Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Project of the Day : New Computer (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=44985)

shilala 04-25-2011 11:19 AM

Project of the Day : New Computer

I started building a new computer for myself a couple days ago. We've been super busy with the holiday and appointments and my "building shelves in the garage" project and stuff, so I've only gotten to beat on this thing for an hour here, an hour there.

At this point, I've jammed most of the components in her. Some of the brothers here were a big help picking out components, my shopping list is right here.
Basically, it's a six core AMD, 9.8TB, 16GB RAM, dual PSU monster in the sweetest full tower aluminum chassis I've ever seen. If I can't take over the world with this rig, it can't be taken over. Period.

Right now I'm daisy-chaining the two Corsair 650 watt PSU's together. The tower is too high to use a splice kit that's offered around the net, so I'm doing it by hand, soldering and heat shrinking all my wires. As soon as that's done, I can plug stuff together and see if she'll post.
If she does, then I'll spend hours managing the wires and making them look like something.

I had to take one of the 290mm fans out so the case would accept the second psu, which I'm not happy about, but it was overkill anyways. I may look at modding the case to get it back in there.

Anyways, here's a lousy pic of where I'm at right now. I'll post some decent ones when I get done-ish. :tu

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/a6744d74.jpg

shilala 04-25-2011 02:23 PM

Re: Project of the Day : New Computer

My wiring job worked, and admittedly, I was shocked. I just guessed at how to tie the two psu's together based on a picture of a jumper cable I saw online.
I'm trying to load an operating system on what might be a flaky hard drive right now. I guessed it wasn't really flaky because I found it's sata cable was broke.
Enough blah, I was just checking in and taking a break before I went nuts.

elderboy02 04-25-2011 02:32 PM

Ha ha. This is gonna be awesome! :tu

BTcigars 04-25-2011 02:33 PM

Now thats a puter! What are you going to use it for? Engineering? Model simulations?

J0eybb 04-25-2011 02:34 PM

Thats a lot of wires

shilala 04-25-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTcigars (Post 1245441)
What are you going to use it for?

The same thing I do every day, Pinky. :tu

J0eybb 04-25-2011 02:47 PM

Post on CA

shilala 04-25-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0eybb (Post 1245465)
Post on CA

Exactly. :tu

J0eybb 04-25-2011 03:28 PM

I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.

shilala 04-25-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0eybb (Post 1245504)
I'm not sure why a man needs 6 hdds, but I'll never question him about it.

If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though. :sh

CoreyD 04-25-2011 03:57 PM

Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?

Smokin Gator 04-25-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1245516)
I can probably tell you I was a lot happier with a newpaper, cup of coffee, and a cigarette. Times change, though. :sh

:r:r:r

Now that is funny... I feel your pain brother!!

shilala 04-25-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyD (Post 1245528)
Don't forget room for the huge a.. coolent driven graphics card for gaming.
Looks great though. Does it glow?

Nope. I'm too old for blue lights and OC'ing anymore. I certainly don't have time for COD anymore, either. That's good though, I'd rather build stuff in the shop and get hurt and things like that. It's way more fun. :tu

BTcigars 04-25-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1245459)
The same thing I do every day, Pinky. :tu

That post is a total win!:r

shilala 04-25-2011 06:18 PM

It's giving me a headache installing my OS. Halts after loading files and giving me the starting up message. I'm tired and ready to hit the sack soon. I've tried lots of options insisting it can't possibly be a bad install disc, but that may be the case. I have a few onboard video bios options I can still try, but it ain't going anywhere. I'll get her tomorrow. :tu

lostark374 04-25-2011 06:47 PM

make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.

lostark374 04-25-2011 06:53 PM

also if its your install disc you can download a new one since you own a key.

RGD. 04-25-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostark374 (Post 1245707)
make sure you have the latest bios flashed to your mainboard and try stripping it to the bare essentials and install the os then add all the other drives and cards and such.

Yep - I would disconnect all of the hard drives, except your main "c" drive. Reconnect them after the OS is installed.

Ron

swh127 04-25-2011 07:53 PM

If you have any issues, try the forums over at Tom's hardware. They have a great site devoted to build your own pc's

JE3146 04-25-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1245516)
If you're serving media to the whole house, storing video, music, pics, etc, it takes no time at all to load up 10TB. This bluray thing makes it even worse.
What is probably the biggest space waster is having the movies, then the divx files (so you can get lots of movies on a single dvd), then the same movie in mp4 format for ipods and the like.
So there's a real simple, everyday reason why a guy would use 6 hdd's. There's lots of others, such as editing large raw hdr files, any kind of video production at all, blah, blah, blah.

I have 14TB on my HTPC... a friend of mine has 26TB on his central media server.

To add to what you said.... You run out of space real quick with blu-rays backups for XBMC, tv shows on RSS feed and FLAC audio.

As it stands I literally have less than half a TB left of space.

Interesting choice with the dual PSU setup :)