Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I smoked an Acid cigar (but didn't inhale) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72792)

nutcracker 04-06-2017 03:00 PM

I smoked an Acid cigar (but didn't inhale)

I confess, I smoked an Acid today. It found its way into my luggage returning from Nicaragua. I probably risk ridicule from cigar aficionados and being shunned at the next herf. However, my friend Mike P is a huge fan. Now it’s possible that Mike had one too many blows to the noggin in the Police Academy, or he has no taste. I have however met his soul mate GD, so the latter can’t be true. There must be something to this brand and its enormous popularity.

The construction is excellent. No uneven spots or blemishes on what appear to be a habanos wrapper.

On the pre-light I was immediately struck by the infused tip. There is a sweetness one finds on DE Natural and the Deadwood offerings. I don’t care for that too much, but pressed on. The immediate aroma on lighting is reminiscent of East Indian incense, but there is a spice to it – perhaps clove, cardamom or cinnamon. Combined with the sweet tip, I’m reminded of egg-nog. At this point I’m not sure if I should wear a Kaftan or a reindeer hat.

The first third is fairly straightforward tobacco – no condiment leaf here, and the cigar relies on the infusion for flavor and aroma. Halfway in I was shocked by the nicotine content. Although the flavor is mild, the nicotine is not. The burn was a little uneven, nothing a torch touch up couldn’t deal with. The flavor is fairly one dimensional, and I pitched the nub about two thirds in.

I think the cigar is well made – nothing overly exciting, and the aroma is certainly interesting (if not my thing). It does speak to the creativity of Jonathan Drew and his team. This line is largely responsible for the initial success of DE, but those of us who have become used to his high end offering, this is but a minor curiosity.

YankeeMan 04-06-2017 03:21 PM

Re: I smoked an Acid cigar (but didn't inhale)

I tried a couple of them, but I pick up on the clove flavor and unfortunately I can't stand the taste of cloves. I do like their Opulance III.

Porch Dweller 04-06-2017 03:52 PM

Five or six years ago when I started getting more serious about cigars I enjoyed the Kuba Kuba and Opulence3. Then one day I smoked one after having gone about three months without an Acid and upon my first puff I realized it was no longer a taste I enjoyed.

But I'd never put someone down for enjoying them. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Plus, they're a great "gateway" cigar that can lead smokers to some nice, quality, non-infused sticks.

AdamJoshua 04-06-2017 04:51 PM

I accidentally bought some of his flavored offerings off the devil site when I first took the cigar plunge, I honestly couldn't get past two puffs, it was hazelnut something or other, it was sickeningly sweet to me, they got donated to the troops here, just because they aren't my thing I'm sure someone enjoyed them. :tu

Remo 04-06-2017 05:01 PM

I think I have smoked a Blondie or two, seemed ok.

markem 04-06-2017 06:48 PM

Nice review.

My opinion is this: smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

The same opinion holds for motorcycles, etc. Life is too short to dis someone else's smoke.

Still, the PPPP at the Shack is fun. :D

The Poet 04-06-2017 07:01 PM

I dropped acid once and had a cigar. Does that count?

av8tor152d 04-07-2017 07:09 AM

Kuba Kuba is what got me started into smoking cigars, they were generously donated to the troops while I as deployed back in 06, then a dear friend introduced me to others and down the slope I went. Every now and then I will enjoy a Kuba Kuba just to reminisce.

icehog3 04-07-2017 09:42 AM

Definitely well made cigars, the infusions just aren't for me though, Neil.

Please root for Johnny T. to hoist the Cup again for Winnipeg. :)