Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   AF Rothschild (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72355)

RevSmoke 12-05-2016 10:36 PM

AF Rothschild

OK, I hadn't had any of these in a while, but a special came up and I pulled the trigger - for old time sake.

Love the Cameroon wrapper on these, a bit of tooth and still smooth and oily.
Love the cocoa & coffee pre-light aroma. Took to match like a champ. Chocolate, coffee seemed to predominate, with a slight complexity and spice mixed in. About 2/3 in, it developed a slight bitterness, but a 30 second purge brought back a brightness to the flavors, and a rich cocoa (not chocolate) developed.

I missed these. It reminded me of when I got these in my "new-to-smoking-cigars" days. What a wonderful blast from the past. These have really remained fairly consistent, at least from my failing memory recalls.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

BlackDog 12-06-2016 10:32 AM

Re: AF Rothschild

I like them too. Mild but tasty. And always well made. A great Saturday morning smoke.

RevSmoke 12-06-2016 04:31 PM

Hmmm, never got "mild" from them, I could see medium. I know compared to some of the stuff popular today they are definitely much milder, but mild? I'd reserve mild to Macanudo, Griffins, Davidoff's regular lines, and stuff like that.

Of course, having said that, everybody's tastes vary.

We both agree they are a good smoke.

I like the fact that they are very similar it what I remember from 35+ years ago.

The AF Rothschild and the AF Chateau Fuente were a part of my rotation of smokes when I was back in college. I could get the AF Roth for $22 a box of 25, and the AF CF for $19 for a box of 20. El Rey Del Mundo Robustos were $18.50 for a box of 20, and Punch Rothschilds were $40 for box of 50. I got most of my stuff at Iwan Ries in Chicago.

sigsauer 12-06-2016 04:56 PM

AF Rothschild in maduro are awesome......very consistent imo

Ogre 12-06-2016 05:01 PM

like the rest of the AF lines, they are a solid cigar

Tio Gato 12-06-2016 06:33 PM

Todd, thanks for the stroll down memory lane. My first two boxes were AF Cuban Coronas. The next several were the Rothschilds. $22 bucks with shipping included. Those days were good, but then again I was making 6 bucks an hour so I guess maybe things haven't changed too much for the worst.:tu

MarkinAZ 12-06-2016 08:05 PM

Thanks for the review and memory re-boot Todd:D Always have enjoyed the AF Chateau Fuente Sungrown and Maduro Rothchilds. Great tasting mild-medium/medium bodied cigars...

mosesbotbol 12-07-2016 06:44 AM

One of the cigars that distinguished AF as a brand; pre Opus cigar.

BlackDog 12-14-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 2109766)
Hmmm, never got "mild" from them, I could see medium. I know compared to some of the stuff popular today they are definitely much milder, but mild? I'd reserve mild to Macanudo, Griffins, Davidoff's regular lines, and stuff like that.

I agree. I smoked an 8-5-8 yesterday and it is definitely in the medium range. My memory of these was vague. A nice cigar I should reach for more often. :tu

sigsauer 01-01-2017 05:49 PM

$22.00 a box!
I wish I had a time machine...

RevSmoke 01-01-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsauer (Post 2112560)
$22.00 a box!
I wish I had a time machine...

No doubt.

And if I had the money - and the ability to foresee the future - I would have purchased many boxes of them and saved them till now, or at least until the 90s boom before selling them.