Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Project of the Day : Cherry Victorian Mirror For Weeze (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68198)

shilala 11-10-2014 05:48 AM

Project of the Day : Cherry Victorian Mirror For Weeze

So, I've been kicking this idea about for around a year and a half now.
It's been one of those things that swims in my silly head until I can't stand it anymore. There's hundreds in there, if not thousands, but some just keep tormenting me until I gotta get it done.

This thing is made of 2" thick gummy cherry. The lumber is 100% clear, meaning there are no knots or voids or checks or any goofy stuff like that.
Just to dig out lumber of that quality at a sawmill is a job in itself. It takes a few hours. Then I have to pay a lot extra because it's always far wider than I need for my project.
In this instance, I paid almost 200 bucks for 10 feet of 2" thick rough cut lumber 8" wide. 4 hours in the car and 3 hours at the mill, too.
I considered it a huge win because it was exactly what I need to make this fly.

To this point, the frame has over 80 hours in it, and it probably has 40 left to go. I just mention this to give you guys an idea of what it takes to turn something like this out. It was kind of shocking to me.
The machine time would cost about $4,000-$6,000 if I didn't own the machines. The shop time would be around $1780, including consumables.
I think that's probably why it's a lot better to find a $300 plastic one at Marshalls. :lr

Anyhow, this mirror will go in the downstairs bathroom. I also have to make a cherry vanity and inlaid book table. The table I'm excited about. The vanity, not so much. It'll get a granite top and undermounted bowl.
Someday. I still have a number of things I have to get done before I can start those things, so long as I don't die too quick.

Here's a few pics of where's she's at. It's got a long ways to go before it's hanging.

My sweet baby loves it, by the way. :)

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...09BBD58DC1.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...0827F6911E.jpg

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...F7C353EA51.jpg

BlkDrew 11-10-2014 06:02 AM

Re: Project of the Day : Cherry Victorian Mirror For Weeze

Very nice.

HollywoodQue 11-10-2014 06:08 AM

Wow Scott, you are truly gifted man....that's a beautiful piece. The detail is amazing. You put a lot of time, money, and skill into this piece of art....if everyone could do it, then it may not mean as much.....did I say "Wow".

CigarNut 11-10-2014 06:36 AM

Very cool!

Subvet642 11-10-2014 06:38 AM

Wow Scott, that is astonishing! Ya know...people pay silly, wacky money for quality, period, design pieces to go in their restored Victorians. Just a thought. If I spend a bunch of money to fix-up my (hypothetical) brownstone on Comm. Ave., I am not going to Marshal's for a plastic fake. Gorgeous work, Scott!

dijit 11-10-2014 07:53 AM

Holy Crap That is incredible! Very curious to see the finished product

MarkinAZ 11-10-2014 08:00 AM

Simply, beautiful looking Scott:tu Looking forward to seeing the completed project...

14holestogie 11-10-2014 08:08 AM

So, how many hours of sanding will go into that one, Scott? :)

It's a beauty, though. :tu

AdamJoshua 11-10-2014 08:11 AM

I don't get it, where do the pegs go? :D

All kidding aside that's a beauty, look forward to seeing the finished product.

shilala 11-10-2014 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 1997834)
So, how many hours of sanding will go into that one, Scott? :)

I shudder to think about it, Tim. :lr
It really isn't too bad. The work is going to be mostly with tiny files and the dremel. And I just got myself a full faceshield/respirator, so it's not half as miserable as it used to be.
The funny part is that I've been thinking, ever since I cut it out, "how the hell am I going to hold this giant thing to sand it?"
I still have nothing. Probably carpet tape and hook it to my lazy susan spinny thing I use for paint and poly.
I'd rather you just came over and did it. I just got you some new files and a rasp. You'll have great fun. :D

Dave128 11-10-2014 08:52 AM

Very nice looking piece, Scott! Great work!

14holestogie 11-10-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1997843)
It really isn't too bad. The work is going to be mostly with tiny files and the dremel. And I just got myself a full faceshield/respirator, so it's not half as miserable as it used to be.
The funny part is that I've been thinking, ever since I cut it out, "how the hell am I going to hold this giant thing to sand it?"
I still have nothing. Probably carpet tape and hook it to my lazy susan spinny thing I use for paint and poly.
I'd rather you just came over and did it. I just got you some new files and a rasp. You'll have great fun. :D

I have recurring Ebola....:r

cigarmarine 11-10-2014 10:32 AM

Great job brother! Keep us posted.

jjirons69 11-10-2014 11:38 AM

How many fingers do you have?

shilala 11-10-2014 12:39 PM

I have all 10, Jamie. Only 3 of them are sawed up a bit. :tu

pektel 11-10-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1997843)

I like the priorities, Scott. Mucho dinero for the CNC machine, then finish the work on your "lazy susan spinny thing."

All joking aside, it looks amazing. :tu

themoneycollector 11-10-2014 02:19 PM

That's a work of art Scott.

I will have to promptly go home and have to chuck out all of my marshall's stuff though.

EDIT: as a side note, when we bought what we thought was nice furniture, it had all the engraved edges like that, but it turned out it was all wax or plastic that was painted over to look like engraved wood - so much for our expensive set of Ashley's Millennium furniture pieces.

icehog3 11-10-2014 03:12 PM

Dang!!! :tu

RevSmoke 11-10-2014 06:38 PM

Very nice, Scott. I am sure your "heart" will love it!

Peae of the Lord be with you.

longknocker 11-11-2014 04:52 AM

Awesome, Brother!:D:tu