Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Cigargal 04-13-2009 05:13 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 333948)
Reading the whole Dark Tower series by Stephen King again. I think this'll be my 3rd time reading books 1-7 together.

So, is this good Stephen King?? We have the whole series at the library and I have never read it.

Darrell 04-13-2009 05:15 PM

I am reading the Amateur Magicians Handbook.

gettysburgfreak 04-13-2009 05:44 PM

taking a break from reading civil war books and am currently reading

The Rocket That Fell To Earth by Jeff Pearlman. Its about Roger Clemens and so far its a really good book. (Im on page 15)

maverickdrinker 04-13-2009 05:48 PM

Playboy

hotreds 04-13-2009 06:00 PM

Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message by Ravi Zacharias

Rockestone 04-13-2009 06:04 PM

The Sleeping Doll by Jeffrey Deaver

lightning9191 04-13-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickdrinker (Post 334785)
Playboy

Nice :r

I finally finished "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" and started "The Five People you Meet in Heaven"

4WheelVFR 04-13-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 334724)
So, is this good Stephen King?? We have the whole series at the library and I have never read it.

It's some of his best IMO. If you can make it through the first book, which can be boring/slow, you will really like it. I have mixed opinions about the last 3 books, but even with the mixed opinions, it's an awsome series. My other King favs are Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman and whatever the sequel was called, Rose Madder, 'Salem's Lot, and of course The Stand.

Cigargal 04-13-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR (Post 335253)
It's some of his best IMO. If you can make it through the first book, which can be boring/slow, you will really like it. I have mixed opinions about the last 3 books, but even with the mixed opinions, it's an awsome series. My other King favs are Eyes of the Dragon, The Talisman and whatever the sequel was called, Rose Madder, 'Salem's Lot, and of course The Stand.

It, The Stand and Gerald's Game are my favs. I have never gotten over that story of being handcuffed to the bed...and Gerald dropping dead-whoot!

lightning9191 04-17-2009 06:22 PM

I finished "The five people you meet in heaven" and have started "Black Mass" It's about the Irish mob in Boston and how them and the FBI got a little too close to each other.

Cigargal 04-17-2009 08:21 PM

After 200 pages of Savage Detectives I tossed it-piece of crap.

Reading Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner-excellent book!

bookman 04-17-2009 09:03 PM

Patricia Highsmith's This Sweet Sickness. I've read a dozen of her novels, and enjoy the non-Ripley books a lot. She can write about social misfits and the disenfranchinsed/morally corrup like no one else.

bookman 04-17-2009 09:06 PM

I think I've read 80% of King, agaisnt my better judgement. It's true, he needs an editor!!!! Duma Key was too long, too unfocused and there wan't any real payoff. It was like he tacked on the supernatural elements to an otherwise good yawn, er, yarn. Gave up on 4th part of Gunslinger. He seemed to be making it up as he went along to the detriment of story arcs and character. His next book coming out in Sept is about a Mane city that is covered by a dome. Um, Steve, seen the Simpsons movie recently...?

But like most fans of his "older, scarier" stuff, I stay with him hoping he'll surprise me.

Fumes 04-18-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 342674)
After 200 pages of Savage Detectives I tossed it-piece of crap.

You got further than I did. It reminds me of the half a dozen times I've tried to read Pynchon... except that Pynchon can really write. I just can't read him.

qwerty1500 04-18-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookman (Post 342731)
I think I've read 80% of King, agaisnt my better judgement. It's true, he needs an editor!!!! Duma Key was too long, too unfocused and there wan't any real payoff. It was like he tacked on the supernatural elements to an otherwise good yawn, er, yarn. Gave up on 4th part of Gunslinger. He seemed to be making it up as he went along to the detriment of story arcs and character. His next book coming out in Sept is about a Mane city that is covered by a dome. Um, Steve, seen the Simpsons movie recently...?

But like most fans of his "older, scarier" stuff, I stay with him hoping he'll surprise me.

I gave up on King a long time ago. Nevertheless, hope dies hard and I gave Duma Key a try. I finished it but totally agree ... it was nothing like his older, scarier stuff.

Currently reading "Spade and Archer" by Joe Gores. It's promoted as a prequel to the Maltese Falcon. Good thing it's a short book because. so far, Maltese Falcon it's not.

pnoon 04-18-2009 11:20 PM

Just finished The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver.
One of his best novels.

About to start Dead Aim by Iris Johansen

dentonparrots 04-20-2009 05:29 PM

The very best book I've ever read was called ADDICT by a guy named Stephen Smith; it's a true story about his growing up and getting addicted to amphetamines in the 60's in London as a result of being abused...he went on to take over 300,000 pills in hs life and his story is quite simply amazing. Very well written, funny, sad, emotional and witty all in one, almost like the film Shawshank Redemption in some ways and that's voted in many polls as the best film ever made.

Seek it out if you can, you'll not regret it..the best money you'll ever spend

RHNewfie 04-22-2009 04:51 PM

Millard J. Erickson's Christian Theology... just finished all 1253 pages of it!

VirtualSmitty 04-22-2009 07:27 PM

Just finished GJ Meyer's "A World Undone". Excellent read, burned through all 618 pages rather quick.

Starscream 04-22-2009 08:09 PM

Romeo and Juliet for the upteenth time.