Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Whiskey God has smiled.... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47616)

Don Fernando 07-20-2011 04:32 AM

Re: The Whiskey God has smiled....

"handle with care, fragile"

http://t1.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/00/51/86/...GCeRNgUQsA.jpg

Do I really have to think about everything Francis? ;)

BigCat 07-20-2011 06:19 AM

This is an awesome thing to find in an attic. As to value, I'm no expert, but it is going to depend on how rare the whisky is. Just as an example, about a month ago a friend of mine was cleaning out his office and came to me with a bottle of Canadian whiskey with a tax stamp from the 40s that a client had given him a few years ago. He didn't drink and gave it to me. I did a preliminary check on Google of what it might be worth just to make sure he wasn't giving away $1000 + without knowing. I figured it had to be worth something. It turned out that similar bottles were on ebay for $30 bucks or so. I think I found one suggestion that it might be worth $50. Bottom line was that it was not as rare as I originally thought. So I opened it up and have enjoyed it. It tastes similar to crown royal and it is kind of cool to drink something that was bottled during WWII.

Doctorossi 07-20-2011 07:22 AM

That is an awesome find! I definitely second the suggestion of inquiring with the distillery. Someone at Glenlivet can probably give you some age/distribution/provenance details from the crate stamp, without you even having to open the box.

OLS 07-20-2011 07:27 AM

One thing for sure, there is NO liquor Distributor on 569 S. 3rd Ave in Mt. Vernon NY anymore.
Looks like it's a "Bath FItters" now. So let's say that box goes back at least 20 years.
After adjusting the pic in photoshop, it LOOKS like it says "Major Liquor Dealers"..funny name.
NO Info on google about such a company. I am afraid I would have to KEEP IT. You may be able
to trade ONE BOTTLE for a bottle of 20 year old scotch if you find a person so inclined. That'd
leave you with 11 more AND your bottle of choice. You can use the bottles as schmooze for
individual favors, drink it, make bombs out of it for the great unrest that's coming Aug 2nd.
Plus, you should be able to get a hold of the nails somehow and pop off the top at minimum
without ruining it's value. What's inside packaging-wise, who knows. Judging solely by the
packaging, it's 35+ years old.

BC-Axeman 07-20-2011 07:45 AM

I was thinking the 64/86 may be the distilling/bottling date, or at least one of the numbers may be a date code. I like the idea of sending the pics to Glenlivet. It will be interesting to find out about this.

N2 GOLD 07-20-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC-Axeman (Post 1343420)
I was thinking the 64/86 may be the distilling/bottling date, or at least one of the numbers may be a date code. I like the idea of sending the pics to Glenlivet. It will be interesting to find out about this.

:tu Agree, send the folks at Glenlivet some pic's they might be able to shine some light on the age of that pot of gold...

OLS 07-20-2011 04:10 PM

Yeah, times 3 on that. Never thought of sending pix to the source. I can hear their response now.
"Ahh, sorry laddie, we don't DO email here, certainly can't open picture files, but that case of whisky is very likely
ruined, you'd best be sendin that back to us for immediate disposal..."

jjmitchem 08-20-2011 01:04 PM

Any more news on this? I am very intriged.

Don Fernando 08-21-2011 04:30 AM

:tpd:

Hippiebrian 08-21-2011 07:46 AM

I feel like that chick in that commercial...."open! open! open!"...

hammondc 09-20-2011 08:56 PM

Bump.............................................. ............................................

BC-Axeman 09-20-2011 09:45 PM

Yeah!^^^^

spectrrr 09-20-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmitchem (Post 1381026)
Any more news on this? I am very intriged.

well, I was unable to get a hold of Glenlivet directly, however I made a contact with a contact and they were able to get the pics under the right folks noses. It would seem the bottles have been dated to anytime after 1967, which is when that distributor because the normal one used. Given that its wooden crates, I can't imagine it to be dated much past 1967, so I'm gonna guess 1967-1975 range.

I'm still investigating options for selling it as a lot item and how much that might bring.

cbsmokin 09-22-2011 11:39 AM

These guys might be able to add some input on your find:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/index.php

landhoney 09-22-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spectrrr (Post 1415554)
I'm still investigating options for selling it as a lot item and how much that might bring.

When you find out what it may be worth, please consider hosting a group buy here. :2

GreekGodX 09-22-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhoney (Post 1417164)
When you find out what it may be worth, please consider hosting a group buy here. :2

I'm with Seth, I would definitely be interested.

Doctorossi 09-22-2011 12:53 PM

Me, too!

BC-Axeman 09-22-2011 12:57 PM

+1

pektel 09-22-2011 01:02 PM

+4

spectrrr 09-22-2011 08:45 PM

noted ;)

I'll probably dig into it it further come the middle of October.