Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cigar Advice (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72701)

Amusebouche 03-10-2017 08:45 AM

Cigar Advice

Hi,
I am quite new to Cigars and so I would greatly appreciate some advice and suggestions. I am looking for Non Cuban Cigars that fit the following Criteria and it would be wonderful if you can possibly help me.
I am looking for
Non-Cubans
Medium Strength or Medium/Low but not Medium/Full bodied
Woody Taste
Ring Gauge minimum 50
Length minimum 6inches
Torpedo or Pyramide [ I am flexible on this ]
If anyone can make any suggestions that would be so kind.

pnoon 03-10-2017 08:56 AM

Re: Cigar Advice

Welcome to Cigar Asylum.

It is interesting that being quite new to cigars what you seek is quite specific and narrow in scope. There are many here who can probably offer you some suggestions but if you take the time to look around our forum, you'll find quite a lot of information as well.

Take a moment and post an introduction in the New Inmate forum. Tell us a bit about yourself. You'll find our membership quite welcoming.

AdamJoshua 03-10-2017 09:47 AM

Sounds like my ex wife, min 50 RG and at least 6" sadly fit the bill.

markem 03-10-2017 10:16 AM

Welcome! What part of the world are you in? There are some very good cigar shops all over and if someone in your area can point you to one that may be the best choice for right now.

Porch Dweller 03-10-2017 10:19 AM

CyB is the first thing that comes to mind.

icehog3 03-10-2017 01:57 PM

I think Mark's suggestion would make it easier for our inmates to give some recommendations. What part of the world are you in?

Wharf Rat 03-10-2017 02:26 PM

There are a number of retail cigar websites that let you search on some of your parameters. For example https://www.jrcigars.com/advanced-search

stearns 03-10-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2118756)
Welcome! What part of the world are you in? There are some very good cigar shops all over and if someone in your area can point you to one that may be the best choice for right now.

If you can get to a reputable shop, that's where I always suggest people start. If they have a good selection and, more importantly, knowledgeable staff it's best to start there. There are simply too many cigars out there in the world to be able to give a concise answer online. At a shop, you can walk around with the tobacconist and select a sample out of what they recommend, and use that to further narrow down (ex/ "I thought I liked big ring gauges but maybe I want something a little smaller", or "I had written off Niceraguans but I'm glad that guy had me try one, I want to go down that road a little more")

Once you have a better idea of what you like with a little more specifics, you can come back to a place like this and say, or example, "I had a Fuente 898 maduro that was good, but I wanted something slightly wider/longer, is there anything recommended that would be similar?"

I used to love introducing people to cigars back in the day, even if they just wanted to buy one for now but wanted to talk about other ones to try in the future. it's a good time, especially if you can smoke in the shop and narrow down your opinion while there :ss

Amusebouche 03-10-2017 06:54 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in a city in Northern Thailand and there is only 1 cigar shop and they only sell Cubans. I have been smoking for 6 months now and have now narrowed the taste and also the strength that I like. I have been buying mainly online. I have smoked mainly cubans and would like some recommendations for Non Cubans that have woody taste and are medium. this is most important for me.

Ansatci6 06-07-2017 08:45 PM

I am also confused about that.

pnoon 06-07-2017 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansatci6 (Post 2126024)
I am also confused about that.

I bet you are, David Gordon.

Doctorossi 06-09-2017 10:29 AM

The first "woody" NC torpedo that leaps to my mind is the Cuesta-Rey. It's a solid and consistent smoke (well-made by Ashton/Fuente), but not screamingly exciting.