Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ever sell back vacation time? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55418)

timj219 05-02-2012 10:55 AM

Ever sell back vacation time?

I'm trying to decide whether to sell back a chunk of my PTO. Somewhere between 80 and 150 hours. I have 230 now so selling 150 would leave me with 80 which is the minimum they say I have to have left after the sell back. The company is offering 90% value. I have no commitments now that will require much vacation time and obviously I don't usually take much time off. I've accrued about as much as I can and will either have to start taking time off or do the sell back because soon I'll hit the limit and won't accrue any more.

I'll probably sell it back - just getting cold feet at the last minute I guess and wondering if maybe I should be using this time. Maybe the time off is worth more than the money. Anybody ever do this? Did you wish later you hadn't?

Remo 05-02-2012 10:59 AM

Re: Ever sell back vacation time?

Not sure what line of work you are in, but I would not sell it back at 90%...I love my time off and since when you take time off you are getting 100% pay (I assume) TAKE THE TIME OFF!!!!! No headstone ever read "I wish I would have spent more time at work"

G G 05-02-2012 11:25 AM

I have sold back 100 hours last year, because for the last couple years I haven't been taking a lot of time off. I get up to 100 at 100%.

14holestogie 05-02-2012 11:26 AM

By the same token, if you're not going to use it all and it's going to affect you accruing more hours, then 90% beats 0%.

You know there's plenty of major league herfs you could "waste" those hours on. :2

Ogre 05-02-2012 11:26 AM

We are allowed 56 each year. I have done it, but it 100%

jonumberone 05-02-2012 11:30 AM

I never sell my time.
Some guys at my job do.
I've gone to my boss to see if I can buy the time they're trying to sell back.
He never goes for it. :(

Remo 05-02-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 1629676)
By the same token, if you're not going to use it all and it's going to affect you accruing more hours, then 90% beats 0%.

You know there's plenty of major league herfs you could "waste" those hours on. :2

That's true, we hit "use or lose" can't buy them back so just use them up and get paid....fishing time :tu

14holestogie 05-02-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 (Post 1629683)
That's true, we hit "use or lose" can't buy them back so just use them up and get paid....fishing time :tu

Being in the supervisory field, we've been "use or lose" forever.
Haven't lost a second yet in 25 years. :D

Remo 05-02-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 1629686)
Being in the supervisory field, we've been "use or lose" forever.
Haven't lost a second yet in 25 years. :D

Yup, never give them back a cent :tu

Blak Smyth 05-02-2012 11:36 AM

I have traded mine in at the end of the year, supervisors used to loose it but now you just get a check back. I typically use all mine. I like to take random Fridays off and it adds up by the end of the year so don't ever have any left.

E.J. 05-02-2012 11:43 AM

I am in the "use it" camp, assuming that you don't "NEED" the cash....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogre (Post 1629677)
We are allowed 56 each year. I have done it, but it 100%

Does that include sick and/or holidays.....:jd If just "vacation" that is a sweet benefit package...:tu

Remo 05-02-2012 11:46 AM

I can carry 220 hrs. vacation a year, anything over that is use or lose, can carry 12 holidays again use or lose over that, 80 hrs sick , any over that rolls into a 509c account that I can have for medical expenses when I retire :tu

OLS 05-02-2012 11:50 AM

I can't imagine a job where an employee wouldn't HAVE TO TAKE every minute of every hour of paid time off
JUST to keep them from putting a gun in their mouth. I swear, I dug in my heels last year to get a third week
of vacation here, but I told them I wanted the time or I was going to have to have 365 days a year off.

You work like a dog your whole life and congressmen and women who will never have to worry about anything
later in life, steal from your social security, they jump up the retirement age, they try to take away your rights
to have an insurance company pay out when you get sick after a lifetime of paying in. It's ****ographic.

I'll TAKE my vaca, thanks.

Remo 05-02-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1629696)
I can't imagine a job where an employee wouldn't HAVE TO TAKE every minute of every hour of paid time off
JUST to keep them from putting a gun in their mouth. I swear, I dug in my heels last year to get a third week
of vacation here, but I told them I wanted the time or I was going to have to have 365 days a year off.

THIS!!! Getting paid not to be at work.......:tu

kaisersozei 05-02-2012 12:02 PM

We don't have a PTO pay-out, but every year I get to make my United Way charitable donations by converting PTO hours to cash. I figure I won't miss the vacation time, so I usually convert 3-5 days or so.

mosesbotbol 05-02-2012 12:07 PM

It sounds illegal for them to pay you back your PTO at less than 100%. Those hours are compensation. I really don't think that is legal in MA, but YMMV in your state.

I would contact your attorney general before saying yes or no.

jluck 05-02-2012 12:11 PM

I sold back a week once. I just thought it was a good idea at the time I was building the new house, I thought the extra money would be good and I couldn't really get the time off I wanted as other people had the time scheduled up already. After taxes stole most of the money and the feeling of lost week off it was one of the stupidest things I have done.
Take the time off and enjoy it.:2

shilala 05-02-2012 12:18 PM

Take your vacation. Life is too short. The money doesn't mean dick if you're dead next week.
Spend time with family and friends. Go fishing. Work on the house. Clean your car. Come stay with me for a week and we'll build something. Go read or learn something you've always wanted to learn.
Honestly, work will always be there. The people you love won't.

CigarNut 05-02-2012 12:51 PM

I always use my vacation. Sometimes I borrow time (from the next year) just to get enough vacation. I always want more vacation.

I love my job -- I do, but I love my vacation time more.

Take the time off and go somewhere or do some projects around your home, go see movies, take day trips, or just fart around.

Jasonw560 05-02-2012 01:00 PM

We have (had) the same thing. PTO pay out at 90%. I used it once, it helped pay for some bills. With that said, if you don't have to, don't do it. Spend time away from work.