Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's the deal with Cigar price drops? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74122)

DEZn00ts 05-13-2018 04:52 PM

What's the deal with Cigar price drops?

Why is it they say that certain cigars (Example Gurkha Private Reserve) are worth so much amount of money but every website you go to has the same deal/price for them? Those Gurkhas are SUPPOSEDLY 1200 a box/30 but are selling for $269/$299. Is it because they don't sell? What is with that?

T.G 05-13-2018 05:19 PM

Re: What's the deal with Cigar price drops?

Marketing games. Higher price = implied exclusivity or superior quality.

Not unlike why Grey Goose vodka comes from France. All marketing and perceptions games.

DEZn00ts 05-13-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2151719)
Marketing games. Higher price = implied exclusivity or superior quality.

Not unlike why Grey Goose vodka comes from France. All marketing and perceptions games.

I figured it was the same thing. So what is your take on that? Are the more expensive cigars usually better?

icehog3 05-13-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZn00ts (Post 2151721)
I figured it was the same thing. So what is your take on that? Are the more expensive cigars usually better?

In the case of Gurkhas, absolutely not.

Mostly take others on a case by case basis.

T.G 05-13-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2151722)
In the case of Gurkhas, absolutely not.

Mostly take others on a case by case basis.

^ this

markem 05-13-2018 05:34 PM

Smoke what you like.
Like what you smoke.
If you can afford the stick, then no worries.
What other people think of the stick doesn't matter. It's your palette.

Weelok 05-13-2018 06:17 PM

One thing Gurkha knows is marketing to rich people. The rich desire something normal people can’t afford and rich people don’t price check on Cigar bid or buy on close out.

Now finding a cigar you like at a price you will pay, that is the challenge.

DEZn00ts 05-14-2018 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2151726)
Smoke what you like.
Like what you smoke.
If you can afford the stick, then no worries.
What other people think of the stick doesn't matter. It's your palette.

Agreed. I am not smoking cigars for the pleasure of others just trying to get a genral feel of the market and how it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weelok (Post 2151728)
One thing Gurkha knows is marketing to rich people. The rich desire something normal people can’t afford and rich people don’t price check on Cigar bid or buy on close out.

Now finding a cigar you like at a price you will pay, that is the challenge.

I figured, it seemed to me that Gurkha was the midrange, expensively priced item that people buy because they THINK it's worth more. That "so-called" 1200 price drop to 269 was a red flag. Things that are worth the price would NEVER drop in price that much, even though it's an artificial drop. This hobby is the most expensive hobby I have ever had, already have over 600 dollars in cigars I want to buy and already spent almost 200 within a week of starting. I love the excitement of waiting for some new cigars, can't wait to smell them.

Tio Gato 05-14-2018 02:42 AM

Enjoy the ride!:adam

Wharf Rat 05-14-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZn00ts (Post 2151744)
Agreed. I am not smoking cigars for the pleasure of others just trying to get a genral feel of the market and how it works.

I figured, it seemed to me that Gurkha was the midrange, expensively priced item that people buy because they THINK it's worth more. That "so-called" 1200 price drop to 269 was a red flag. Things that are worth the price would NEVER drop in price that much, even though it's an artificial drop. This hobby is the most expensive hobby I have ever had, already have over 600 dollars in cigars I want to buy and already spent almost 200 within a week of starting. I love the excitement of waiting for some new cigars, can't wait to smell them.

Like, wine, whiskeys, etc., cigars attract a certain gang who feel they can justify extremely high prices for that special product that only their refined palettes can appreciate. For the rest of us, spending your money wisely has its own rewards. So, you might enjoy Looking up the thread, “Best Budget / Value Sticks $3 and under”

hammondc 05-14-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio Gato (Post 2151745)
Enjoy the ride!:adam

The slope is slippery with this one!

hammondc 05-14-2018 01:53 PM

As others have said, you have to do it on a case/case basis. Do I think a Padron 1964/1926 is worth every penny? Absolutely. DO I think a Ghurka is work the same money? Absolutely not. Price /= Quality in cigars. There are a LOT of marketing gimmicks....some brands are worse than others...cough cough Gurkha, cough, Rocky Patel.

DEZn00ts 05-14-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 2151791)
As others have said, you have to do it on a case/case basis. Do I think a Padron 1964/1926 is worth every penny? Absolutely. DO I think a Ghurka is work the same money? Absolutely not. Price /= Quality in cigars. There are a LOT of marketing gimmicks....some brands are worse than others...cough cough Gurkha, cough, Rocky Patel.

Yea for some reason I had an odd feeling for Rocky Patels, i think it's the wide range of prices they have for their cigars. I guess I won't be touching any Gurkhas! lol.

WhiteMamba 05-14-2018 07:35 PM

Most guys around here aren’t big fans of ghurka but if you like them have at em. Seems like I remember a box pass a few years ago that was dedicated to getting rid of them

DEZn00ts 05-14-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteMamba (Post 2151816)
Most guys around here aren’t big fans of ghurka but if you like them have at em. Seems like I remember a box pass a few years ago that was dedicated to getting rid of them

If I like something I will smoke it but at the same time it's good to get a feel for what people do and don't like in the environment.

T.G 05-14-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZn00ts (Post 2151796)
Yea for some reason I had an odd feeling for Rocky Patels, i think it's the wide range of prices they have for their cigars. I guess I won't be touching any Gurkhas! lol.

Rocky is an interesting guy. When his stuff is on, it's solid. When it's a victim of over production, it's mediocre.

Cigar preferences and perceptions aside, I give him credit for being one of the few at the forefront of fighting with the FDA and congress for cigar smokers rights. And, he's an attorney, so that's a bonus in that debacle.

DEZn00ts 05-14-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2151827)
Rocky is an interesting guy. When his stuff is on, it's solid. When it's a victim of over production, it's mediocre.

Cigar preferences and perceptions aside, I give him credit for being one of the few at the forefront of fighting with the FDA and congress for cigar smokers rights. And, he's an attorney, so that's a bonus in that debacle.

I knew I heard that name somewhere else besides cigars!!!:hm

T.G 05-14-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEZn00ts (Post 2151829)
I knew I heard that name somewhere else besides cigars!!!:hm

He served you too?

DEZn00ts 05-14-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2151830)
He served you too?

:r

Brian D. 05-15-2018 08:33 AM

Funny you'd mention Rocky Patel. He's coming to the weekly herf thrown by Party Source at Beer Sellar today, since his brand is featured this week. There will be people show up that we've never seen at PS events because Rocky is coming. And we won't see them again until Rocky, A.J. Fernandez, or similar cigar "celebrity" are slated to appear.