Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Scotch's that wont break the bank (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36668)

Steve 09-05-2014 01:04 PM

Re: Scotch's that wont break the bank

Y'all are making me thirsty!

JohnnyFlake 09-05-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXSmokey (Post 1984708)
as far as single malts, my liquor store only has glenlivet, glenfiddich, and highland park. prices start at $53 and up

IMHO, single malts are very, very, much overrated!

Blends are much less expensive for the most part and much more complex in flavor!

Hell, JW Black, a very reasonably priced blend is far more complex and most single malt. It is what many, many, hard core scotch drinkers favor.

Willygt 09-16-2014 03:19 PM

I got a Glenlivet 12 year based on Pnoon's recommendation, and it is very good!
It was barely $30, really good.

jhedrick83 09-16-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1984730)

Blends are much less expensive for the most part and much more complex in flavor!

Hell, JW Black, a very reasonably priced blend is far more complex and most single malt. It is what many, many, hard core scotch drinkers favor.

I love me some Johnny Black! If you live near a Total Wine and Spirits their price is unbeatable to me!

Ncpsycho 09-27-2014 09:20 AM

Deff Aberfeldy --- $35 a bottle and awesome -- also Glenmorangie really smooth and not expensive

kugie 09-27-2014 10:06 AM

Glenmorangie 10 or 18

Porch Dweller 09-27-2014 11:46 AM

Lots of mentions of JW Black. They've got a new one, Johnnie Walker Double Black, that is available for around $33 is worth it.

I'm the one guy in the room that doesn't like Macallan. I've tried a few of them and just don't care for them.

So, $20-$40 range:
JW Black & Double Black
Glenfiddich
Glenlivet 12
Singleton
Dewar's 12
Glenmorangie 10
Speyburn 10
McClelland Speyside
Auchentoshen

jhedrick83 09-27-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 1989094)
Lots of mentions of JW Black. They've got a new one, Johnnie Walker Double Black, that is available for around $33 is worth it.

What is the difference is taste/process?

JohnnyFlake 09-27-2014 12:23 PM

I have not seen the Johnnie Walker Double Black yet, however, as soon as I do I will be trying a bottle.

A best buy out there is Teacher's. A very nice smooth blend for very cheap $

Porch Dweller 09-27-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhedrick83 (Post 1989096)
What is the difference is taste/process?

To me it's got a touch of spice and some smokiness that the Black doesn't have. If you enjoy Black I recommend giving the Double Black a try.

jhedrick83 09-27-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 1989106)
To me it's got a touch of spice and some smokiness that the Black doesn't have. If you enjoy Black I recommend giving the Double Black a try.

Thanks. :tu

hammondc 09-28-2014 12:39 PM

Monkey Shoulder

JohnnyFlake 09-28-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1989288)
Monkey Shoulder

Never Heard of it!

Where is it made?

WaRevo 09-28-2014 09:46 PM

Love to make Brass Monkey with Monkey Shoulder. Not bad And Apes and Apples :)

James

kansashat 02-08-2015 09:20 PM

Lately, I've become very fond of Irish single malts. Try Tyrconnell single malt Irish at about $35/750ml. Bushmill's 10yr single malt is also very nice at a few dollars more a bottle.

nutcracker 02-09-2015 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1989294)
Never Heard of it!

Where is it made?

It's a Scotch blend. Rather good actually.

BTW - The name of the whiskey refers to a strain injury distillery workers would get from shovelling barley. Eventually their shoulders would hang because they had torn all their cuff muscles.

Taki 02-09-2015 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 997742)
Balvenie Doublewood.

couldn't agree more! :tu

nutcracker 02-09-2015 06:23 AM

“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others." William Faulkner.

(Probably not entirely true.....)

billybarue 02-14-2015 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake (Post 1984730)

I agree with that sentiment. I happen to like singles and blends, but Chivas 12 was my dad's scotch and what I cut my teeth on, and will always have a soft spot in my heart and place in my bar. I actually have the 4.5 litre bottle (in a cradle) on my bar - in homage to my pop.

Chivas 18 is a nice treat, JW black of course, and monkey shoulder is a welcome addition to the blends. As I understand, the scots, themselves, mostly consume blended whiskey?

wdwkelly 02-18-2015 03:22 PM

Single malts......Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Springbank 10, Bunnahabhain 12, is a great starting place.
Now...I am just not into blended scotch..HOWEVER, Campbeltown Loch is by far the best blend you can get. Its dirt cheap at 33.00 a bottle. Beats the pants off of 200.00 Johnny Walker blue.
All those i mentioned is under 60.00 For less than that....its tough to get a single malt that is worth it.
I love Scotch! It is so much "complex and just "better" for a lack of a proper term than American Whisky.

P.S. Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig Quarter Cask is both around 60-70. The Uigeadail is possibly the best scotch you can get for the money!! Personally, Uigeadail and Springbank 10 is mighty hard to beat. Uigeadail...is pronounced.....oog-eeeh-dahl