Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   One food that you will never eat is... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5422)

csbrewfisher 12-03-2008 01:21 PM

One food that you will never eat is...

...balut. This horrid abomination (which I'm certain many of you will promote as delicious) is the Philippine national delicacy. It's a fully developed duck egg (17-18 days old) that has been boiled. I saw these years ago in Subic Bay when I was in the Navy. The bars all sell them.
:pu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...50px-BALUT.jpg

Running a close second would be the "century egg", also asian and also wretched. Basically, it's an egg that has been preserved in alkaline for much too long of a time (in this case, any time would be too long). It turns to gray-green gelatin that reeks of ammonia and sulphur. Can you say good eats? NOT!
:pu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iced_open.jpeg

Ace$nyper 12-03-2008 01:23 PM

Re: One food that you will never eat is...

Black pudding/Blutwurst

landhoney 12-03-2008 01:28 PM

..any part of an animal that is used for reproduction.

white_s2k 12-03-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhoney (Post 98689)
..any part of an animal that is used for reproduction.

:tpd: :pu

csbrewfisher 12-03-2008 01:31 PM

this thread is useless w/o pictures

ucla695 12-03-2008 01:35 PM

Balut would definitely top my list, but since you already mentioned it, I’ll go with anything that is still squirming or moving when it’s served to me. Let’s take octopus for instance. There are some Korean restaurants in L.A. that serve fresh cut-up tentacles that are still moving when it’s served. If that’s not bad enough, the server will warn you to watch out of the suction cups because they are still active and can cause you to choke/asphyxiate if one gets caught in the back of your throat. Check out this video and you’ll get the point

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/l...-angeles6sep07

Another thing would be a beating cobra’s heart. That’s just plain disgusting.

Oh, pretty much that Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods eats is on my list. :D

High 5 12-03-2008 01:41 PM

Like the one cannibal said to the other "No humans for me anymore, mate. I have seen how they are made..."

landhoney 12-03-2008 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla695 (Post 98709)
Oh, pretty much that Andrew Zimmern on Bizarre Foods eats is on my list. :D

:tpd: I would not eat most of the things he does on that show....but I still LOVE to watch it. I find it extremely interesting to see the weird foods people eat around the world.

ucla695 12-03-2008 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhoney (Post 98735)
:tpd: I would not eat most of the things he does on that show....but I still LOVE to watch it. I find it extremely interesting to see the weird foods people eat around the world.

Great show for sure. I got a kick out of the few times he wasn’t able to eat something (Stinky Tofu hamburger in Taiwan and that really stinky fruit called durian)

Mugen910 12-03-2008 01:55 PM

hahah Go to any asian market for duck/chicken eggs...I personally don't like the taste but to each his own...Same goes for Durian...I really don't like coagulated pig blood...:pu I have no idea why we put it in our soups!!!

Demented 12-03-2008 02:15 PM

Balut:pu that would be the one. Reminds me of Masisi Blvd and Olongapo.

Tio Gato 12-03-2008 02:39 PM

I saw Anthony Bourdain in Africa, (the show) he was with the Bushmen and they killed a wild hog. They tore out the large intestine, squeezed out what was inside and roasted it over open flame. They did not wash it at all.
They ate it next to the pile of dung they squeezed out of the pig.
I think that is where I would draw the line.
Tony described it as "hot roasted poop chute".

I like to think that I'll try anything once, but those big honking white crubs that Andrew Zimmerman eats really turn me off. I'm pretty sure I could not eat those. He is the man.:pu

taltos 12-03-2008 03:10 PM

Liver makes my list as does lutefisk (fish poached in lye).

LasciviousXXX 12-03-2008 03:15 PM

Mmmm I love me some good goose liver. Nothing better in the world than foie gras IMO

TonySmith 12-03-2008 03:43 PM

I wouldn't eat any of the items mentioned in this thread. Not mentioned yet, but I wouldn't eat monkey brains (or any other brains) either

Ace$nyper 12-03-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySmith (Post 99025)
I wouldn't eat any of the items mentioned in this thread. Not mentioned yet, but I wouldn't eat monkey brains (or any other brains) either

Really?

I plan on eating a monkey, there by gaining it's powers.
Joking aside I do want to do the live monkey brain thing, cause it's just so.... wild.

For the record I've tried the blutwurst/black pudding before and it's awful. Think, if you ever bit your tounge really hard, flavor that with a gross bran meal..

ucla695 12-03-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySmith (Post 99025)

I've eaten sesos tacos (cow brains) before in East L.A. They weren't bad once you got over the texture and the fact that, well, they look like brains. Been there, done that, so need to eat them again. :D

fxpose 12-03-2008 06:30 PM

Natto- fermented soy beans.

qwerty1500 12-04-2008 08:05 AM

Pickled beets ... don't know why but I can't even stand the smell of them.

icehog3 12-04-2008 08:12 AM

McDonalds. ;)