Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

MNSmoker 11-19-2008 04:12 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitdavi (Post 8630)
Working through the Vince Flynn novels right now :tu

Vince Flynn is one of my favorite authors. I'm in the middle of his latest book, "Extreme Measures" right now. Mitch Rapp is a badass. :tu

:eevis 11-19-2008 04:50 PM

Just finished re-reading "Stingray Shuffle" by Tim Dorsey. Serge Storms is one of the most demented and funny characters in a book I have ever come across. I have to assume that these are great reads for any Floridians because of the quirky Florida tie-ins

:r:r:r:r
Four Rollies out of four

Cigargal 11-19-2008 06:31 PM

Just finished Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. Great mystery-makes me want to read the Three Musketeers again.

Starting The Private Patient by P.D. James-just came out this week.

Cigargal 11-19-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MithShrike (Post 77022)
Forest Mage by Robin Hobb.

I have this series but haven't read it yet. I read some bad reviws of these books and find it hard to believe. Hobb is usually spot on with her tales. Let me know what you think.

Starscream 11-20-2008 04:29 PM

Just started on Go Ask Alice. Not a bad read so far.

hotreds 11-27-2008 08:26 PM

Hammer from Above: Marine Air Combat Over Iraq by Jay Stout

yourchoice 11-27-2008 09:37 PM

I just finished The First Commandment by Brad Thor. I am completely caught up on him now. What to read next?...
Quote:

Originally Posted by PitmanGeek (Post 8115)
I started (and finished) Jar City by Arnaldur Indriđason this past Sunday. If you like crime thrillers, this one is indeed good. It had been quite a long time since I started and finished a book in one day, but I just couldn't put this one down.

Sounds good, I'm going to reserve this one at the library, and

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNSmoker (Post 77052)
Vince Flynn is one of my favorite authors. I'm in the middle of his latest book, "Extreme Measures" right now. Mitch Rapp is a badass. :tu

Thanks for the heads up! I love Vince Flynn. He and Brad Thor are very similar. Scot Harvath and Mitch Rapp are both badasses! Going to reserve this one too. :tu

SilverFox 11-27-2008 10:47 PM

A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle is my current read it is a pretty amazing book about human spirituality.

I am an avid read I eat up most any fiction. From Brad Thor to Grisham and all spectrums in between

MithShrike 11-28-2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 77272)
I have this series but haven't read it yet. I read some bad reviws of these books and find it hard to believe. Hobb is usually spot on with her tales. Let me know what you think.

Well the character of Nevare is no FitzChivalry that's for sure. He's spoiled, more naive than is good for him, and refuses to acknowledge reality. These books are far more introspective and some of the major 'action' sequences are kind of more abstract than anything. Still, I like it. Unlike Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb can still write after releasing a few books.

Cigargal 11-28-2008 06:30 PM

Finished The Private Patient, by P.D. James and loved it.

Started Jewish Pirates of the Carribean.

PitmanGeek 11-30-2008 01:08 PM

Blaze – Richard Bachman (a.k.a. Stephen King)

A very enjoyable quick read from King. He writes that this was a book that he had in the can for many years, and he recently dusted it off. Not the usual King fare, I can see why he kept it under the Bachman pseudonym. Vaguely reminiscent of Raising Arizona in that it is a kidnapping gone bad… although you can’t help feeling sympathy for Blaze, the “dummy” who is able to pull off the kidnapping of a 6-month old with the help of his dead “brains” of the outfit (George). Blaze operates while hearing the voice of his dead friend in his head, giving him the sage advice he needs to pull off the feat.

I had to smile and laugh when Blaze makes the kidnapping call to the parents… collect, because he doesn’t have any change… and he gives the operator his name to use.

I would recommend this… especially to those who don’t normally read King novels.

PitmanGeek 11-30-2008 01:14 PM

I also just finished...

Mary, Mary – James Patterson

Another Richard Cross novel. Interesting in that Patterson is able to tie everything together by the end. A pretty easy and straight-forward read that is interesting in the ties to Hollywood. Probably a little too much time spent on Cross’ life and times, but overall a pretty good read, fits in well with all of the Cross series of thrillers.

PitmanGeek 11-30-2008 01:17 PM

On the flight to Vegas I finished:

Silence of the Grave by Arnaldur Indridason

This was my second book by Indridason and I must say that I loved it as much as the first. This is the second in the Reykavik thriller series and the same detectives are at work again. I must say that the back stories and how they intermingle with the characters is the strength of his writing.

You get a complete understanding as to the environment of Iceland and it’s place in the world. He is able to tie in stories from the war eras and how they relate to modern day.

The protagonist (Erlandur) is a meaty character as well with enough baggage to have a series of stories on his own. His failings as a father and husband continue to haunt him even as his success as a detective soars.

There is something that I connect to with these novels… this was another single-seating read started and finished on the flight to Vegas.

PitmanGeek 11-30-2008 01:19 PM

On the flight back from Vegas:

Voices by Arnaldur Indridason

The third book in the Reykavik series is as good as the first two. The protagonist (Erlandur) is an entertaining character in his flaws and limitations. Indridason does a good job of integrating the back stories with the overall story. Believable and sincere, the tie-ins are what help make this another winner.

The story is of a child star (adolescent soprano) who loses his voice and loses his family in the process. Forty years after his success (two recordings), the child star turns up dead in the basement of a 4-star hotel dressed in a Santa suit. As unusual as it sounds, it is all made believable – especially in Iceland.

G G 11-30-2008 01:29 PM

A book called Promise Me, by Harlen Coben. Not a bad read so far.

Starscream 11-30-2008 05:36 PM

Just finished Go Ask Alice. Nott a bad read. Very motivational for teenagers.

SteveA 12-02-2008 09:57 PM

Working on the second volume of "The Civil War" by Shelby Foote.

