Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pipe lighter (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67125)

equetefue 07-09-2014 07:37 AM

Pipe lighter

Guys, need your expertise.

I've been enjoying the pipe more and more, but i'm tired of trying to get it lit on those windy days with wood matches.

Could you guys recommend me a fine pipe lighter?

Thanks

jpb437 07-09-2014 08:22 AM

Re: Pipe lighter

I know two solutions I have tried and liked, but do not own. First the Colibri Connaught II. It's a little spendy at $50 but it felt solid. I have only used one on two occasions. Also a cheaper solution is a zippo butane insert from amazon. Sorry don't know which brand it was but I'll follow up when I get back to work. I have a coworker who uses this daily. I don't smoke pipe often but they were both great solutions when I couldn't get matches to work in windy Colorado Springs.

mhailey 07-09-2014 09:53 AM

Old Boy pipe lighter. Expensive, but a one time purchase.

Zanaspus 07-09-2014 12:11 PM

A shameful admission;

I've owned at least one of each of the usual suspects. Upon becoming old, lazy and crotchety, I've settled on Bics, yes, bics.

jsnake 07-09-2014 12:30 PM

XIKAR Resource lighter is what I use. Has all your pipe tools built in and I think has a great price. This is a soft flame and works great.

https://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/resource/

They also have a torch called Pipeline but I have never tried it. I like the soft flame or matches for my pipe. I have never tried any others.

CRIMPS 07-09-2014 05:17 PM

+1 for the Xikar Resource. My wife bought it for me. Love it.

DMK 07-09-2014 05:34 PM

I have the zippo pipe lighter and the XIKAR pipeline.
Love the pipeline!

fid 07-09-2014 05:55 PM

Nimrod Commander or Nimrod Sportsman. Both long out of production but available on ebay. The Commander blow the Zippo out of the water.

emopunker2004 07-09-2014 06:51 PM

Zippo with a vector butane pipe insert.

Nick 09-02-2014 11:02 AM

Not sure if they are in production still but ive had a pipe majie for about four years and its excellent.

RevSmoke 09-02-2014 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhailey (Post 1973092)
Old Boy pipe lighter. Expensive, but a one time purchase.

I have owned mine for over 20 years and it works flawlessly. Excellent pipe equipment. Got one for my son a year ago and cannot tell the difference (other than mine has a few scratches on it. I did send it in once, but it was a while back and I do not remember why. They fixed and sent it back to me, I only paid my postage to them.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

TXSmokey 09-02-2014 12:12 PM

I have a xikar pipeline, I've had it for 4 years and no problems. the resource and scribe both look to be good lighters too.

badbriar 09-26-2014 02:56 PM

For a good, refillable little pipe lighter under $20, look at Smoking Pipes at the IMCO pipe lighter. Have two over a yes\ar old, going strong!

OnePyroTec 09-26-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpb437 (Post 1973069)
Colibri Connaught II. It's a little spendy

I fully agree. I own a tortoise lacquer & polished gold finish for pipes, and a triple torch Colibri for my cigars. Your mileage may vary, they are worth every penny for me. :2

ApexAZ 09-26-2014 09:58 PM

I ordered a zippo and a butane insert. The zippo has arrived, but I'm still waiting on the insert. I decided to try the regular zippo wick insert, since I've read some people use them. Terrible mistake. All I taste is lighter fluid. Yuck.

WaRevo 09-26-2014 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1989029)
I ordered a zippo and a butane insert. The zippo has arrived, but I'm still waiting on the insert. I decided to try the regular zippo wick insert, since I've read some people use them. Terrible mistake. All I taste is lighter fluid. Yuck.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your New Zippo as a Pipe lighter. I have 2 Zippo's and love them. One is a Pipe lighter with a hole made to let you use it side ways with a little pipe diagram on the case. The other one is just the old standard Zippo. I have used them both to light my pipes and I haven't ever had an issue with fluid taste. What type of fluid are you using? I only use Zippo in my pipe one and I have used both Zippo and Ronsonol fluid again haven't had any odd taste from them.

James

rr_coyote 10-16-2014 04:54 PM

I use either a Zippo pipe lighter, or use it with a butane insert.
I never got a funky taste with the lighter fluid. I just never used it enough. I had to refill it almost every time I smoked.

ApexAZ 10-16-2014 08:31 PM

Man, all I taste is zippo fluid. My butane insert came in DOA. I bought a couple of the IMCO G77r and have been happy with those. They get the job done.

The.Sheepdog 12-08-2014 12:07 PM

Colibri Firebird, Black Ops tripple flame blackout, Ever tech triple flame, Xikar executive, Vertigo dual flame. so far!

badbriar 12-23-2014 10:43 PM

Recently saw some really good buys on Cigar Bandits site. Dual flames for under $20