Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Coffee Roasting (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76249)

tsolomon 01-20-2021 06:03 AM

Re: Coffee Roasting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2211842)
Yea, I looked it up last night. The Behmor will do up to a lb, but it’s better suited for 1/2lb batches. There’s tips/tricks you can do to roast larger batches.

I have a Behmor and only roast in 1/2lbs batches as it just works better that way. :cf2

Chainsaw13 01-20-2021 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsolomon (Post 2211899)
I have a Behmor and only roast in 1/2lbs batches as it just works better that way. :cf2

Do you have the original 1600, or the update 1600 Plus? Wondering if it’s worth updating to the Plus.

tsolomon 01-21-2021 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2211901)
Do you have the original 1600, or the update 1600 Plus? Wondering if it’s worth updating to the Plus.

I have the Behmor Plus, but looking to upgrade a roaster that might give me more control when roasting. Switching to manual mode has helped a lot with getting to 1st and 2nd crack as I prefer a darker roast most of the time.

Chainsaw13 01-21-2021 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsolomon (Post 2211979)
I have the Behmor Plus, but looking to upgrade a roaster that might give me more control when roasting. Switching to manual mode has helped a lot with getting to 1st and 2nd crack as I prefer a darker roast most of the time.

I was reading up on what the plus can do. I like the extra control it gives, but not sure it’s worth the extra $$$ for me to upgrade.

CigarSquid 01-22-2021 01:48 PM

I haven't got to roast any of my new beans yet... Dang life just keeps me busy... Maybe next week I can!

Chainsaw13 02-03-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 2212069)
I haven't got to roast any of my new beans yet... Dang life just keeps me busy... Maybe next week I can!

Any luck roasting yet?

CigarSquid 02-03-2021 10:14 AM

No sir, between life and the weather.. I haven't even hardly been outside my house other than work.

I need to as I am down to store bought ground coffee...that I have been using in my AeroPress.

Chainsaw13 02-03-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 2212841)
No sir, between life and the weather.. I haven't even hardly been outside my house other than work.

I need to as I am down to store bought ground coffee...that I have been using in my AeroPress.

You’ll get to it when you can. I’m out of the Brazilian I roasted a while back. Back to straight store bought Peruvian whole bean. Once that’s gone, I have a bag of store bought Colombian. I’ll get back to roasting soon myself.

CigarSquid 02-09-2021 03:59 PM

I finally roasted some coffee on Sunday, can't remember what kind at the moment, but I got it done!!

Chainsaw13 02-09-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 2213348)
I finally roasted some coffee on Sunday, can't remember what kind at the moment, but I got it done!!

Nice! Have you tried it yet? Should be done degassing. :pn

CigarSquid 02-10-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2213353)
Nice! Have you tried it yet? Should be done degassing. :pn

I have not yet. I actually had some I forgot I roasted back early in January that I am almost done with... Should be tasting the newer stuff by the weekend.

It sure smells good. I am trying to find the bag of what I roasted.

CigarSquid 12-29-2021 08:44 AM

For the Behmor roasters, you guys roast indoors at all? I really need something I can roast indoors without making a crazy mod to vent it outside.

markem 12-29-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 2227329)
For the Behmor roasters, you guys roast indoors at all? I really need something I can roast indoors without making a crazy mod to vent it outside.

I'm pretty sure that the Portland guys roast in the garage. Would that work for you? Noise, dust, and odor are a bit much, according to them. Me, I let others do the roasting and trade money or cigars for the finished product.

CigarSquid 12-29-2021 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2227330)
I'm pretty sure that the Portland guys roast in the garage. Would that work for you? Noise, dust, and odor are a bit much, according to them. Me, I let others do the roasting and trade money or cigars for the finished product.

If I had my garage, the Fresh Roast works good. Unfortunately, my garage is not accessible as my sister is living with me and using it for storage currently. if I had my garage back, it would sure solve a few hurdles I have right now.

Chainsaw13 12-29-2021 09:15 AM

I did when I had my Behmor. Roasted in the basement. Used a shop vac to clean up the chaff. Made the house smell like roasted coffee for a couple days. I live alone, so it didn’t bother me.

CigarSquid 12-29-2021 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 2227340)
I did when I had my Behmor. Roasted in the basement. Used a shop vac to clean up the chaff. Made the house smell like roasted coffee for a couple days. I live alone, so it didn’t bother me.

I don't mind the smell at all, just settling off an alarm is my main concern.

Chainsaw13 12-29-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garryyjr (Post 2227341)
I don't mind the smell at all, just settling off an alarm is my main concern.

Mine never went off. But it’s located on the ceiling leading up the stairs.

CigarSquid 12-29-2021 09:38 AM

I guess I can just pull the few I have.

I just want to get back to roasting...I am out of my coffee and soon will be buying store bought, ugh.

gravel 12-29-2021 10:27 AM

When I roasted, I set up my Behmor under our hood vent. When cooked, I vacuumed the chaff. My family didn’t mind the aroma of roasted coffee. As for the alarm, that is a problem. We pulled the one in the kitchen. I generally don’t produce enough smoke to set off the alarms in the other parts of the house. That said, I have set off the alarm in the hallways outside the bedrooms. That’s fun while roasting coffee late!

This took a back seat while I was in seminary. I haven’t returned to it as I’ve been ordering beans from Coava in Portland. Every two weeks we receive 1 day delivery of beans roasted within 2-3 days of delivery. It would be cheaper to order from Sweet Maria’s and roast my own, but I have enough projects to complete. This is one less thing I need to do for now.

I’ll get back to it eventually!

CigarSquid 12-29-2021 10:38 AM

My hood vent doesn't vent outside, just blows air around.