Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I'd like to try something really different. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4518)

shilala 11-19-2008 10:37 PM

I'd like to try something really different.

What's the one coffee you guys would suggest?
I've tried all kinds of coffee over lots of years. I do enjoy Kona quite a bit, and I enjoy Wallenford Estate. None have ever "stuck" even though I've enjoyed a lot of different types.
Right now I'm working my way through a few pounds of Ho'O Mano Hawaiian med/dark whole bean. It's from Kona Sharks Coffee in Hilo. They sell it at the Farmer's Market there. Demiurgic (Adil) works there and he and I trade a lot.
Sharkie's Killer Kona is exceptionally good. The Ho'o Mano is a lot heavier, more earthy, and stronger than his Kona. The best way to describe it is that the Killer Kona is Bruce Banner and the Ho'o is when he gets pissed off.:)

My daily coffee is Maxwell House Lite. I can't even say I like it, it's just what I drink. It's just habit and it's what I've grown up on and gotten used to.

If someone would like to suggest something I might like, that'd be great. If you'd like to work out a trade and you'd like to try the Ho'o, that'd be totally awesome.

SmokeyJoe 11-19-2008 11:11 PM

Re: I'd like to try something really different.

"I'd like to try something really different..."

With the title, I thought you were heading somewhere else... like how you were out drinking with friends in Chicago, felt woozy, and woke up missing a kidney and wearing a crotchless Bullwinkle costume in the foyer of a brothel in Bangkok - facedown in a puddle of your own sick...

I mean, who HASN'T had one of those days? :D

Oh... and as for the coffee? I am waiting to see what Mr. Moo has to say. He is the go-to guy for all things coffee. :tu

Scottw 11-19-2008 11:16 PM

I buy Dunkin Donuts coffee and grind it myself because I'm used to it. Not coffee buff but I must admit, when I see my friend Peter, he makes a turkish coffee that I can hail paraise to. Don't know the name but it is a**kicking.

Resipsa 11-20-2008 03:49 AM

Lots of coffees out there for you to try, it all depends on what you like in coffee..........there are coffees that have a winey taste to them, a berry taste, coffees that taste like blueberrys, like lemons, light and bright coffees, heavy and earthy coffees, coffees that have a nutty flavor, and on and on....

These aren't flavored coffees, the taste of the coffee bean varies with the origin of the bean, like cigars or wine. If you're used to drink the Kona coffees or Maxwell House, these other coffees will taste very very different to you.

replicant_argent 11-20-2008 05:58 AM

One of the first coffees that really tweaked my Java-meter as a (much) younger lad, when I was spreading my culinary and gustatory wings was a Tanzanian Peaberry, it had been locally roasted, and very well done. My coffee intake tripled or quadrupled after that day, a few decades ago. The brilliance and fruitiness and overall intensity of it kicked me square in the tastebuds and life for me was never the same after.

Mumbles to self... wanders off to check the dwindling supply of green in the cupboard.... "that's what I need to do.... reload on several beans at the Green coop site....."

rhdad42 11-20-2008 06:14 AM

I've always been a big fan of the Indonesian coffees. I like the smokiness (is that a word?). I drink Sumatran Mandheling most days, but when I can find the Celebes Toraja I get that.

opus 11-20-2008 06:20 AM

Try roasting your own. You will be amazed at the increased quality of your cup o' Joe and the sky is the limit as far as something different. I promise you will never go back to buying pre-roast.

trogdor 11-20-2008 09:00 PM

Get some whole bean coffee within a few days of it being roasted, and brew it in a French press or with a pour-over type drip brewer. Fresh coffee + proper water temperature = something very different from Maxwell House Lite. Since getting into coffee I've found that different batches of coffee will taste wildly different; the exact same beans can even taste very different depending on how they are roasted.

My intro to fresh coffee was through Killer Beans. I also found a local chain that fresh roasts twice a week and bought from them, too. I've been roasting my own for a while now, and love it.