Cigargal 12-04-2008 08:45 PM

I had never read a Michael Connelly book so I checked out his first Harry Bosch book, Black Echo.

neoflex 12-04-2008 09:08 PM

To Fat to Fish, the book written and about Artie Lange

Seanohue 12-04-2008 09:29 PM

I'm 1/3 of the way through The Monk; reading it for my Horror and Mystery Literature class.

smitdavi 12-05-2008 06:42 AM

Still reading a lot of Clive Cussler. Just finished the Oregon Series, about to start another of his series's

Cigargal 12-05-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanohue (Post 101981)
I'm 1/3 of the way through The Monk; reading it for my Horror and Mystery Literature class.

Who wrote it?

MithShrike 12-05-2008 12:23 PM

Currently reading An Earthly Crown by Kate Elliot. It's supposed to be the first book in a series, I have the second. However, if you don't read Jaran which is in the same world/story you'll be lost.

Fumes 12-05-2008 01:15 PM

Just finished The Limits of Power by Andrew Bacevich and started The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman. Also reading The Collected Stories of Paul Bowles.

ripper 12-05-2008 11:20 PM

"The Road to Dallas" by David Kaiser - Harvard U. Press.
He is a Naval War College historian who cleanly details the conspiracy by the Mob, Cuban nationals linked to CIA and 3 men, including Oswald, to kill JFK. It is excellent.

Ubergopher 12-06-2008 10:58 PM

Right now I'm in the middle of "Until We Have Faces" by CS Lewis, before that I read a bunch of books when I was at Ghazni, the first 3 Bournes, "Marching through Peachtree", "Time travellers strictly cash", and I'm about to re-re-re-re-read "Starship Troopers" when I finish the book I'm currently reading.

Seanohue 12-07-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 102722)
Who wrote it?

Matthew Lewis

Cigargal 12-15-2008 10:13 AM

Finished Black Echo, by Michael Connelly. Read Death of a Cad by MC Beaton(fluffy Scottish mystery) am now reading Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr. Good first mystery about a park ranger.

Next is another Connelly, Black Ice.

goalie204 12-15-2008 10:33 AM

these forums

King James 12-15-2008 11:15 AM

Now that the semester is over I can start reading things I actually want to read. Going to finish up Mickey Mantle biography and then get into Complete work of Poe.... maybe pick up Artie Lang's autobiography "too fat to fish"

MithShrike 12-15-2008 11:49 AM

Reading Dan Simmons' Summer of Night. Excellent book so far.

King James 12-15-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoflex (Post 101927)
To Fat to Fish, the book written and about Artie Lange

Is it good? Thinking about picking it up

perogee 12-15-2008 01:15 PM

Currently working my way through Catch 22. It is a really strange read :). I kind of feel like I am losing my grip on reality while reading it, lol.

hotreds 12-15-2008 05:55 PM

Feet Wet: Reflections of a Carrier Pilot by Paul T. Gillcrist

Steve 12-16-2008 07:23 AM

Crunch & Des, Classic Stories of Saltwater Fishing by Philip Wylie.

I finally found a copy at a library that I could check out. Fun read!

PeteSB75 12-16-2008 07:47 AM

Slowly working my way through Anathem, the new Neal Stephenson. Starts off pretty slow, but it's getting good now...

lightning9191 12-16-2008 03:32 PM

I finished "How We Die" and have moved on to "From Here to Eternity"

Cigargal 01-01-2009 11:06 AM

I read Black Ice, The Concrete Blonde and now I am reading The Last Coyote.

That makes 78 books for 2008. My goal was 50, so I guess I made it. I might try for 100, but that is a stretch when I start the year out with so many good video games:D

Next I am going to try Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston

Starscream 01-01-2009 09:48 PM

The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Vol. One

Absolutely wonderful work. I didn't know that Holmes was a cocaine addict.

Steve 01-01-2009 10:07 PM

Into the Backing

Cenookie 01-01-2009 10:11 PM

Recently finished Persian Fire by Tom Holland. A very good read about the rise of the Persian empire and their battle with the Greeks. I'm now reading 1421 The Year China Discovered America by Gavin Menzies, very interesting.

Mugen910 01-01-2009 10:16 PM

just finished I am legend.
working on harry potter 6 again
Posted via Mobile Device

Waynegro1 01-01-2009 10:40 PM

I'm reading "The Art Of War" by Sun Tzu (Special Edition). I read this book every January. I love it!!

Ubergopher 01-02-2009 07:04 AM

I just finished The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. Now I'll try and make sense of the Abolition of Man. I think I get smarter just looking at the book cover.

webjunkie 01-02-2009 07:09 AM

Just started Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy.

RevSmoke 01-02-2009 09:59 AM

For fun: Brisinger by Christopher Paolini & The Deerslayer, by James Fenimor Cooper

Professionally: Grace Upon Grace, by Rev. John Kleinig & The Preached God, by Gerhard Forde & The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins

GKitty 01-02-2009 10:02 AM

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

A christmas gift from my step-mom who is my partner in literary gluttony.

I forgot how much I love a good legal drama.

Heliofire 01-02-2009 10:04 AM

Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin

pnoon 01-02-2009 10:19 AM

I just finished The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. Another winner. :tu
I just started Hell's Kitchen by Jeffrey Deaver (writing as William Jeffries).

Cigargal 01-02-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 146001)
I just finished The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen. Another winner. :tu
I just started Hell's Kitchen by Jeffrey Deaver (writing as William Jeffries).

Just added The Keepsake to the Library collection, but I still have to read her last one-I like to read her in order.

Glad to see ther is another Michael Connelly fan here Miss Kitty. If you like Harry Bosch then you will like Ian Rankin's series with Inspector John Rebus.