Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1753)

N2Advnture 10-20-2008 12:29 PM

Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Have a question regarding n/c cigars?

Ask it here and someone will be along to answer it shorty :tu

~Mark

SmokinApe 10-20-2008 12:53 PM

Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Does a fancier label make the cigar taste better? :ss

pnoon 10-20-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22672)

:confused:
Why clutter up a perfectly legitimate cigar related thread with an attempt at humor?

zemekone 10-20-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22672)

Of course it does! All the opus x and diamond crown maximus taste good cuz of the gold foil...

Come on now?

SmokinApe 10-20-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 22676)
:confused:
Why clutter up a perfectly legitimate cigar related thread with an attempt at humor?

I thought it was inline with the culture of the forum... My apologies to the OP...

ahc4353 10-20-2008 01:09 PM

OK here is something that I am embarrassed to ask but what the heck.

Why do we "toast" the foot?

Al walks away in shame of not knowing this after all these years..........

pnoon 10-20-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22703)
I thought it was inline with the culture of the forum... My apologies to the OP...

Not so much as to the where as to the when. No doubt we are a fun loving group of inmates. But there is a time and place for humor. When tangential posts and humor are injected into threads that are meant to be informative, it makes reading them and finding the true value more difficult.

I certainly don't want to curtail any fun or humor.

Just my :2

kaisersozei 10-20-2008 01:20 PM

Not to jump ahead of Al, but I have a question, too.

I read "somewhere" about "someone's" :D misadventure with having his cigars stuck up someone else's nose. Common courtesy aside (i.e., asking permission to do it, first of all...) I've seen brothers (some here, that I respect) do the same thing. That is: put the foot of a cigar in their nostril and inhale deeply. In the misadventure above, the guy indicated it was to detect ammonia. Is that what you're trying to detect in that process? Or is it the general "pre-light aroma?"

pnoon 10-20-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 22732)
Not to jump ahead of Al, but I have a question, too.

I read "somewhere" about "someone's" :D misadventure with having his cigars stuck up someone else's nose. Common courtesy aside (i.e., asking permission to do it, first of all...) I've seen brothers (some here, that I respect) do the same thing. That is: put the foot of a cigar in their nostril and inhale deeply. In the misadventure above, the guy indicated it was to detect ammonia. Is that what you're trying to detect in that process? Or is it the general "pre-light aroma?"

For me, it is pre-light aroma. And I certainly don't stick the cigar IN my nostril. And if its not my stick, it doesn't touch my nose at all.

renton20 10-20-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 22712)

My understanding is that by toasting the foot it is easier to ensure an even burn throughout the cigar.

Langod 10-20-2008 02:19 PM

Can someone give me a basic understanding of wraps? What are the flavor differences between Connecticut, Maduro, Natural, etc?

Plus, how does a different wrap generally change the flavor of a given cigar? To use a current popular cigar as an example -- the new special edition Oliva serie V Maduro. The wrap is the biggest difference between it and the "regular" Serie V, correct? How does that change the flavor profile?

FriskyDingo 10-20-2008 03:48 PM

Here's a quick link that describes a few flavors you may pick up from different wrappers.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/06/192227.php

Since everyone's palate is different, one's flavor pick up of cherry is anothers licorice.
The wrapper on a cigar is sometimes said to provide up to 60% of the flavor. Your example of the Oliva V Maduro is excellent since it's basically the same as the regular V. With a 60% change in flavor due to the wrapper, it's almost like smoking a completely different cigar.
La Aurora did a run of the 1495 series called the connoisseur collection that provided the same filler with 4 different wrappers (Connecticut, Cameroon, Brazil and Corojo). Each providing a completely different smoking experience.

-Evan

SteveDMatt 10-20-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 22712)

Quote:

Originally Posted by renton20 (Post 22740)
My understanding is that by toasting the foot it is easier to ensure an even burn throughout the cigar.

I agree. Also, when you attempt to light a cigar by drawing on it, it seems to be bitter, like and overheated cigar (ex. smoking too quickly). I feel that by toasting the end, you get a cooler, smoother smoke and a more even burn throughout.

