Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Any triathletes here? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18050)

Wanger 07-07-2009 07:18 AM

Any triathletes here?

I'll be running my first triathlon this weekend, the Lifetime Fittness Tri here in the Twin Cities. I'm doing the sprint version. Did a trial run last Friday with my brother and that calmed some of my concerns.

Anyone have any advice who has done one?

Mugen910 07-07-2009 07:20 AM

Re: Any triathletes here?

best of luck to ya...I would love to do one someday.

Scottw 07-07-2009 07:21 AM

Open, Chug and Crush are the only triathletics I have accomplished in the recent past. I wish you all the best!

dunng 07-07-2009 07:25 AM

Smoke, drink, eat... Good luck to you though! :tu

taltos 07-07-2009 07:36 AM

I have started with the belch, scratch and fart events. Best of luck.:tu

tobii3 07-07-2009 07:45 AM

Last one I entered was the Wildflower Triathlon.....back in 1989...:D

ahc4353 07-07-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 454003)
Last one I entered was the Wildflower Triathlon.....back in 1889...:D

Fixed it for ya :tu

Mugen910 07-07-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanger (Post 453970)
I'll be running my first triathlon this weekend, the Lifetime Fittness Tri here in the Twin Cities. I'm doing the sprint version. Did a trial run last Friday with my brother and that calmed some of my concerns.

Anyone have any advice who has done one?

keeping this on topic. I would say just trust your training and try to keep your composure when you hit the water. It'll look crazy but just find your place behind another swimmer and glide in their slip stream. I suppose since this will be your first, just worry about finishing :tu

St. Lou Stu 07-07-2009 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 454013)
keeping this on topic. I would say just trust your training and try to keep your composure when you hit the water. It'll look crazy but just find your place behind another swimmer and glide in their slip stream. I suppose since this will be your first, just worry about finishing :tu

More comforting words have never been spoken Bao.

SeanGAR 07-07-2009 08:19 AM

Triathelete ... eating, smoking and drinking?

Noodles 07-07-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 454013)

Best advice so far.

He will finish, it's a sprint triathlon not an Ironman.

hotreds 07-07-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 454038)
Triathelete ... eating, smoking and drinking?

That's what I thought, too! Great minds think alike, I guess!

WyGuy 07-07-2009 06:05 PM

I'll actually be helping out up there Thursday and Friday, though I won't be competing.

Anyways good luck!

Wanger 07-07-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyGuy (Post 454842)
I'll actually be helping out up there Thursday and Friday, though I won't be competing.

Anyways good luck!

Cool. Get my info packet with my exact start time on Friday.

Good advice to trust my training. I've been working towards this since January, and feel I'm right where I need to be physically. The key will be getting through the swim. Since it won't be a mass start, it'll be a bit less chaotic. I'm getting pretty stoked about it since the trial run my bro and I did last Friday.

And for the record, I won't be wearing the mankini. :p

Opusfxd 07-07-2009 10:20 PM

Good luck! I was supposed to do one next weekend but work the last few months has hosed my training so instead of doing two or three this year I'll end up with one in September.

It's been said, trust your training. Do the race at the pace you know you can and don't go out too fast and end up walking the run. Get there early and lay out your stuff so you don't have to think in T1 and T2. Make sure your helmet is fastened on your head before you touch your bike. Make sure you don't get busted drafting.

Most importantly that makes a pleasant race for me - thank the volunteers pointing the way as well as the cop stopping traffic for you as you blow past them at warp speed. I think they appreciate it. Remember to smile and offer support to your fellow racers. Oh yeah, have fun!

Good luck! You'll be more than fine.

Mugen910 07-08-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonggoy (Post 454051)
Best advice so far.

He will finish, it's a sprint triathlon not an Ironman.

good point...just start the swim slow then..and try not to get caught up in the energy of the competition...you'll burn out to fast..but I'm sure you'll do fine..pics will be required please.

Wanger 07-08-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 455492)
good point...just start the swim slow then..and try not to get caught up in the energy of the competition...you'll burn out to fast..but I'm sure you'll do fine..pics will be required please.

I know that Erin will be there with the camera. Hopefully my dad will get a few as well, from a different vantage point, and then one of the other supervisors here at work lives on the bike route, so I know there will be some to post. :D

I'm getting so stoked for this as it gets closer. :D

JE3146 07-08-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanger (Post 455002)
Cool. Get my info packet with my exact start time on Friday.

Good advice to trust my training. I've been working towards this since January, and feel I'm right where I need to be physically. The key will be getting through the swim. Since it won't be a mass start, it'll be a bit less chaotic. I'm getting pretty stoked about it since the trial run my bro and I did last Friday.

And for the record, I won't be wearing the mankini. :p

BOOOOOOO!!!! :r

gorob23 07-08-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 454003)
Last one I entered was the Wildflower Triathlon.....back in 1989...:D

:tpd:That was my first real Tri but not my last! Great course, what a butt kicker.
If you can do the training you can do the event:tu

Rob

Wanger 07-10-2009 03:03 PM

Got all signed in today and I'd ready to go. :) My start time will be in the vicinity of 8:50 AM CST tomorrow, and I anticipate on finishing in 1:45 or less. :)