Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Speaking of Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3661)

perogee 11-07-2008 09:40 PM

Speaking of Good Eats

Do we have any other fans of Alton Brown here? :)

LasciviousXXX 11-07-2008 10:34 PM

Re: Speaking of Good Eats

My wife watches his show all the time. In fact I think one of our illustrious 11 is a fan (not sure which one of us named this particular sub-forum though).

I like his new travel show as well. It reminds me of Anthony Bourdain's show

Sanitariumite 11-08-2008 12:35 AM

I'm a big fan. His humor's a bit... Quirky... But the show itself is quite worth watching. I've always been a fan of science, so I appreciate the explanations as to why things happen the way they do, why to use certain ingredients over others, etc. More than anything, his show's truly something different, and in a good way.

leasingthisspace 11-08-2008 01:23 AM

I love the show.

Guitarman-S.T- 11-08-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace (Post 57836)
I love the show.

:salute: ya damn right- smart guys, and gives information in an interesting manor

drevim 11-08-2008 03:02 AM

Don't think there is an episode I haven't seen...about 10 times ;)

Got a couple of his cookbooks as well. He does a damn good Flank Steak rub. For those who have been to the Shack, it's not Sam's, but it's as close as I've been able to get.

His humor is an aquired taste, but he does grow on you, and it's not the "cooking in front of an audience" show like so many others are.

Plus, he did invent the oven-cam, fridge-cam, microwave-cam.....:D

taltos 11-08-2008 03:52 AM

I hated him at first and would go to another tv set when my wife was watching him. Now I am a huge fan of his. I think that I have all of his episodes made prior to this season with the exception of the 1 hour behind the scenes episode where he introduced some of the recurring characters from the show. I am thinking that I will buy the commercial dvd's of previous seasons.

:eevis 11-08-2008 06:30 AM

Yup, huge fan, not so much of Good Eats anymore but I love the "Feasting On.." series. But it was Good Eats that got me into enjoying cooking more, now I can't stop. Love him on Iron Chef too

md4958 11-08-2008 07:05 AM

HUGE FAN!! I tivo all the new shows.

Hes like Mr Wizard (one of my favorites as kids) meets Emeril (who annoys me btw)

and most of his recipes are damn good too!

Oh, and I love Giada.. met her twice... she is so damn sexy and better looking in person.

massphatness 11-08-2008 07:27 AM

Love Alton Brown.

And any discussion of Giada is going to get me in trouble with my better half. :D

replicant_argent 11-08-2008 07:32 AM

Fan of both AB's, Brown and Bourdain.
While I rarely use recipes, I do try to cook, and eat with a more gastronomic view, and attitude. Thinking about how I cook, and why and sometimes why not? is an interesting tack. While I sometimes look at food as just fuel, I try to remind myself that food is to be enjoyed and remembered sometimes. Cooking and eating can be entertainment in itself.

Mark C 11-08-2008 07:43 AM

Been a fan for a few years now. I've got a chemistry background so the food science really speaks to the nerd in me. My biggest regret from college is that I didn't discover the food science department until my senior year. I really enjoyed Feasting on Waves, I love caribbean food, but it's awful hard to come by here in MD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 58000)
And any discussion of Giada is going to get me in trouble with my better half. :D

My better half rolls her eyes whenever I mention Giada (I even suggested it as a name for our baby before we found out it was a boy), but she let's me dream :D

gnukfu 11-08-2008 08:21 AM

Yep, being an engineer the food science aspect is very interesting.

Demented 11-08-2008 08:46 AM

Good eats and Molto Mario are the only cooking shows I care for.

I want to learn how to make it and cook it, and why we cook it that way.

About ingredients and why we use them the way we do.

Not interested in recipes.

jitzy 11-08-2008 09:00 AM

love the show I've made a lot of his recipies

perogee 11-08-2008 09:03 AM

Alton Brown, Anthony Bourdain and Mario Batali are my favourite tv hosts. They all make what they do very interesting, in different ways :) (Bourdain is so cynical at times I cannot help but laugh).

Darrell 11-08-2008 11:40 AM

I don't like Alton Brown. I find him annoying. I enjoy the information which is presented, just not the presenter. :2

shaggy 11-08-2008 11:45 AM

i love him on his own shows but dont really care for him on iron chef. btw...he did a show on 'pop up biscuits'...anyone got a link to it or anything...i wanna try them

md4958 11-08-2008 11:46 AM

when you say pop up biscuits do you mean buttermilk biscuits? if so, i have tried his recipe and they were awesome

md4958 11-08-2008 11:48 AM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

you have to be gentle when handling the dough, it really makes a difference in tenderness