Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Social Networking, Do You? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55357)

shilala 04-29-2012 12:26 PM

Social Networking, Do You?

I've been goaded into Facebooking and Myspacing and get invites for regular "fresh, new social networking sites" on a regular basis.
I don't do any of them anymore, haven't for a long time. I really like being off the grid, and not getting umpteen emails a day because someone wants carrots for their virtual garden.
Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with any of it. My kids get entirely too immersed to the point of being zombies, but it's a great way for families to stay connected over long distances. It's a great way to keep in touch with friends and make new serial killer friends. ;)
I just like my privacy, and can keep in touch other ways without so many prying eyes. I know I can make myself nearly invisible on Facebook, but it still doesn't do it for me.
I don't mind sharing here because I've met such a large portion of people here and have become friends with so many others. Peter and Tom and the rest of the ToE keep good watch over our home here and it's comfortable.

I just wondered how many others enjoy social networking versus maintaining their privacy and anonymity?
What are your thoughts?
What do you think are the upsides vs. the downsides (if you think there are any of either)?

The poll assumes that messageboards are not "social networking" sites, or at least not in the same vein as Facebook, etc.
Yes, I realize the similarities. :)

T.G 04-29-2012 12:31 PM

Re: Social Networking, Do You?

A/S/L?

oooo35980 04-29-2012 01:03 PM

I use it to keep up with people, It took me a while to get the settings right. Once you hide all the Farmvile and Cityville people from your newsfeed, along with people that use it like a diary, it is much less annoying. I don't even carry a cell phone most of the time because I don't like for people to be able to call me when I'm out and I have never seen facebook as compromising my Privacy or Annonimity. Except when my wife posts every little detail of our lives, but that's her fault not Facebook's.

VirtualSmitty 04-29-2012 01:06 PM

Nope. I rather enjoy the strange looks I get when I tell people I don't have a Facebook book :r

Ogre 04-29-2012 02:31 PM

Used mostly for keeping in contact with friends and family.

shilala 04-29-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 1627292)
Nope. I rather enjoy the strange looks I get when I tell people I don't have a Facebook book :r

I generally call it MyFace. I tell everyone I don't understand that MyFace stuff. :)

Salvelinus 04-29-2012 03:05 PM

I use it to keep in contact with friends that are a good distance from me, as well as setting up group gatherings. It's way easier than email for getting a group of like minded individuals together. Settings are key. I hope I've got it set up so that people can't find or see me that I don't want to.

I also have a strict 1 annoying news post rule for people I don't generally associate with. 1 annoying post and they are kicked off my feed.

pektel 04-29-2012 03:08 PM

I use it for keeping up with new/old friends.

And stalking exes.

J/K :r

Seriously though. As long as you don't "like" everything under the sun, keep all your sh*t to "private," and dont download any apps, you're good.

Social networking is getting crazy. I've seen rumors of a "Facebook score". Kind of a data gathering program that people can use to determine seating arrangements on planes and such. Wonder where they will draw the line. Sorry, but I won't take the mark of the beast.

Hooligan 04-29-2012 03:15 PM

Yes, a lot. I mainly use it to keep in touch with old friends since moving from VA.

RobR1205 04-29-2012 03:35 PM

I'm not allowed to have one at the Academy! :( I've found I've been able to concentrate on things here and not have to worry about seeing my friends boozing it up at "real" college. Kinda nice actually

kelmac07 04-29-2012 04:19 PM

Facebook is the devil.

E.J. 04-29-2012 04:59 PM

Yep....

Pseudosacred 04-29-2012 05:31 PM

I'm on Facebook daily. It's a great thing, if you use it correctly.

I've actually found musicians and wrote songs with them over Facebook video. It's amazing how it can bring people together.

I think the myths and conspiricy theories behind Facebook make it seem like an awful thing, but it's not.

Scottw 04-29-2012 06:50 PM

Not for me except linkedin which I wouldn't refer to as social but certainly business networking

maninblack 04-29-2012 06:58 PM

Yes I do and use it daily. I think people love my witty, funny posts about life, love and my recent bowel movements. Oh and what I've eaten for my daily meals. Oh and what my favorite music is.

EricF 04-29-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maninblack (Post 1627455)
Yes I do and use it daily. I think people love my witty, funny posts about life, love and my recent bowel movements. Oh and what I've eaten for my daily meals. Oh and what my favorite music is.

And how empty your new humi is!!!! :lr :lr :lr

hotreds 04-29-2012 07:14 PM

I do FB, but opt out of just about everything, and have set my privacy as high as possible. I enjoy FB, and if you're careful and don't click on every "look what this father caught his teenage daughter doing!" link, you should be fine!

maninblack 04-29-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricF (Post 1627456)
And how empty your new humi is!!!! :lr :lr :lr

I was just so proud of it I couldn't wait until I filled it to post pctures! No funny stuff from you or Larry. Its FULL!

kelmac07 04-29-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1627382)
Facebook is the devil.

Besides, Kellie does it enough for the both of us. :D

Don Fernando 04-30-2012 03:19 AM

I use it to keep in touch with my friends all over the world, like some of you folks, and people that are not close friends but I'de like to stay in touch with too