Timbers 10-21-2008 06:22 AM

I figured this would be as good a first post as any:ss

I am currently browsing cigarsinternational.com, and have my eyes on some cigars to try out for the first time. In my cart are a 5-pack or CAO MX2's and another 5-pack of Rocky Patel Fusions. Any other suggestions (top one or two for the beginner) as to which cigars would be wise in which to invest?

Also, I need a cutter and a lighter. I am set on the lighter, but am confused as to which type of cutter to get. I see more guillotines floating around than any other type, which would make it seem to me as though they are the most widely bought. Are there any issues with specific cutters regarding the condition of the cigar once cut?

Thank you in advance for the input!

Coz77 10-21-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbers (Post 24295)
I figured this would be as good a first post as any:ss

I am currently browsing cigarsinternational.com, and have my eyes on some cigars to try out for the first time. In my cart are a 5-pack or CAO MX2's and another 5-pack of Rocky Patel Fusions. Any other suggestions (top one or two for the beginner) as to which cigars would be wise in which to invest?

Check out Famous too...They have a buy 2 five packs get one free deal thats pretty sweet. Might save you a few bucks :)

Sancho Panza (double mad..I prefer the extra fuerte though)
Oliva (G's maduro and nat)
Padron (x000 series)
Hoyo de Monterry (dark sumatra)
Punch

All great cigars for beginners and veterans alike :ss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbers (Post 24295)
Also, I need a cutter and a lighter. I am set on the lighter, but am confused as to which type of cutter to get. I see more guillotines floating around than any other type, which would make it seem to me as though they are the most widely bought. Are there any issues with specific cutters regarding the condition of the cigar once cut?

Thank you in advance for the input!

Im not sure what lighter you're considering but save your cash and get a Ronson with some quality fuel.

Cutters...get a Xikar wolf 2 sized punch and a Palio cutter.

BlackIrish 10-21-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDMatt (Post 23042)
I agree. Also, when you attempt to light a cigar by drawing on it, it seems to be bitter, like and overheated cigar (ex. smoking too quickly). I feel that by toasting the end, you get a cooler, smoother smoke and a more even burn throughout.

SteveDMatt is a smart man. Toasting avoids overheating and gives a more even burn.

I've begun toasting the foot and blowing on it until I've got a good even cherry before I even take a draw. It makes for a much smoother smoke and a great burn. Try it.

BlackIrish

NCRadioMan 10-21-2008 03:03 PM

I never toast. Never found that it made a difference.

:2

BlackIrish 10-21-2008 03:07 PM

Great thread here that discusses these issues and more.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ed=1#post25523

N2Advnture 10-21-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIrish (Post 25511)
I've begun toasting the foot and blowing on it until I've got a good even cherry before I even take a draw. It makes for a much smoother smoke and a great burn. Try it.
BlackIrish

Exactly.

By creating an even light you create an even burn (unless there is something wrong with the smoke).

I hold the flame away from the foot as not to char it but let the heat of flame ignite the foot.

~Mark

Sauer Grapes 10-21-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 25531)
Exactly.

By creating an even light you create an even burn (unless there is something wrong with the smoke).

I hold the flame away from the foot as not to char it but let the heat of flame ignite the foot.

~Mark

I've always wondered this... even if the flame doesn't touch the foot, doesn't the heat "char" the foot when it starts off gassing before it ignites?

N2Advnture 10-21-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 25661)
I've always wondered this... even if the flame doesn't touch the foot, doesn't the heat "char" the foot when it starts off gassing before it ignites?

Not nearly as much as when the flame (torch) touches the foot directly :tu

ahc4353 10-29-2008 12:27 PM

As for draw, I have seen the term loose, please explain as I enjoy a really easy draw.

N2Advnture 10-29-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 41269)
As for draw, I have seen the term loose, please explain as I enjoy a really easy draw.

