Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brands that you stay away from. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74711)

asantiago 12-26-2018 03:56 PM

Brands that you stay away from.

So we all like to talk about brands or particular cigars with in a brand that we enjoy but I never really see any posts regarding brands we don't like, enjoy etc. For me I stay away from anything Romeo Y Julieta cigars, used to enjoy the Reserves Churchills but not anymore. I did try the new Nicaragua and enjoyed it but not enough to revisit the brand. Another brand is Rocky Patel, I smoked countless Decades when they originally came out but then something happened to the blend and its just not the same cigar. I did try the new Sun Grown and enjoyed it very much and will definitely smoke them again.

Porch Dweller 12-26-2018 04:31 PM

Re: Brands that you stay away from.

Gurkha. I've probably smoked 10 different varieties, mainly due to them being included in samplers and I bought a lot of samplers when I was getting into cigars. A couple of them were very, very good. Others...ummm, not so much. But probably three out every four had some kind of construction issue. So much so that I won't even think of buying any of the two I liked.

asantiago 12-26-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2166127)
Gurkha. I've probably smoked 10 different varieties, mainly due to them being included in samplers and I bought a lot of samplers when I was getting into cigars. A couple of them were very, very good. Others...ummm, not so much. But probably three out every four had some kind of construction issue. So much so that I won't even think of buying any of the two I liked.

Agreed! The Centurian might be the only one I enjoy once in a while.

Chainsaw13 12-26-2018 06:55 PM

Perdomo. Just never got into that line, or anything they roll. I used to love the CAO Maduro until Perdomo took it over.

Tio Gato 12-26-2018 07:56 PM

Agree with those mentioned. For me any Acid or Lars Tetens. Certainly any house brands from Thompson.:pu

kelmac07 12-26-2018 08:21 PM

Rocky Patel & Punch for me. Only thing I've ever liked was the Rocky Patel Original Sumatra (for which they've long since changed the blend) and the Punch Royal Coronation Maduro Tubos. Everything else I've smoked from these lines did not turn me on in the least. I've tried tons of their sticks, just not for me. :2

borndead1 12-26-2018 10:04 PM

CAO (2 bad boxes back to back)
Rocky Patel (3 boxes in a row with poor construction)
Oliva (used to be a fan but their quality has taken a nosedive recently)
Gurkha (tried a few fivers, all with construction/blending issues)
Victor Sinclair (whoever blends their cigars has the palate of a goat)
Anything Eiroa (90% of their cigars have a draw looser than an 80 yr old hooker)

icehog3 12-26-2018 11:46 PM

Gurkha
Cremosa
Tamboril
Baccarat
Don Mateo
anything infused

There's another brand I smoked several of in the early 2000s, every one tasted like dirt (not earthy...dirt), but they were very popular at the time. Not sure if they're still around, but I can't remember the name for the life of me right now.

Scottw 12-27-2018 07:14 AM

Gurkha
Perdomo
Graycliff
NC Cohiba

asantiago 12-27-2018 08:10 AM

Perdomo has been hit or miss for me. I loved their ESV's and the Edicion de Sylvio a few years back. The 20th anniversary is a good stick.

gomeitsmybday 12-27-2018 11:56 AM

Perdomo and Gurkha are the primary brands...
I don’t know what it is with Perdomo, on paper, I should really like their stuff, but when it comes down to actually smoking one? From memory, i haven’t had one that I’ve liked yet.

Fig_Nasty 12-27-2018 04:41 PM

For me anything infused gives me the spins and pretty much destroys my palate. I’ve given them a shot, but it’s a hard pass for me at this point haha.

It’s a shame most of you got turned off by Perdomo because they’re local to me and have SOME solid sticks. I guess it’s hit or miss with them these days. If you feel a change of heart PM me and I’ll send some over. Just let me know what might tickle your fancy.

Cheers

mjcujo 12-27-2018 06:55 PM

Oliva, of late, has been very disappointing. Construction and consistency are severely lacking. And I've yet to try a Graycliff that was worth smoking.

gomeitsmybday 12-27-2018 07:44 PM

I’m curious to those that avoid Graycliff, have you tried the 30 year vintage? I’ll admit that is the only Graycliff I’ve tried to date, but I love it. For a breakfast/early morning smoke, I think it’s wonderful with coffee...I’ve maybe noticed the occasional construction issue but nothing to make me avoid the entire brand, yet! (I emphasis yet!)
And Nelson, what are some of your favorite Perdomos? I’d be willing to add a 5 pack or two on one of my next larger online orders....

Porch Dweller 12-27-2018 08:59 PM

I always keep some Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro Robustos on hand; I really enjoy them. But the others I've tried from them have been "meh".

The camaro show 12-27-2018 09:45 PM

Man you guys really make me think twice about what’s a good brand and a bad brand, I’ve had 2 Olivia’s and loved both and have had probably 10 caos and I’d say 8.5 of 10 were good one had a pretty crazy burn and the other was just terrible.

gomeitsmybday 12-27-2018 10:34 PM

Chayse don’t let anyone’s opinion make you think twice about any cigar you like, if you enjoy it, smoke it. Especially if it’s on sale, hehe.
And ftr I like quite a few from both Oliva & CAO. Just not the flavors. :)

Porch Dweller 12-28-2018 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The camaro show (Post 2166239)
Man you guys really make me think twice about what’s a good brand and a bad brand, I’ve had 2 Olivia’s and loved both and have had probably 10 caos and I’d say 8.5 of 10 were good one had a pretty crazy burn and the other was just terrible.

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke and don't let someone else's opinion turn you off of a cigar you enjoy.

Oliva V is one of my favorite smokes and I always have some on hand. The O and G line are pretty good as well. I really enjoy the Brasilia and Flathead lines from CAO but haven't had many others I've enjoyed.

dijit 12-28-2018 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2166247)
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke and don't let someone else's opinion turn you off of a cigar you enjoy.

Very wise words there. I would only add that try new cigars at your leisure and I usually try to avoid the reviews till after I have smoked it so I can form my own opinion.