Have fun trying new stuff!

MithShrike 11-20-2008 09:37 PM

I'll roast something up for you this weekend Scooter. Haven't roasted in a while so it should be fun.

Something really different is the Indian Anohki from Sweet Maria's. Blueberries and dung are the two dominating flavors but I really liked it. $17 a pound green though is a little high.

shilala 11-21-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MithShrike (Post 79656)
I'll roast something up for you this weekend Scooter. Haven't roasted in a while so it should be fun.

Something really different is the Indian Anohki from Sweet Maria's. Blueberries and dung are the two dominating flavors but I really liked it. $17 a pound green though is a little high.

Blueberry Turd coffee sounds very appealing. :r
You ain't right, brother.

MithShrike 11-21-2008 07:37 AM

Yeh I'm aware there's something wrong with me and I'm OK with it.

tsolomon 11-21-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 77845)
One of the first coffees that really tweaked my Java-meter as a (much) younger lad, when I was spreading my culinary and gustatory wings was a Tanzanian Peaberry, it had been locally roasted, and very well done. My coffee intake tripled or quadrupled after that day, a few decades ago. The brilliance and fruitiness and overall intensity of it kicked me square in the tastebuds and life for me was never the same after.

:tpd:Had a 2 cups of Tanzanian Peaberry this morning from a local roaster, it's good stuff!

shilala 11-21-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MithShrike (Post 79998)
Yeh I'm aware there's something wrong with me and I'm OK with it.

I'm okay with it, too. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

novasurf 11-21-2008 02:32 PM

Don't know where you are in PA.
You should try coffees offered by:

Counter Culture
Intelligensia
Orens Daily Roast

All of these folks roast their own.
We roast on demand.

floydpink 11-21-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novasurf (Post 80819)
Don't know where you are in PA.
You should try coffees offered by:

Counter Culture
IntelligensiaOrens Daily Roast

All of these folks roast their own.
We roast on demand.

Get their Black Cat Expresso

Also, Stumptown Hairbender is great stuff.

Mister Moo 11-21-2008 04:09 PM

If you're not real tuned into brewing technique, something different might be achieved by more focus on methodology.

If your methods are already bulletproof, then I think the families of Ethiopian and Yemani coffees can be very different - profound, even, if you're not already familiar with them.

shilala 11-22-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 80946)
If you're not real tuned into brewing technique, something different might be achieved by more focus on methodology.

If your methods are already bulletproof, then I think the families of Ethiopian and Yemani coffees can be very different - profound, even, if you're not already familiar with them.

I've just got a little grinder and my big Bunn coffee maker. I'm not going to be adding a french press or any other wild stuff any time soon, although a better grinder probably wouldn't hurt.
I read about Ethiopian coffee and I agree. I thought I might like it.
I haven't heard of Yemani but I'll look into it.
Thank You, and Thanks to everyone!!! :)

Mister Moo 11-22-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 81455)
I've just got a little grinder and my big Bunn coffee maker. I'm not going to be adding a french press or any other wild stuff any time soon, although a better grinder probably wouldn't hurt.
I read about Ethiopian coffee and I agree. I thought I might like it.
I haven't heard of Yemani but I'll look into it.
Thank You, and Thanks to everyone!!! :)

Ethiopian Harrar, Yirgecheffe and Yemani Mocha, if good quality and freshly brewed, are in a class by themselves. I wouldn't expect much from anything in a bag at the grocery store though.

Avoid the move to anything with Jamaican Blue Mountaqin written on the bag if you really want something different, too.

floydpink 11-22-2008 08:37 AM

I've boycotted anything from Yemen until they get those oil tanker robbing pirates under control.:bx

Resipsa 11-22-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 81727)
I've boycotted anything from Yemen until they get those oil tanker robbing pirates under control.:bx

I do believe that's somalia, not Yemen you're thinking of:D