Loose & really easy are synonymous :tu

ahc4353 10-29-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 41272)
Loose & really easy are synonymous :tu

When I read the term loose for the first time it was as if the guy did not like it. Sounded like a complaint. Just wonder why a firmer draw would be liked. If I can get a mouthful of smoke by breathing it's perfect for me.

Thanks.

N2Advnture 10-29-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 41274)
When I read the term loose for the first time it was as if the guy did not like it. Sounded like a complaint. Just wonder why a firmer draw would be liked. If I can get a mouthful of smoke by breathing it's perfect for me.
Thanks.

Many (myself included) don't like a "loose" draw. A deliberate draw is more preferable (IMHO of course). A loose draw also typically indicates a degree of underfilling in the roll which tends not to age well since the tobacco shrinks as it ages. This creates an even looser draw down the road.

Additionally, I have found that a deliberate draw tends to create more subtle flavors because the loose draw tends to make for a hotter smoke (eg: faster burning).

I hope this helps

~Mark

DavenportESQ 10-29-2008 12:41 PM

Mark doesn't a loose draw also help the cigar heat up, and when the tobacco leaves get "too" hot they burn and disturb the actual flavor of the tobacco leaf?

ahc4353 10-29-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 41276)
Many (myself included) don't like a "loose" draw. A deliberate draw is more preferable (IMHO of course). A loose draw also typically indicates a degree of underfilling in the roll which tends not to age well since the tobacco shrinks as it ages. This creates an even looser draw down the road.

Additionally, I have found that a deliberate draw tends to create more subtle flavors because the loose draw tends to make for a hotter smoke (eg: faster burning).

I hope this helps

~Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to smoke with a guy that knows the difference so I can have a "feel" for what would be considered "to loose".

Thanks again for all the help.

N2Advnture 10-29-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavenportESQ (Post 41280)
Mark doesn't a loose draw also help the cigar heat up, and when the tobacco leaves get "too" hot they burn and disturb the actual flavor of the tobacco leaf?

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture

I agree :tu (That's what I was trying to say at the end of the sentence :))

DavenportESQ 10-29-2008 01:57 PM

I had heard this, but wasn't sure Thanks!

ahc4353 10-30-2008 02:08 PM

How about this one.

I have a cigar band that says Triple Fermented on it.

What does that mean?

N2Advnture 10-30-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 43146)
How about this one.
I have a cigar band that says Triple Fermented on it.
What does that mean?

Cigar tobacco is cured & fermented (and sometimes aged) after harvesting.

The objectives of fermentation are:

- To transform the majority of proteins into amino acids.
- To reduce the contents of nitrogenous substances.
- To eliminate starches and sugars totally.
- To diminish the contents of nicotine.
- To transform the chemical composition of the leaves.
- To oxidize some pigments.
- To cause the presence of dark colors in the leaf.
- To diminish the thickness of the leaf.
- To stimulate the reactions of oxidation.
- To contribute to the ulterior development of the aroma of the leaf.

This is done typically two times for most cigars. Cohiba is know of it's triple fermentation as well as others.

Your cigar label indicates that it went through 3 fermentations (no kidding, right :)).

Additionally, the "ammonia" or "sick period" that you sometimes get with cigars in the box is actually an additional 'mini' fermentation that they may go through.

I hope this helps

~Mark

Rabidsquirrel 10-30-2008 06:00 PM

How is a blend mixed? Do the blenders smoke leaves from a single batch or something similar to figure out what will go well with different crops?

N2Advnture 10-31-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel (Post 43542)
How is a blend mixed? Do the blenders smoke leaves from a single batch or something similar to figure out what will go well with different crops?

Once your reach a level 5 torcedor (or Torcedora for women), you are so familiar with the crop's selection and production that you can pretty much guess the results of the blend. With that said, they do "test" blends on new marcas / sizes prior to deciding the final blend.

Of course, as crops rotate the blends try to remain the same but the flavor profile would obviously change due to new crops & tobacco stains.

I hope this helps

~Mark

ahc4353 10-31-2008 05:34 AM

Mark,

Thank you for all the information. One last thing, are Cuban's done the same way?

