Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thompson 7 Drawer Humidor (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58683)

mahtofire14 10-17-2012 05:26 PM

Thompson 7 Drawer Humidor

Anyone have one of these or have any experience with these? I have a guy that is asking $75 for it. Wondering if it holds humidity well and if it is an all around decent humidor.

MajorCaptSilly 10-17-2012 05:29 PM

Re: Thompson 7 Drawer Humidor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtofire14 (Post 1735024)
Anyone have one of these or have any experience with these? I have a guy that is asking $75 for it. Wondering if it holds humidity well and if it is an all around decent humidor.

I got a 5 drawer humidor on ebay. It was marked Thompson's. It's got the 5 drawers and a glass door. I've had it 6 years and it still works like a charm.

MCS

longknocker 10-17-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1735025)
I got a 5 drawer humidor on ebay. It was marked Thompson's. It's got the 5 drawers and a glass door. I've had it 6 years and it still works like a charm.

MCS

Same Here!:tu Check The Thompson's Web Site & Compare Prices Before You Buy, Though.:)

ninjavanish 10-17-2012 05:54 PM

Sounds like you're talking about the lucky 7.

I've had mine for years and it works fine.

I think it's only like $99 on Thompsons website... And I think that includes a bunch of cigars.

TJtorpedo 10-17-2012 06:04 PM

I have the 5 drawer as well. Bought it new from Thompsons about 7 years ago. Got some beads in there and it works great for me. I use it as a sort of go-between from my coolidor to keep stuff that I know I'll want to smoke in the near future.

SvilleKid 10-17-2012 08:25 PM

I have two of the Lucky 7's. One is CCs, one is NCs. They hold humidity ok. I use beads and drymist sticks, and they pretty much stay around 65%. But I do have to fill the Drymist sticks from time to time. FYI, the front is NOT glass, it's plexigalss (at least in my two. I think I would be well served to remove the plexiglass and seal it in place. However, since these are my Humis that I put my "soon-to-be-smoked cigars in, they get opened and closed on a semi-regular basis, and the need to touch-up the sticks and beads is probably due more to opening and closing a lot, verses humidity loss by the cabinet.

Don't expect to get the number of sticks advertised, unless you have a lot of PC size sticks! I easily get two layers of sticks in each drawer, but if you overload it, the humidity doesn't cover evenly. I actually use several sticks and/or small bead sticks (65%), spread between the drawers. The top drawer is half-height, and not really good for cigars. But I use it for my lighters and cutters.

If you have any specific questions, post them and I'll try to answer.

A pix of mine is here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpo...postcount=3714

Thrak 10-17-2012 09:16 PM

I have a 5 drawer as well

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...highlight=humi

Its been great for me. I too can only get 2 layers of sticks per drawer, but it holds humidity well!

gnbikes 10-17-2012 09:53 PM

I have a 7 drawer. For sure check the Thompson website directly. Normally $99 w/ free shipping, sometimes you can also get some cigars w/ it. I surely would not pay $75 for a used one.
Garry-

Brlesq 10-18-2012 06:15 AM

Last year I bought a Lucky 7 Humidor on Craigslist from a local soldier who was shipping out. Told me that he used it to store ISOMs. I asked him if he ever stored anything else in the cabinet and he said no, but I could pick up the distinct smell of cherry vanilla pipe tobacco inside. (Maybe he was embarrased to say he smoked Black & Milds, because that is what it smelled like.) I bought it anyway because he was only asking $40.

Now I like the sweet smell of that kind of tobacco, but not necessarily mixing with my good cigars. Turns out that the drawer bottoms on the Lucky 7 are NOT made of spanish cedar, but rather from some compressed cardboard covered by a thin spanish cedar veneer. (You guys running home tonight to check yours: Just turn the drawer over and the bottom will tell all.) No matter what method I tried, I could not get the odor out. So I cut out the bottom on the top drawer only and put real spanish cedar in its place. Though I planned on converting the rest of the drawers this way, I began using it for box storage and just decided that it worked just as well that way. I use KL, and this model holds 65% humidity really well for long periods of time.

So my only advice on this one is: Don't store infused cigars in it unless that is the permanent plan. And give it a good smell before you buy it.

SvilleKid 10-18-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brlesq (Post 1735219)
Last year I bought a Lucky 7 Humidor on Craigslist from a local soldier who was shipping out. Told me that he used it to store ISOMs. I asked him if he ever stored anything else in the cabinet and he said no, but I could pick up the distinct smell of cherry vanilla pipe tobacco inside. (Maybe he was embarrased to say he smoked Black & Milds, because that is what it smelled like.) I bought it anyway because he was only asking $40.

Now I like the sweet smell of that kind of tobacco, but not necessarily mixing with my good cigars. Turns out that the drawer bottoms on the Lucky 7 are NOT made of spanish cedar, but rather from some compressed cardboard covered by a thin spanish cedar veneer. (You guys running home tonight to check yours: Just turn the drawer over and the bottom will tell all.) No matter what method I tried, I could not get the odor out. So I cut out the bottom on the top drawer only and put real spanish cedar in its place. Though I planned on converting the rest of the drawers this way, I began using it for box storage and just decided that it worked just as well that way. I use KL, and this model holds 65% humidity really well for long periods of time.

So my only advice on this one is: Don't store infused cigars in it unless that is the permanent plan. And give it a good smell before you buy it.

He is correct on the drawer construction, it is compressed material with a cedar veneer. I was already aware of that, but failed to mention it in my original post, because it hasn't been a problem for me. The resting surface of the drawer IS cedar veneer, and the lining is cedar. I have one small desktop that I use for infused sticks, and it will never be used for anything else!! I think that smell would probably infect ANY humi, regardless!! On the construction not.... Remember, this is just a $99 humidor, so don't expect the solid wood and high end materials you would find in a Waxingmoon humi, or in any other solid wood custom humi. But for the (I think) $60 - on sale- that I paid for mine, I was pleasantly surprised with the performance I have received. And like NinjaVanish, I've had mine at least 7 years.