Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thanks! And 0lease forgive me (I smoked your cigar) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45635)

RevSmoke 05-16-2011 07:40 AM

Thanks! And 0lease forgive me (I smoked your cigar)

Most of you know that I don't smoke a cigar every day, in fact, most days I don't. I smoke 3-5 cigars a week, and oftentimes they all happen on the same day (out fishing, golfing, at a herf, etc...)

Anyway, I save cigars gifted to me, especially if there is only one. I want to be able to savor it and enjoy it, really getting the full experience. It is my hope that I can then let the gifter know how much I enjoyed it. I have cigars that were gifts that are in the 9 year old range (since I received them). I didn't label all of them, and some were simply never labeled, because I thought I'd remember were I got them from.

Ooooopppps...

This last week I was up nort' eh? and smoked a few cigars (per day), some of them were gifts from members of this board. Some of them I can identify the gifters, one I cannot - please forgive me.

Hotreds - an Oliva V Torpedo from back in the jungle sometime. I smoke lots of Vs, love them, but don’t smoke many of the shaped sticks. I cannot say that it tasted too much different than other Vs, but the distinct flavors were a bit smoother with some age on this stick. I only wish I’d have had a fresher one there to smoke side by side with it for comparison. Thanks, Hugh!

Massphatness - a Taboo African Cameroon, also from back in jungle days. I think these used to be spicier, but the other guys up there agreed that this is one that aged well - some cream and spice were noticeably present. Thanks, Vin!

Dunkel - a 601 Blue maduro Robusto that he sent as part of a MAW. I hadn’t had one of these, and was skeptical because Mac always is bragging on them and I know that no single cigar can be that good. Well Mac, it is a good smoke, I like the cocoa and slight spice. It was nicely complex, way more than I expected. I don’t smoke as many maduros as I used to, so this was a nice change of pace. Thanks, Doug!

I don’t know - a CAO Cameroon Robusto which has been in the humidor for a few years. I don’t know who sent it to me, but this was also a very enjoyable stick. I love a good Cameroon wrapped stick, the spice is usually nice and sweet.
Thanks, whoever! (Forgive me for not remembering who gifted it to me)

Brutus2600 - bombed me at the request of another, one was a Tatuaje Barclay Rex 100th Anniversary, an interesting cigar, but I cannot say that I was blown away by it. It wasn’t bad, but I expected more - it had some spice and leather, but it was rather one dimensional.
The other was an Arturo Fuente Sungrown Queen "B." I’d had one of these before, so I wasn’t paying as much attention to it as I should have been. It was also smoked during the one time last week at which the fishing got really decent and we were no being driven from the lake by lightning. Some cedar, chocolate, and spice come through nicely, very enjoyable stick.
Thanks, Brian!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Brutus2600 05-16-2011 09:50 AM

Re: Thanks! And 0lease forgive me (I smoked your cigar)

Sounds like a good week of smoking brother! I'm in the same boat as you, I usually only get 3-5 sticks in a week and most are in one day ;) Glad you enjoyed the Queen, and your assessment of the Barclay Rex is pretty much spot on - decent smoke, but pretty one dimensional.

shilala 05-16-2011 10:42 AM

That was some good smoking, Todd. :tu

CoreyD 05-16-2011 04:30 PM

You know how much I smoke when doing outdoors things and during week and while you were enjoying smokes I didn't smoke a cigar until friday the huge LFD you gifted me , I smoked on way up north and only 2 more the rest of weekend and lost my favorite pipe out of my pocket after quickly pocketing it as i got the he's smoking unapproval look from the parental units but oddly without finding it the firepit smelt like latakia and purple cow hours later. So to hear you got to enjoy some great smokes, thats great to hear. What else you smoke up there, I love hearing what you decided to smoke out of you many choices and great sticks.