Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5536)

petewho 12-04-2008 02:14 PM

I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba

:pu

Someone gave me a Kuba Kuba.

No, OK, so, really, I had been wondering why these get such a bad rap. I had genuinely been wanting to try a flavored cigar. I was actually looking forward to this cigar.

It was gifted to me in a small plastic ziplock. I opened the bag, the initial smell wasn't "bad", but just different. It smelled faintly of my wife's shampoo, but not overpowering. Still kinda-sorta smelled like a cigar too.

I took the stick out of its celo and was impressed. The band is nothing special, but the wrapper and cap were beautiful. Whoever rolled my Kuba did a damn fine job, and it clipped cleanly too. Then I made my first mistake and put the stick in my mouth...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, what on earth did I just put my lips on?!?!?!?! (note, I hadn't uttered this phrase since I was single and out dating some sketchy gals)

OK, wasn't ready for the sweetened tip. Now that I'm ready for it, I try again. Draw is perfect. I have nothing but good things to say about the construction of this stick. I fired it up...

"this thing smells like a hippy"

Do they dip them in patchouli oil then rub em in dirt or something? I wasn't sure, but within two or three puffs the tobacco aroma/flavor kicked in strong with a nice peppery note hiding the other aromas and I thought to myself, "I can see why some people smoke these". I started my walk...

By the next block something changed. Either the portion of the stick I was smoking was totally devoid of flavor, or the scent/aromas/toxins/rat poision they add to the stick had melted away my taste buds. Wasn't sure which, but the hippy aroma was still present so my nose was unharmed. Being a glutton for punishment I pressed on...

by the 1/3 mark the stick had settled into a pretty consistent mix of strong tobacco, pepper, and hippy, with the sweetened tip starting to mellow out. Unsure of the presence of any mind-altering chemicals added to the stick, my thoughts flipfloped between, "this is the worst cigar I have ever tasted" and "I suppose I can understand why some people like these". I paused on my walk at a park bench far away from any other (conscious) people and puffed away.

The stick held an ash all the way to the 1/2 point and required only one minor touchup. Again, I can't say enough good things about the construction of the Kuba. Really top notch.

Shortly before the 2/3 mark things got ugly. My Kuba came into its own and suddenly I understood the descriptions I've read about these before: "It's like licking gogo dancer panties soaked in head shop lamp oil." Ah, yes, exactly. I understand.

I pitched it. I stood up, thusly making my second mistake. I sat back down.

OK, so Kubas pack a pretty big nic kick too! Did not know this... Granted this was before lunch, but still, I didn't expect 2/3 of a fat robusto to hit me so hard. I floated back to the office with the hippy aroma following me the entire way. I dropped my jacket off in my car as to not bring too much aroma back into the office with me, and went through 5 Altoids to try and clear the toxins.

What can I say? Is it a unique product? Absolutely! Is the construction top shelf? You bet! Is it for me? No way!

I was gifted two. I think I'm going to put a DPG band on the other one and play a practical joke on someone.

rck70 12-04-2008 02:19 PM

Re: I smoked an Acid Kuba Kuba

I like a flavored cigar now and again, but did not like the Kuba Kuba. In the Acid line i like the 1400cc

pnoon 12-04-2008 02:20 PM

Thought and prayers going out to you. :)

hotreds 12-04-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 100978)

Sounds appropriate!

icehog3 12-04-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petewho (Post 100963)
I was gifted two. I think I'm going to put a DPG band on the other one and play a practical joke on someone.

Anybody who has ever smoked even a couple cigars will know something is up once that cigar is within 10 feet of their nose. :2

Smokin Gator 12-04-2008 02:53 PM

That was a classic review... thanks for the laughs brother!!

ashmaster 12-04-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 100978)

Love your review, it's dead on (IMHO).

I swore I would never try one, well, a few months back I said what the "heck", why not. That was the first and last time one of those will come close to me again, it just ain't right.

MithShrike 12-04-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 101048)
That was a classic review... thanks for the laughs brother!!

Yeah the review had me rolling. The guy that introduced me to cigars loved those ACIDs. Nasty things. I hate the reek they put off even while they're still in the box.

DrDubzz 12-04-2008 03:01 PM

my brother and I attempted some Copper Label CI legends (drew estate) that he had hiding in his cooler. If you forget it's a cigar, the wrapper tastes pretty good (like chocolate), but smoking it was unbearable

Skywalker 12-04-2008 03:06 PM

Way to take one for the team Pete!!!:r

If you thought you hated this one try the Blondie!!!:pu

BlackIrish 12-04-2008 03:13 PM

Fantastic review! I smoked an Acid once, can't recall which, out of idle curiosity, and my reaction was very much like yours, although you put it into words better than I could have.

There's no accounting for taste.

petewho 12-04-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 101079)
Way to take one for the team Pete!!!:r

I take great pride in suffering. To this day I STILL feel guilty for not finishing my Cremosa at my first Herf.

Mark C 12-04-2008 03:22 PM

I smoked a Dirt a few years ago. It was one of the first 5 cigars I'd ever smoked, and even then I thought something was off. The taste didn't bother me too much, but the sweet wrapper was disturbing. My sister in law loved the sweetness though, I let her finish it.

Mark C 12-04-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

"It's like licking gogo dancer panties soaked in head shop lamp oil."

And I thought 12 year old madagascar vanilla was tough to nail down, I'm impressed at your taste buds!

petewho 12-04-2008 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 101124)
And I thought 12 year old madagascar vanilla was tough to nail down, I'm impressed at your taste buds!

I can not lay claim to that one! That's the description I read in other reviews... Once I smoked the Kuba, I understood those other reviewers. Makes perfect sense if you ever smoke one of these!

rsamos 12-04-2008 05:08 PM

I smoked a Kuba Kuba last year that a friend (who loves them) gifted me.

I wasn't able to identify the flavor though. I think "hippy" sums it up nicely. At least as far as I remember it.

Great review, and I agree - they're built really well.

bobarian 12-04-2008 05:12 PM

Great review Pete.:pu My condolences. :r

lenguamor 12-04-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 101020)
Anybody who has ever smoked even a couple cigars will know something is up once that cigar is within 10 feet of their nose. :2

They are foul.

Ratters 12-04-2008 07:20 PM

Great review. :tu

fsjonsey 12-05-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

"this thing smells like a hippy"

Best description of an ACID, ever.