Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Got my first suprise last night (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46634)

chachee52 06-19-2011 06:20 AM

Got my first suprise last night

So I went to go light up a cigar that was gifted to me last night. Went to go take the first draw after lighting it up and noticed that I really want's getting any smoke, but it ws smoking good at the end. Purged it and skoke went out, took a long hard draw and heard a "weeeer" and noticed a whole about 1" for the bottom of the cigar. :confused:
Looked closer and noticed a little larva borrowing in. NOT GOOD!!!
I have just checked the rest of my humidor and no sign of any others. My question is:
This freezing the cigars technique, is it too late to do this to make sure they didn't travel through the humidor? It was gifted a few weeks ago so it might have had time to work it's way into others.
The other question is does leaving the cello on the cigar help deter them from getting into the cigars?

Apoco 06-19-2011 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachee52 (Post 1303218)
This freezing the cigars technique, is it too late to do this to make sure they didn't travel through the humidor?
The other question is does leaving the cello on the cigar help deter them from getting into the cigars?

No to both questions. Freezing will kill the little bastards. Freeze EVERYTHING, humi as well if you can. You want to make sure to freeze any cigar boxes along with the cigars.

Beetles can eat through cello.
Posted via Mobile Device

chachee52 06-19-2011 07:04 AM

Re: Got my first suprise last night

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoco (Post 1303229)
No to both questions. Freezing will kill the little bastards. Freeze EVERYTHING, humi as well if you can. You want to make sure to freeze any cigar boxes along with the cigars.

Beetles can eat through cello.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deffinitely can't freeze the humidor!! It's a 250 ct treasure chest.

NCRadioMan 06-19-2011 08:34 AM

You don't need to freeze your humidor. They lay eggs in/on tobacco only, not wood. Hence, tobacco beetle.

Apoco 06-19-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1303279)
You don't need to freeze your humidor. They lay eggs in/on tobacco only, not wood. Hence, tobacco beetle.

This is true.

Just make sure to inspect the humidor. It won't be infested (as in beetles living in the wood), but if an egg/larvae/beetle fell out of a cigar and into the humidor itself, then you'll be right back to where you started.

Sorry, I should have further explained my logic with my first response.

Sherlockholms 06-19-2011 09:49 AM

I read you can lightly wipe down the humi with distilled water or grain alchohol. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

thebiglebowski 06-19-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1303334)
I read you can lightly wipe down the humi with distilled water or grain alchohol. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

yes, i would definately wipe it down with some distilled water after taking cigars out and freezing them. just like when you season a new humidor.

also, freezing really won't kill the little buggers - unless you go way sub-zero temps, which most of us can't do in practical applications. but the freezing should knock them into deep hibernation and as long as you keep your humi at the right temp, etc, you'll be fine.

for the op, i'm curious - this was a non-cuban cigar that had the beetle? we usually only hear about this happening in CCs. did you have any CCs in your humidor?

T.G 06-19-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlockholms (Post 1303334)

Just vacuum it out, that'll be sufficient. Wiping with water can cause the grain to raise which can, in turn, potentially tear the wrapper leaf on uncelloed cigars, and it certainly won't do anything to affect beetles. Alcohol might be good for mold, if that were the problem, which it isn't.

Apoco 06-19-2011 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiglebowski (Post 1303346)
for the op, i'm curious - this was a non-cuban cigar that had the beetle? we usually only hear about this happening in CCs. did you have any CCs in your humidor?

I had a beetle-ridden Ashton from an Ashton rep a few weeks ago. As he said "They've been in their baggies with a humi pack....in my car."

He traded it out for one that didn't have 4 holes for me :r

chachee52 06-19-2011 11:32 AM

It was a PDR-VLR. Don't think that it was Cuban, and no, I don't have any Cubans in my collection as of yet.
I will be putting them in the freezer in the next couple minutes.
Thanks for the help!! I'll let you know if anything else comes out to say HI!!

bobarian 06-19-2011 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiglebowski (Post 1303346)
also, freezing really won't kill the little buggers - unless you go way sub-zero temps, which most of us can't do in practical applications. but the freezing should knock them into deep hibernation and as long as you keep your humi at the right temp, etc, you'll be fine.

Freezing will kill beetles, eggs and larvae. Lower temps will kill faster, but freezing for an extended period of time, 72hours or longer will kill completely. OldSailor has an extensive post about freezing archived here.

wayner123 06-20-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1303840)
Freezing will kill beetles, eggs and larvae. Lower temps will kill faster, but freezing for an extended period of time, 72hours or longer will kill completely. SilverFox has an extensive post about freezing archived here.

Fixed it for you. And if the OP would read that thread it would answer a lot of the questions he asked and give him the methods by which to solve his concerns.

Drez 06-20-2011 06:38 AM

Good to hear you caught it in time!!!

thebiglebowski 06-20-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1303840)
Freezing will kill beetles, eggs and larvae. Lower temps will kill faster, but freezing for an extended period of time, 72hours or longer will kill completely. OldSailor has an extensive post about freezing archived here.

yeah, much later after i posted i realized i mispoke about killing the live beetles. but, i don't believe that a typical freezer will kill the larvae, will it? from what i've understood, it just helps ensure dormancy (is that a word)?

N2 GOLD 06-20-2011 11:57 AM

Is it just me or is the beetle topic popping up more & more??? I keep all my humi's around 65% rh same for the temp.

So my question is:

What is the ideal conditions for these bastards???

I kind of remember hearing 70-plus, not sure???

wayner123 06-20-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebiglebowski (Post 1304479)
yeah, much later after i posted i realized i mispoke about killing the live beetles. but, i don't believe that a typical freezer will kill the larvae, will it? from what i've understood, it just helps ensure dormancy (is that a word)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2 GOLD (Post 1304499)
Is it just me or is the beetle topic popping up more & more??? I keep all my humi's around 65% rh same for the temp.

So my question is:

What is the ideal conditions for these bastards???

I kind of remember hearing 70-plus, not sure???

All of these and more questions have been covered here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919

Quick answers are:

Freezing will kill all stages of the beetle.

Humidity doesn't have much of anything to do with beetle life cycle. Temperature is the key.

bobarian 06-20-2011 12:37 PM

Thanks Wayne, I knew it was one of those old Canucks. :tu

chachee52 06-20-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayner123 (Post 1304528)
All of these and more questions have been covered here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919

Quick answers are:

Freezing will kill all stages of the beetle.

Humidity doesn't have much of anything to do with beetle life cycle. Temperature is the key.

I did start reading this thread/article. I have starte dthe freezing process. i do keep my humidor at about 65-70 degrees and at 65-68% RH. I just think that it was that one stick that was gifted to me. I will be seeing the person tomorrow and worn him about it so that he can look at his humidor and him to start the process too.
Thanks guys!!

Duke9192 06-20-2011 09:04 PM

Count yourself lucky that the rest of your stash wasn't ruined. Freeze & good luck!

backwoods357 06-21-2011 09:19 PM

I was giving my cooler and humidor a once over and noticed a couple of tiny holes on a couple of sticks. When I say tiny I mean it, they look like pin pricks. I'm guessing they must have just hatched out. I'm half tempted to smoke the little bastards. I'm sure burnt bug sh*t is great for my health.