Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

jledou 07-16-2013 05:59 AM

Re: What are you reading?

Neverwinter by R.A. Salvatore

pnoon 07-16-2013 06:39 AM

Without Fail by Lee Child

Apoco 07-16-2013 03:00 PM

Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi. It is the 4th in the Old Man's War series.

I've made it through 2 and 3 in the last week or so - the joy of audiobooks :banger
Posted via Mobile Device

rebelknight 07-20-2013 08:47 PM

Calico Joe by John Grisham

Simple1 07-20-2013 11:30 PM

Duck Commander Happy, Happy,Happy compliments of CamoFlogged.

rebelknight 07-25-2013 06:06 PM

America by heart - Sarah Palin

I've never been a huge fan of hers but I figured if I'm going to have an opinion it might as well be an educated one

shilala 07-25-2013 06:18 PM

I just finished up a series of books by BV Larson called Star Force Series.
Then I read a couple real quick ones by Joshua Dalzelle, Omega Risng and Omega Force.
Now I went back to the Crimson Worlds series by Jay Allan. I'm on book 3, A Little Rebellion.
I'm on my 11th book in 2 weeks despite the fact that I decided to quit reading fiction for awhile. That was about 3 weeks ago. :D
I'd think that when my reading habit cost more than my cigar habit I'd ease up. I should have known better. :lr

To my credit, I have found that there are TONS of really good $.99 titles on Amazon.
If anyone uses Kindle and wants to swap some sci-fi books, drop me a pm.

Patrick B 07-25-2013 06:46 PM

Dan Brown's latest. Snore fest.

Heavy_d 07-26-2013 06:37 AM

I recently aquired the entire Zorro series by Johnston McCullley, all 62 novels and short stories, so I'm going to attempt to read them all in order.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 1861620)
Neverwinter by R.A. Salvatore

Jay, what'd you think of it? His last couple books have been taking the series in an interesting direction.

jledou 07-29-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy_d (Post 1865822)

Jay, what'd you think of it? His last couple books have been taking the series in an interesting direction.

I have read the entire series and these last two books have been hard because of the move to new characters. I still liked the first two and I am working on the third right now. Overall I would say this one was enjoyable but doesn't standout as one of my favorites from Salvatore.

I feel like the reformation of the main characters will be complete over the next two books and then the series should take off again.

yourchoice 07-29-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick B (Post 1865707)
Dan Brown's latest. Snore fest.

Hmm...I disagree. I'm about half-way through and think it's a pretty good read.

pnoon 07-29-2013 07:16 AM

Predator by Patricia Cornwell

organgrinder 07-29-2013 08:30 AM

Snuff By Terry Pratchett

Porch Dweller 07-29-2013 08:39 AM

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's hilarious.

MedicCook 07-29-2013 09:01 AM

Going old school with Rage by Richard Bachman aka Stephen King.
Posted via Mobile Device

tsolomon 07-29-2013 09:25 AM

Just finished The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) by Patrick Rithfuss and started book 2, The Wise Man's Fear.

Heavy_d 07-29-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 1866815)
I have read the entire series and these last two books have been hard because of the move to new characters. I still liked the first two and I am working on the third right now. Overall I would say this one was enjoyable but doesn't standout as one of my favorites from Salvatore.

I feel like the reformation of the main characters will be complete over the next two books and then the series should take off again.

I agree, the move to the new characters was hard on me too. However, if what I've read is true, his newest one coming in Aug should please most of his diehard fans. Apparently the spell plague and all the changes in the Realms weren't really approved of by Ed Greenwood and other higher ups in Forgotten Realms development, so the event known as The Sundering is supposed to move the setting back to what they consider the heart of the Forgotten Realms, more like it used to be. The first book in the event is Salvatore's The Companions, which is supposed to bring back some old friends if I understand right.

shilala 08-01-2013 02:45 PM

Last night I finished The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett.
Right before that was book 5 in the Crimson Worlds series, The Line Must Hold - Jay Allan.
Now I grabbed The First Imperium. It's the 6th book of Crimson Worlds.
The Long Earth was okay, but it could have been so, so much better. I got the sample for the sequel and I don't think I'll read it. Too much coin and not enough weeyoo in that one.

Biggie for Michael...
Dust - Hugh Howey gets released on the 17th at Amazon. I'm looking forward to that one. It should be good.

CigarNut 08-01-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1868501)
Last night I finished The Long Earth - Terry Pratchett.
Right before that was book 5 in the Crimson Worlds series, The Line Must Hold - Jay Allan.
Now I grabbed The First Imperium. It's the 6th book of Crimson Worlds.
The Long Earth was okay, but it could have been so, so much better. I got the sample for the sequel and I don't think I'll read it. Too much coin and not enough weeyoo in that one.

Biggie for Michael...
Dust - Hugh Howey gets released on the 17th at Amazon. I'm looking forward to that one. It should be good.

I am looking forward to it as well!

stevefrench 08-01-2013 04:23 PM

Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires by Selwyn Raab

MedicCook 08-02-2013 11:32 PM

Sticking with the Stephen King Bachman books and reading The Long Walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

4WheelVFR 08-02-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 1869072)
Sticking with the Stephen King Bachman books and reading The Long Walk.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you read all of them? I picked one up at home I haven't read but read the intro and put it back lol.

