Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is a Xikar really worth it? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27086)

Pauly Walnuts 01-09-2010 02:36 PM

Is a Xikar really worth it?

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade my cutter because I'm always pinching my hands with the one I have.... clumsy. Looking around on ebay I see that these cutters go for around $50 bucks, thats pretty steep for me but I see alot of you have them. Do you think they're worth it? Or could I just as well use a similar model like the Lotus Spectre for a cheaper price tag? thanks for the input
Walnuts

The Poet 01-09-2010 02:40 PM

Re: Is a Xikar really worth it?

Though I've used an Xikar every day for a coupla years, and have been pleased as punch, fitty bucks sounds a little steep. F'instance, I got mine in a deal back then, with 3 red-dot Cohibas and "free" cutter for $40. If you look at deals with some of the big retailers online, you may find something similar.

BFallehy 01-09-2010 02:41 PM

I actualy have one of the cheaper Xikar's, I realy like it. It is pretty much all that I use.
I got mine on cbid on a special deal that came with a couple of sticks. Alot of other people realy like the palio's (not sure of the spelling sorry if it is wrong) and from what I have seen those are great aswell.
But you can get a good xikar for about 35 bucks, it all comes down to what you like realy. :tu

bobarian 01-09-2010 02:42 PM

Palio

The last cutter you will ever buy. :2

cricky101 01-09-2010 02:45 PM

I have a Xikar and it's hard to beat the cool factor of the cutting action, but end up using my Palio more often because of its consistently clean cuts.

markem 01-09-2010 02:57 PM

I used a Xikar for 2 years before switching to a Palio last year. I'd have to say that the new style Palio (they came out last summer) suit me better and in my opinion give a better cut.

I've bought my Xikar and Palio cutters from Heartfelt, which is also where I get my beads for humidification. http://heartfeltindustries.com/categ...rs+and+Punches

My everyday is a new style burl Palio that was a gift from Marc, one of the owners of Palio, but I also have 2 new style carbon fiber ones and an original in flat black.

My preference is Palio, but I have nothing bad to say about Xikar.

SmokinApe 01-09-2010 03:11 PM

Get a Palio...

aich75013 01-09-2010 03:17 PM

I have a Xikar and a Palio. I prefer the Palio. It's easier for me to use. The Xikar takes a little more practice.
I've heard of a few people getting pinched with the Xikar and I did too the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tripp 01-09-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricky101 (Post 714046)
I have a Xikar and it's hard to beat the cool factor of the cutting action, but end up using my Palio more often because of its consistently clean cuts.

:tpd:

Exactly what I was going to say.

junkinduck 01-09-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricky101 (Post 714046)

Thanks for that post. I have been back and forth between these two. I love the cool factor of the xikar but after testing both at the B&M the Palio kind of kicks butt on the xikar. I like to hear from people with both. Most of what I hear matches your opinion.

NCRadioMan 01-09-2010 03:24 PM

I like them both but I always go back to my trusty $2 Havana cutter. I think it cuts better than either one. :r

alley00p 01-09-2010 04:01 PM

I actually carry both a Palio carbon fiber and a Xikar X2. I tend to use the Xikar more often, but I've found that the Palio will cut a larger RG than the Xikar. Since I tend to smoke smaller RG sticks, I carry the Xikar in my shirt pocket.

I like them both, and use them both some nights. Either way, they are both quality cutters.

I also have gravitated towards Xikar, especially for lighters. I really like their "No questions asked" lifetime guarantee, for everything they sell! :tu
I have a cigar box full of old torch lighters that no longer work. :c

Another thought is the Xikar cigar tool / scissors. Greg Dunn (Dunng) had put together a group buy for these a while back, and a lot of inmates really like this item!

Have fun deciding! :D

:dance:

G G 01-09-2010 04:03 PM

I'm not qualified to say, cause I always use cheap cutters.:tu

cricky101 01-09-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 714075)
I like them both but I always go back to my trusty $2 Havana cutter. I think it cuts better than either one. :r

I've got a couple of those and they are ridiculously sharp! SOOO much better than the typical plastic guillotine cutters for about the same price.

NCRadioMan 01-09-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cricky101 (Post 714107)
I've got a couple of those and they are ridiculously sharp! SOOO much better than the typical plastic guillotine cutters for about the same price.

And they stay that way. The one I use most often is 3 years old ans till cuts like a champ.

icehog3 01-09-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 714041)
Palio

The last cutter you will ever buy. :2

:tpd::tu:banger

marge796 01-09-2010 04:10 PM

I have a couple of Xikars and love them. Not to mention their customer service is top notch! One of my cutters didn't make it through a long weekend and ended up in very bad shape. I called Xikar they said send it to them. They sent me a brand new one no questions asked. They will also sharpen them free of charge. So I'm pro Xikar!

Chris.....

G G 01-09-2010 04:10 PM

If anybody has an extra palio they would like to trade for some smokes let me know.

Kreth 01-09-2010 04:21 PM

I think Palio-Xikar is like Coke-Pepsi, mainly a personal preference. Both companies make excellent cutters and back them with lifetime warranties to boot.
Posted via Mobile Device

dunng 01-09-2010 04:25 PM

I have both, but always go for my Palio! :tu