Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bid Site Strategies (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64491)

Robulous78 12-09-2013 10:38 PM

Bid Site Strategies

Well, We all knew it wouldn't be too much longer before I came up with another poll... :lr

When using bid sites, do you typically bid early and set your reserve to your max? or are you more the type to wait and cherry pick deals toward the closing minute?

Opinions appreciated, and Merry Christmas!!!

Rob

MrClean 12-09-2013 10:42 PM

Re: Bid Site Strategies

I don't use them as much as I used to, but when I did, I'd set my max and just walk away. That way, I figured, I was minimizing my chances of spending more than I wanted on something. I didn't win many but didn't regret too many 'wins'. :D

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 12-09-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrClean (Post 1907830)
I don't use them as much as I used to, but when I did, I'd set my max and just walk away. That way, I figured, I was minimizing my chances of spending more than I wanted on something. I didn't win many but didn't regret too many 'wins'. :D

:tpd:

I always compare to other online retailers and have a price in mind before I bid on something.

Weelok 12-10-2013 02:45 AM

I cherry picked but I haven't used them in two years.

longknocker 12-10-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX (Post 1907831)

I always compare to other online retailers and have a price in mind before I bid on something.

:tu Same Here.

bighairlogo 12-10-2013 04:01 AM

I do both

Heavy_d 12-10-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Leaf_PDX (Post 1907831)

This.

Porch Dweller 12-10-2013 05:37 AM

I do both, but mostly the first choice. I check out the retail price then choose what I consider a fair offer and use that as my reserve. If it wins, good, if not, try again.

For folks that are new to the auction sites: most of the items are recurring offers. So don't feel like you have to win the item you're bidding on or you'll never get that chance again. Set your reserve, stick to it, and if you don't win check back in a couple of days and you'll usually see the item listed again.

cjhalbrooks 12-10-2013 05:41 AM

I check the price on other sites. Find the cost for shipping/ cost of fiver (if I have to do math cool) I also look to see if I can find them on other bid site and see what peaple are bidding on there. It has worked so far. I have only overpaid once. And that was my first time.

Subvet642 12-10-2013 06:28 AM

I'm a sniper.:gn If I'm gonna bid on something, it's because I want it.

Dude Here 12-10-2013 07:26 AM

I'll do both. Like others here have said, I'll research the price of the item on other sites then set my reserve at a fair price. If it wins, great. If not, that's fine too, saves me some money. From time to time though I'll check the list of closing lots and if there's a really good deal ending soon I'll do some sniping.

One tip I can give is to place bids or do your sniping on holidays. I recently won a box of Genesis the Project torpedoes for 30+ dollars less than online retail by bidding on Thanksgiving. I figured that most folks would be tied up with their families, dinner and football to pay much attention to cigar auctions.

cjhalbrooks 12-10-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude Here (Post 1907881)
One tip I can give is to place bids or do your sniping on holidays. I recently won a box of Genesis the Project torpedoes for 30+ dollars less than online retail by bidding on Thanksgiving. I figured that most folks would be tied up with their families, dinner and football to pay much attention to cigar auctions.

:tu

Taki 12-10-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks (Post 1907884)
:tu

Agreed!! I won two Palio's last year around Thanksgiving for $10 bucks each!!! All because people were more involved in the Holiday, which worked great for me!

Lockspur 12-10-2013 08:58 AM

Something I like but am not bothered if I miss it…I will compare retail prices and set accordingly. If it's something I must have, I will snipe like no tomorrow.

czerbe 12-10-2013 09:55 AM

If there is something I want I will wait around till closing time and see if I'm willing to pay out the cash... I don't chase thats just a way to end up broke. Which reminds me... Bid site huh? :lv

big_jaygee 12-10-2013 10:44 AM

i bid 50% of what my b&m charges and see how that holds up...if it gets beat and depending on how bad i want them, i will bid again...but only at the last minute and snipe the hell out of it :tu

Robulous78 12-11-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude Here (Post 1907881)

Dude, Brilliant...

If only I had that idea a few weeks back... :fp

cjhalbrooks 12-12-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robulous78 (Post 1908605)
Dude, Brilliant...

If only I had that idea a few weeks back... :fp

um christmas is like 13 days away :sl

massphatness 12-12-2013 04:49 AM

I'm usually only motivated to bid on items I really want, and if I really want it, I will arrange to be online at auction end to snipe the item provided the price is right.

emopunker2004 12-12-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrclean (Post 1907830)
i don't use them as much as i used to, but when i did, i'd set my max and just walk away. That way, i figured, i was minimizing my chances of spending more than i wanted on something. I didn't win many but didn't regret too many 'wins'. :d

this