Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Season a cedar-lined 3-finger case? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60051)

shopkins82 01-02-2013 08:54 AM

Season a cedar-lined 3-finger case?

For Christmas my father-in-law gave me a fairly nice looking black-leather three-finger cigar case. It is lined (both halves) with what looks (and smells) like cedar. I doubt I'll ever use this case for durations any longer than a single evening since I have a couple of 4-stick Black Ops cases and a 15-stick tupperdor for travel. That said, is there much reason to season this case the same way I would a humidor? Should I toss in a Boveda seasoning pack and seal it up in a Tupperware container or Ziploc bag for a few weeks? Or just use it as is?

Thanks in advance!

14holestogie 01-02-2013 09:02 AM

Re: Season a cedar-lined 3-finger case?

It's good to go as is for short-term storage.

JoeCool87TC 01-02-2013 09:04 AM

IMHO, if you're going to smoke them in a few hours or even a couple of days, not much will happen to the cigars in there so there's probably no reason to season it. Being the anal type I am, though, I'd most likely open it up and stick it in my humidor to at least attempt to get the cedar in it up to proper humidity.

Realistically I doubt seriously that even a couple of days out of the humidor is going to harm the smoke-ability of your sticks. That said, I've been wrong before. :sl Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will jump in here if I'm worng ;) this time.

Enjoy your 'gars! -(P

pnoon 01-02-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool87TC (Post 1774647)
IMHO, if you're going to smoke them in a few hours or even a couple of days, not much will happen to the cigars in there so there's probably no reason to season it. Being the anal type I am, though, I'd most likely open it up and stick it in my humidor to at least attempt to get the cedar in it up to proper humidity.

Realistically I doubt seriously that even a couple of days out of the humidor is going to harm the smoke-ability of your sticks. That said, I've been wrong before. :sl Hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable will jump in here if I'm worng ;) this time.

Enjoy your 'gars! -(P

Spot on, Joe.

No seasoning necessary. No humidifcation needed either.
For one evening or a couple of days, you will be fine.
The only caveat is that if you are in a climate where the RH is above 75% RH or below 40% RH, then I might consider not leaving them in the case longer than that evening.

N2 GOLD 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

Just fill it with three choice sticks & your are good... :ss

Don forget your lighter...

Sadden 01-02-2013 01:03 PM

Depends on well it seals when you close it. If it sealed up good i would probably season it so that the cedar could help keep the cigars at proper RH over a longer peroid of time. I have no evidence or data to back that up. But i think the humidified cedar would give you a day or two more breathing room.

But you already have traveling cases so its kind of a wash...

czerbe 01-02-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2 GOLD (Post 1774715)

Don forget your lighter...

And Cutter :r:r

STEVE S 01-02-2013 02:26 PM

Good to go just as it is, for one or two days.

iaMkcK 01-02-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czerbe (Post 1774746)
And Cutter :r:r

And if you forget your cutter, just gently take your teeth and nibble the end to get it tender and then bite off the capa. Works like a charm every time!

dwoodward 01-02-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iaMkcK (Post 1774794)
And if you forget your cutter, just gently take your teeth and nibble the end to get it tender and then bite off the capa. Works like a charm every time!

I forgot the cutter when camping last year and just took a pocket knife and made 2 cuts like an X in the cap. it worked pretty well tbh, a little bit flaked off, but it just opened the draw a little more.

There's so many ways to cut a cigar if you use your imagination lol.