your exact situation, so I can't offer real advice. But a few years ago I did the scariest thing I ever did, I sold my house, moved to the other side of the world and start over. It worked out great for me, but I realize it could have also been the worst decision I ever made. Sometimes change works, other times it's only that the grass looks greener… (and while I type this, I realize that this really doesn't offer you anything)

mosesbotbol 11-18-2021 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 2225464)
..But a few years ago I did the scariest thing I ever did, I sold my house, moved to the other side of the world and start over.

To Singapore?

mosesbotbol 11-19-2021 01:57 PM

Truck driving seems to be a money maker with not too much learning or education cost. Probably get much of the tuition comp'd in this current state of the economy.