MedicCook 08-03-2013 12:15 AM

I have read most of King's books but never got around to the original four Bachman books. I recently moved and found a.paperback with the four of them so I am reading them now. Rage is no longer in print as King removed it from circulation after the school shootings started years ago. If you like King check out his son Joe Hill. He is developing into a good writer also.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moose6026 08-06-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 1860662)
The Hot House: Life Inside Leavenworth Prison

This was a good one, I thought. I read it last summer.

I recently read The Walking Dead - The Rise of The Governor as well as The Walking Dead - The Road To Woodbury. If you are a walking dead fan I would suggest them.

Eleven 08-06-2013 09:49 PM

Sovereign by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee

MUNKY 08-17-2013 10:35 PM

The Twelve

Cigargal 08-19-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUNKY (Post 1874691)
The Twelve

Great Series...can't wait for the final book.

I'm reading Standing in another Man's Grave Ian Rankin

hotreds 08-22-2013 08:18 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Mattso3000 08-23-2013 12:17 AM

Just wrapped up Inferno by Dan Brown.

rebelknight 08-23-2013 09:18 PM

Simple genius by david Baldacci

Diary of a playet by Brad Paisley

Moose6026 09-01-2013 02:22 PM

Just started Under The Dome by Stephen King

gettysburgfreak 09-01-2013 10:56 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/098252...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Shameful plug for my book

jledou 09-03-2013 04:48 AM

Finished up Clash of Kings and Ender's Game.

Stevez 09-03-2013 04:52 PM

Just finished Lincoln - Team of Rivals. Very long book, but I loved it. I am a Lincoln fanatic and can't get enough of reading about him or watching documentaries. This one goes into a lot of detail regarding his cabinet and how/why he selected them. I have loved it, but it's taken me awhile to finish. Also loved Killing Lincoln.

The Poet 09-04-2013 12:17 PM

I finally finished the fourth volume of Proust (Cities Of The Plain, or Sodom and Gomorrah), and have started The Captive (The Prisoner).

Aside from the title confusion stemming from the translation from French to English, I contend anything so long . . . and such a sloooow read . . . merits two names, at the least! :r

DBall 09-04-2013 12:32 PM

Just recently finished the Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books - finished series) by Steven Erickson and all but one of Esselmonts companion novels (5 books so far, 6th one coming in Dec.). Now beginning the re-read while the series is still fresh in my head... on book 2...

markem 09-08-2013 12:01 PM

I decided to jump in to the Malazan Book of the Fallen series as well. I'm about half way through the first book. My strategy is to let the many characters wash over me and only track 3-4 as I move through. That can change to different characters, but right now it is hard to know who is meaningful and who is not.

PapaStoogie 09-08-2013 12:19 PM

I'm reading "Islands of the Damned" by R.V.Burgin about the Marines during the WWII in the Pacific. Dad was a Marine & wounded on Iwo. R.V.Burgin served with the Marines so this is a first hand account. Semper Fi

hotreds 09-10-2013 05:49 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...,1,0_SH20_.jpg

Had the pleasure of meeting him at the WWII Weekend in Reading, Pa. this year. Wonderful read!

Apoco 09-11-2013 02:38 PM

Dust - The last book of the Silo series from Hugh Howey. Good stuff. I've really enjoyed the series.

American Psycho - I'm really not sure if I'm going to manage to finish this. It's weirding me out, and starting to get really graphic. Like, really graphic. I haven't ever seen (read, watched, or played) anything quite like it...
Posted via Mobile Device

billybarue 09-11-2013 10:19 PM

Paradise Lost - Milton

I have to read (and re-read) slowly for comprehension - much like Shakespeare. But really enjoy it.

AdamJoshua 09-11-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 1879644)
Finished up Clash of Kings and Ender's Game.

Love Ender's Game read it once a year or so.

Tripwire by Lee Child - 3rd book in the Jack Reacher series, read the first 2 in 2 days.

pnoon 09-11-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 1882354)

Tripwire by Lee Child - 3rd book in the Jack Reacher series, read the first 2 in 2 days.

They keep getting better.

CigarNut 09-11-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1882358)
They keep getting better.

Yes they do!

pnoon 09-11-2013 11:29 PM

I'm reading Ascadia: Titans Of Men

kaisersozei 09-14-2013 07:13 AM

To Sell is Human by Daniel Pink and Pimsleur's "Beginning German" audio book in preparation for my Oktoberfest trip in a few weeks! :chr

rebelknight 09-14-2013 06:19 PM

First Family by David Baldacci

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orsefo translated by J.R.R. Tolkien

jledou 09-16-2013 05:12 AM

Charon's Claw by Salvatore and Over the Edge by Kellerman

rebelknight 09-22-2013 07:10 PM

Money by Martin Amis

LasciviousXXX 09-23-2013 09:59 PM

Currently reading The Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa. Don't know how I've never read this before but it's quite enjoyable thus far.