Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Vinotemp modifications (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45722)

76GTFan 05-18-2011 03:14 PM

Vinotemp modifications

OK I will keep it short and to the point.

I have a Vinotemp that has been converted fairly recently, thanks to Forrest a.k.a Golfnut. I recently fixed my computer and the guy at the shop gave me a handful of PC fans. I want to integrate these into my humidor.

My question is can anyone provide a link of how to install? I seem to remember a BOTL giving a step by step turorial. I need specifics as it pertains to what power supply unit to use, as well as how to use a timing device as well. I don't want to plug in the vinotemp all the time, so having the fans on a separate power source would be ideal.

Any input or links provided would be greatly appreciated.:D

Drez 05-18-2011 03:29 PM

Re: Vinotemp modifications

what i thought about doing in mine was checking the voltage on the light inside. my vino is not thermo so i dont plug it in but if the light fixture that is inside gives off the required voltage to run a small fan or 2 i was gonna hard wire the fans to that and leave the temp setting on 0ff. then i can plug the vino in and use a cheap walmart timer to give power to the vino for 15 mintues every 3 or 4 hours.

that is just one option that you could look into.

76GTFan 05-18-2011 03:47 PM

How can you turn your temp setting off without unplugging the unit? Don't know if I have that option. I have the 12bottle unit. If I can do that then great, but I don't see that I can leave the light on without unplugging. Do you mean only turn the vino and fans on every 3 or 4 hours?

Drez 05-18-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76GTFan (Post 1267080)
How can you turn your temp setting off without unplugging the unit? Don't know if I have that option. I have the 12bottle unit. If I can do that then great, but I don't see that I can leave the light on without unplugging. Do you mean only turn the vino and fans on every 3 or 4 hours?

honestly i dont have a vino i have a avanti that is not thermo electric. mine has a knob where you set the temp and one of the settings is off. the light on my vino has a little switch so you can turn it on or off.

if yours doesnt have a "off" option or a switch for your light then im sorry i couldnt be much help. i was just trying to think out side the box before you had to go getting power supplies and running a bunch of wire.

TXRebel 05-18-2011 04:15 PM

You need to match the fans voltage with the “output” voltage of an AC Adapter. The AC Adapter also needs an amperage rating equal to or higher than the fan. Most computer case fans have a sticker that shows the voltage and amperage.

If I remember right, Shilala did a step by step, with pics, on the old site. Try sending him a pm.

76GTFan 05-18-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drez (Post 1267093)
honestly i dont have a vino i have a avanti that is not thermo electric. mine has a knob where you set the temp and one of the settings is off. the light on my vino has a little switch so you can turn it on or off.

if yours doesnt have a "off" option or a switch for your light then im sorry i couldnt be much help. i was just trying to think out side the box before you had to go getting power supplies and running a bunch of wire.

My light has an electric on/off button on the front. I can't turn off the thermo without unplugging the unit. Thanks for your feedback.

bobarian 05-18-2011 04:51 PM

What makes you feel you need increased air circulation in such a small wine cooler? I have two 28 bottles Vinotemps and have not used any fans in the past two years. I did use Oust fans when I first set them up, but the way they ate batteries I just took them out. I have not noticed any difference in the way my cigars smoke. Remember its not the Rh of the air that matters, only the Rh inside the boxes or trays. :2

76GTFan 05-19-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1267144)
What makes you feel you need increased air circulation in such a small wine cooler? I have two 28 bottles Vinotemps and have not used any fans in the past two years. I did use Oust fans when I first set them up, but the way they ate batteries I just took them out. I have not noticed any difference in the way my cigars smoke. Remember its not the Rh of the air that matters, only the Rh inside the boxes or trays. :2

Why? OCD? I don't know.:r
You may have a point. JUst looked like a good idea. And inexpensive.

kydsid 05-19-2011 08:12 AM

I'm with Bob on this one. Too small to worry about it. If you are really OCD you can look up a thread I did here on my mods. But I will say that over time my computer fans have died one way or the other and I am down to one and don't think it does much to my larger 28 bottle vino.

OLS 05-19-2011 10:44 AM

I have an unplugged cigar cabinet, too. I call mine an ice chest.

Really, you have a wine cooler and you don't want it plugged IN? :sh

bobarian 05-19-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1267865)
I have an unplugged cigar cabinet, too. I call mine an ice chest.

Really, you have a wine cooler and you don't want it plugged IN? :sh

I have two Vino's unplugged. Last summer was very cool in Cali and I left them unplugged. I found no difference in the way my cigars smoked so I will probably leave them unplugged this year unless it gets crazy hot but usually in Napa it only gets above 100 for a few days in a row. :2

Skywalker 05-19-2011 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1267144)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1267883)
I have two Vino's unplugged. Last summer was very cool in Cali and I left them unplugged. I found no difference in the way my cigars smoked so I will probably leave them unplugged this year unless it gets crazy hot but usually in Napa it only gets above 100 for a few days in a row. :2

Listen to Bob! He's wise!

I have done the same with mine, and while I don't have the investment Bob does, my cigars is smokin' fine!!!