Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mini cabinet conversion (Project Thread) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25636)

ChasDen 12-06-2009 12:10 AM

Mini cabinet conversion (Project Thread)

Over the next month or so I will be converting a small case into a mini cabinet humidor
for one of the BOTL’s here. I will attempt to update this thread like I do the tray threads
with photos and descriptions. Please feel free to ask questions, advice or general banter.
Part one - Tear apart and prepare sides
Below is what I had to start with:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab01.jpg

As you can see from the photo the sides (only 3) are attached to the base and top
by metal brackets and screws.
It appears the sides were routed out to install glass in them at one point.
The first thing to do is tear it down and inspect the damage.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab02.jpg

There was one of the sides that came loose and the base was separating.
The sides were a tad uneven and the joints had swelled in a few places.
A little wood glue and clamps were in order.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab03.jpg

Once the repairs were finished I ran the sides through the surface planer
a few times to level everything out and re routed the inside edge of the opening.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab04.jpg

Next I built a temporary frame on the bench to hold the sides while I enlarged the
groves on the inside for the wood inlay. A second board is screwed on top of the
temporary base to act as a guide for the router.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab05.jpg

Cont….

ChasDen 12-06-2009 12:12 AM

Re: Mini cabinet conversion (Project Thread)

Here is a shot of the veneer that I will be using for the sides.
I have no clue what it is; it has a few bad spots in the run as
seen in the right half of the photo, so I got it for free.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab06.jpg

Here you can get an idea what the sides will look like once completed.
The spots that are bad will be outside the size I need for these pieces.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9.../elevcab07.jpg

Part 2 will be the construction of the inlay and the top and bottom.

Chas

AD720 12-06-2009 01:14 AM

subscribed! :)

Norcal_aaron 12-06-2009 01:29 AM

Very cool project.:tu

Savor the Stick 12-06-2009 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD720 (Post 669961)
subscribed! :)

:tpd:
Yeah me too! Andy This is the kind of stuff I would so like to do if I had any talent for it.

Bax 12-06-2009 01:52 AM

I love these threads!!!:D

Eleven 12-06-2009 12:34 PM

I honestly thought this thing would sit around another 25 years doing nothing useful. Here is the background on this piece:

This was a high school woodshop project, it was supposed to be a curio cabinet but of course it was only graded on the wood parts, so that is all I completed.

After that it has sat around being abused and neglected for over 25 years, doing nothing more than serving as a place to put things I didn't care about too much.

Sometimes it was in storage facilities, sometimes it was in unheated garages, and its even been in basements that have flooded.

I fell down the slope very recently. Fathers Day this year, my son gifted me a few nice smokes and that was all it took. So I found a decent humidor for the short term and after 1 lotto winning here, it was full. No room for 5'ers or boxes, so I started thinking of a larger humidor.

One day I looked over and saw this poor thing sitting there with DVD cases on top of it and photo albums inside of it and I realized its potential. I very briefly considered trying it myself and when that 2 minutes was over I started thinking about who could do it justice.

I posted a picture of in the 'show us your humidor' thread with my smaller one and stated my intentions to have this raggedy thing turned into a cabinet.

Chuck contacted me and it just so happened that he was coming through my area that weekend on his way to a HERF in Cincy. So him and the Mrs. stopped by and took a look, and the rest is history in the making. Poor old unfinished curio cabinet left my house and began its new life of transformation.

After all the looking and talking with others, there is no one else I would even want working on this. I know this remnant from the past will soon be an heirloom for the future and I couldn't be happier!

Thanks Chuck!

Savor the Stick 12-06-2009 02:21 PM

`

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 670285)
I honestly thought this thing would sit around another 25 years doing nothing useful. Here is the background on this piece:

This was a high school woodshop project, it was supposed to be a curio cabinet but of course it was only graded on the wood parts, so that is all I completed.

After that it has sat around being abused and neglected for over 25 years, doing nothing more than serving as a place to put things I didn't care about too much.

Sometimes it was in storage facilities, sometimes it was in unheated garages, and its even been in basements that have flooded.

I fell down the slope very recently. Fathers Day this year, my son gifted me a few nice smokes and that was all it took. So I found a decent humidor for the short term and after 1 lotto winning here, it was full. No room for 5'ers or boxes, so I started thinking of a larger humidor.

One day I looked over and saw this poor thing sitting there with DVD cases on top of it and photo albums inside of it and I realized its potential. I very briefly considered trying it myself and when that 2 minutes was over I started thinking about who could do it justice.

I posted a picture of in the 'show us your humidor' thread with my smaller one and stated my intentions to have this raggedy thing turned into a cabinet.

Chuck contacted me and it just so happened that he was coming through my area that weekend on his way to a HERF in Cincy. So him and the Mrs. stopped by and took a look, and the rest is history in the making. Poor old unfinished curio cabinet left my house and began its new life of transformation.

After all the looking and talking with others, there is no one else I would even want working on this. I know this remnant from the past will soon be an heirloom for the future and I couldn't be happier!

Thanks Chuck!

Thanks for the Background on this piece. It will make the watching of this thread more enjoyable.

WaxingMoon 12-14-2009 09:43 PM

Good to see you getting the project done, Scott!

The veneer looks like it could be Cocobolo.... very nice looking wood! I can't wait to see how she turns out for you.

Keep up the good work, Chuck!

Good stuff - sawdust & cigar smoke! Volatile combination!
:cb

Ranger_B 12-14-2009 10:58 PM

Great looking project. Subscribed and looking forward to see how it goes. Funny ed I was thinking cocobolo as well.

ChasDen 12-14-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaxingMoon (Post 680886)
Good to see you getting the project done, Scott!

The veneer looks like it could be Cocobolo.... very nice looking wood! I can't wait to see how she turns out for you.

Keep up the good work, Chuck!

Good stuff - sawdust & cigar smoke! Volatile combination!
:cb

That's what I first thought, but its different somehow.

I know there are variances in the wood but I just cant put my finger on it.

Chas

secretsquirrel 12-15-2009 06:56 PM

can t wait to see the progress

Chris. 12-22-2009 05:54 PM

in for updates! :)

Savor the Stick 12-23-2009 12:57 AM

:tu:tpd::tpd:

looking for know 12-23-2009 09:34 AM

My first subscription.

ChasDen 12-23-2009 02:07 PM

I got the inlays glued, sanded and sealed and some other things started this week.
Just need to edit the photos. Planing on taking a few days off to spend with the family
so I will try to get them posted this weekend.

Happy holidays,
Chas

Savor the Stick 12-23-2009 03:06 PM

I hope we didn't all come off as demanding an update....just really enjoy watching you do your magic.

God Bless you and yours, and have a Great Christmas Season.

STS:ss

ChasDen 12-23-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savor the Stick (Post 692572)
I hope we didn't all come off as demanding an update....just really enjoy watching you do your magic.

God Bless you and yours, and have a Great Christmas Season.

STS:ss

Never even took it that way :tu

I do these threads in hopes that one person sees something that makes them try to build something for themselves.
Its good to see people following them :tu

I truly enjoy working in the shop and the satisfaction when a job is complete is addictive.
It makes you want to start the next project as soon as you can.

Chas

Subvet642 12-24-2009 08:52 AM

I'm subscribed to this too, and waiting to see more. :tt :dance: Merry Christmas! :dance:

Nimbus 01-03-2010 01:39 PM

Nice project Chuck. I am eagerly awaiting new photos to see how this project has progressed. :tu Happy New Year to you and your family!