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 43436)
Cigar tobacco is cured & fermented (and sometimes aged) after harvesting.

The objectives of fermentation are:

- To transform the majority of proteins into amino acids.
- To reduce the contents of nitrogenous substances.
- To eliminate starches and sugars totally.
- To diminish the contents of nicotine.
- To transform the chemical composition of the leaves.
- To oxidize some pigments.
- To cause the presence of dark colors in the leaf.
- To diminish the thickness of the leaf.
- To stimulate the reactions of oxidation.
- To contribute to the ulterior development of the aroma of the leaf.

This is done typically two times for most cigars. Cohiba is know of it's triple fermentation as well as others.

Your cigar label indicates that it went through 3 fermentations (no kidding, right :)).

Additionally, the "ammonia" or "sick period" that you sometimes get with cigars in the box is actually an additional 'mini' fermentation that they may go through.

I hope this helps

~Mark

N2Advnture 10-31-2008 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 44254)
Mark,
Thank you for all the information. One last thing, are Cuban's done the same way?

Actually, I was speaking to CC's but assume it's the same for NC's.

~Mark

Rabidsquirrel 10-31-2008 09:15 AM

Thanks.

ahc4353 10-31-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 44255)
Actually, I was speaking to CC's but assume it's the same for NC's.

~Mark

I have heard the term "forced fermented" for NC's any idea what this is?

bobarian 10-31-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 44539)
I have heard the term "forced fermented" for NC's any idea what this is?

Not positive, but I think this refers to the application of heat. Some maduro is "cooked" to get it to darken quicker than by natural fermentation.

N2Advnture 10-31-2008 11:49 AM

Correct but not sure if the "cooked" maduros is the same thing as "forced fermentation".

I know that heaters are in the fermentation sheds to help facility fermentation, sometimes referred to as "cooking".

Linus 11-02-2008 07:31 AM

Ok. I have a question: what's the significance of the different colours of ash? I've seen gray, brown/beige, white and black. I suspect there's a chemical reason for it but I was curious if anyone knows of a layman's definition of each.

tenbaseg 11-02-2008 08:12 AM

I've been evolving into quite the pepin whore. I love the red pepper/spice that comes with his blends.

This may be a dumb question, but what is so different about his cigars/tobacco that gives it that pepper flavor? I've picked up hints of spice in other cigars, but nothing quite as obvious as his blends.

smokeyscotch 11-02-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDMatt (Post 23042)

All the points that Steve quoted and his are accurate IMO. I also think there is a scientific side to toasting. If done correctly, it allows the tobacco to warm up at an even pace. This way it will accept a light more evenly. IMO, it is the opposite of putting a steak on a hot grill. The outside of the steak sears. I like my steaks seared, but not my cigars. On the emotional side, toasting allows me to settle in to the whole experience of the cigar. Just my :2.

smokeyscotch 11-02-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenbaseg (Post 47101)
I've been evolving into quite the pepin whore. I love the red pepper/spice that comes with his blends.

This may be a dumb question, but what is so different about his cigars/tobacco that gives it that pepper flavor? I've picked up hints of spice in other cigars, but nothing quite as obvious as his blends.

I talked with a tobacconist about this once. His explanation was that Pepin's rolling style as well as the tobacco adds to the flavor of his blends. "He [Pepin] rolls his cigars in the old Cuban style", he said. Which I understood to mean that they are rolled wet (fresh), then aged for a period, while others roll aged tobacco and age some more. I just took his word for it.

Linus 11-05-2008 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 47021)
Ok. I have a question: what's the significance of the different colours of ash? I've seen gray, brown/beige, white and black. I suspect there's a chemical reason for it but I was curious if anyone knows of a layman's definition of each.

Well, I've found the answer to my own question in a great YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RB5lP7yzs

jbonnefsc 11-11-2008 06:22 PM

I was wondering if I could get some questions answered on Herf Etiquette.

I will be attending my first this weekend in Tampa, FL and I'm wondering a few things...

