Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Tin vs Bulk (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70037)

Twotacotuesday 08-06-2015 11:24 PM

Tin vs Bulk

I was on pipesandcigars.com looking at some dunhill nightcap. I saw they sell 1.75oz tins for $9 and change. On the same site, you can get the same stuff for $3 per oz. So why would one pay $9 for 1.75oz when they can get 3oz for the same price? Am i missing something?

jsnake 08-07-2015 01:16 AM

Re: Tin vs Bulk

Convienance? Sealed and packaged where bulk you have to smoke fast or get your own storage because personally I wouldn't keep it in a baggie too long. Tin keeps it fresh unil you crack it open so it makes storing in the cellar easy. Stack those tins. Most of what I like is seasonal and in tins not bulk. Probably would go bulk and get myself some larger mason jars if they had that option though.

Subvet642 08-07-2015 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twotacotuesday (Post 2047871)
I was on pipesandcigars.com looking at some dunhill nightcap. I saw they sell 1.75oz tins for $9 and change. On the same site, you can get the same stuff for $3 per oz. So why would one pay $9 for 1.75oz when they can get 3oz for the same price? Am i missing something?

At that price, get a couple of mason jars for storage. I use these, also:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261807737028...84.m1438.l2649

nutcracker 08-07-2015 04:27 AM

Quote:

Yep - propylene glycol.

The Poet 08-07-2015 07:14 AM

Tin has super-speed and high-tech weapons, but The Bulk has super-strength and his rapid healing factor. So Tin vs. Bulk would be one hell of a fight.

The.Sheepdog 08-07-2015 09:19 AM

I get mostly bulk unless something I want to try comes in tins only. I find that putting the bags in an extra cigar humidor does just fine. Most of the stuff I get is too wet anyway.

RevSmoke 08-07-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Why buy the tin? Tobacco ages (just like fine wine) in a controlled environment - that is - no new air added to it once it is sealed. Just like wine with higher tannin ages better, so Virginias age the best. But, even an English like Nighcap gets better with age.

Of course, you might be able to get similar/or even the same aging benefits by sealing up the bulk tobacco in mason jars. But again, once they are sealed, they need to remain that way.

This might raise the question of, why the higher cost for the tinned version? Take a pound of tobacco, put it in a plastic or mylar bag and seal it up. OR... measure out 1.75 ounces (by the way, 2 grams), and then factor in the tin and all the stuff (if you have ever seen what is in the tin, there is a specific paper, nicely folded that the tobacco goes into, as that is folded back over the top, there is a special type "cardboard" that goes between the tobacco, the over-the-top-folds, and then then tin cover.

Simply put, tinning tobacco has much greater overhead costs that show up in the overall price per tin.

Personally, I like to jar my own - unless I can find a special deal on certain tins, then they are definitely worth it.

Hope this helps.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Col. Kurtz 08-07-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 2047883)
Yep - propylene glycol.

So, is the bulk sprayed with pg?

The.Sheepdog 08-08-2015 10:19 AM

All the bulk I have gotten in was wet with something. PG or swamp water I dont know. It did evaporate fairly quickly with a day or two of open bag time or an overnight in the fridge. As for tins, Mac Barens Scottish Blend is the only tin tobac I have received so far that was not moist as all getout. Granted I like aromatics so that may be why?

Twotacotuesday 08-13-2015 10:42 PM

Thanks everyone