It just seems strange, i guess, to show up at someone's house I've never met before. I'm very excited, but could you share your first herf story to give me an idea what to expect? Also, What sort of things to I bring? (A house warming gift for the Host?)

I'm a noob, but I want to try and blend in as best as possible...

Thanks!!!

chippewastud79 11-11-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonnefsc (Post 64301)
Also, What sort of things to I bring? (A house warming gift for the Host?)

Thanks!!!

I would say bring some smokes to share/trade, particularly something you like. Doesn't have to be a whole bunch of Opus X or something you go out an buy a box of just for the herf, but something you don't mind sharing with others that you really like and that others may not have tried. A gift for the host might be nice, perhaps a bottle of his favorite ripple, or a nice 5 pack.
Just my :2 but I am sure there are far more experienced herfers than I out there :tu

pnoon 11-11-2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 64316)
I would say bring some smokes to share, particularly something you like. Doesn't have to be a whole bunch of Opus X or anything, but something you don't mind sharing with others that they may not have tried. A gift for the host might be nice, perhaps a bottle of his favorite ripple, or a nice 5 pack.
Just my :2 but I am sure there are far more experienced herfers than I out there :tu

:tpd:
Relax and have fun.

kayaker 11-11-2008 06:38 PM

Here's a question for you about veins.

I have read reviews from fellow inmates with comments about there being no veins in the wrapper.

What constitutes a vein? All the various cigars I've tried have what I would call veins. Some are smaller than others.

Can you refer me to any photo comparisons?

Thanks,

Ian

Bobb 11-30-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 64353)
Here's a question for you about veins.

I have read reviews from fellow inmates with comments about there being no veins in the wrapper.

What constitutes a vein? All the various cigars I've tried have what I would call veins. Some are smaller than others.

Can you refer me to any photo comparisons?

Thanks,

Ian

Hey Ian!

I will do my best to explain what I mean by veins (this may be different from others.) I am not a botanist so I cannot tell you what causes the differences in leaves, but I have spent a good amount of time smoking and contemplating cigars so I can tell you what I have noticed in the smoke. Also, these pictures are ones I took a few minutes ago. I do not have a huge assortment here in Alaska, but I think I found a couple of good candidate for both scenarios (and yes I know they look a little dry. The interior of Alaska is very cold and VERY dry and my beads have not yet made their way up here. My folks should be sending them shortly :))

First of all...tobacco is a leaf, and leaves have veins, so every cigar you smoke will have SOME veins. I believe a cigar is labeled "veiny" or 'having little to no veins" depending on how large the veins are and whether or not they will affect the smoke.

Veiny:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...stuff/vain.jpg
These cigars have thick veins that feel rough to the touch (they may sometimes be like small twigs they are so thick.) I find that thick veins tend to affect the draw and burn of a cigar more than the taste; however, if you are constantly sucking hard on a stick to keep it lit, it will more than likely heat up on you and get bitter...so I guess it can affect taste somewhat. It also takes away from the aesthetic appeal of the smoke, which to most S/BOTL, adds to the overall enjoyment of a cigar.

Little to no veins:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...f/vainless.jpg
These cigars still have veins, but they are very thin and can barley be felt by running your fingers over them. When someone describes a cigar as being "silky" they are probably noticing the lack of thick veins. These cigars tend to burn more consistently and have fewer plugs.

Since there are three parts to a cigar, veins affect your smoking experience in different ways. Thick veins in the filler will more than likely affect the draw where thick veins in the wrapper/binder will probably affect the burn. Large/thick veins does not always mean it is a bad smoke. Sometimes the veins do nothing to a cigar other than make it look slightly less pretty.

I hope this helps. :D

jbonnefsc 12-07-2008 06:41 PM

Lately, some of the cigars I've smoked from my humidor have tunneled. What I mean is that the wrapper is burning slower than the filler and binder. What could cause this? The cigars have been different brands abd sizes. My humidty and temprature has been at 66 percent and 72 degrees. My humi is well stocked, a nearly full 50 count. Help me!
Posted via Mobile Device