Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Similar to Opus X? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25849)

Langod 12-10-2009 06:22 AM

Similar to Opus X?

A few months ago I was in Vegas and visited the Fuente store in the Caesar's Palace shops where I paid way too much money for an Opus X. But it was a wonderful smoke! Rich, spicy, lots of wonderful, thick smoke.

Does anyone have some recommendations for a less pricey smoke that might have some of the same flavor and richness? I realize that you won't get the same taste/feel/richness for $10 or less, but it would be great to have a smoke that is somewhat reminiscent of that wonderful Opus.
Ideally I'm looking for sticks that might be available at a well-stocked B&M.

Don Fernando 12-10-2009 06:30 AM

Re: Similar to Opus X?

my opinion is that the specific wood flavor that is present in Opus X is also present in Liga Privada #9, although the LP is less complex.

jerseystepup 12-10-2009 05:00 PM

And around me the liga's are almost the same price as the opus

bigswol2 12-10-2009 05:01 PM

Litto Gomez small batch 3

montecristo#2 12-10-2009 05:23 PM

You might try the Ashton VSGs - not exactly the same, but if you like Dominican Republic tobacco. I would try something from La Flor Dominicana as well.

e-man67 12-10-2009 05:28 PM

Honestly there is nothing like an Opus...nothing like an Ashton VSG either...and personally I didn't care for the Liga's at all.

bobarian 12-10-2009 05:34 PM

If you consider a CZ a good substitute for a diamond or a supermarket steak just as good as Kobe beef, then you may want to try any of the aforementioned "taste-like" OpusX. But in truth that is why a premium cigar costs premium dollars. You will find Nicaraguan or Honduran cigars as strong as an Opus. A few Dominican's might have some of the flavors(not all) of an Opus.
But an Opus is an Opus, that is why they command and get the prices they ask. :2

Jbailey 12-10-2009 06:21 PM

I would suggest a LFD LG it's a solid line and they have a good amount of strength and more flavor than Opus. :2

GoldnGT 12-10-2009 06:46 PM

First off, hello to a fellow Mustang enthusiast!

Secondly, I haven't smoked anything that compares to the FFOX in flavor profile. the LG's are good, but not gonna give you the same satisfaction, unles you wanna go with an Anejo... but then you are still in the same price range.

Watch the For Sale section on here, you can sometimes find them cheaper than your local retail price.

s15driftking 12-10-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseystepup (Post 675829)
And around me the liga's are almost the same price as the opus

QFT, they arent cheap either!!

Langod 12-10-2009 07:14 PM

Thanks for all the input!

The reason I asked is beacuse I was heading out to my local B&M's lounge today, I wanted to try something "similar" to the Opus. When I checked back, the only reply was the original one from Don Fernando. SInce my B&M had the Liga Privada #9, I tried that. It was $10. Which is considerably cheaper than the $20-30 I normally see for the Opus.

It was pretty good. Strong and spicy like the Opus, but it definetly wasn't anywhere close to as smooth or as rich and creamy. But it was a darn good cigar.

Thanks for the other recommendations too -- I'll try them out!

Bobarian: of course I know there's nothing like an Opus other than an Opus. Which is why I was looking for a cigar"somewhat reminiscent".
To use your analogy -- a $5 supermarket steak isn't going to compare to a Kobe, but maybe going to your local butcher and spending $25 on a nice quality ribeye, will satisfy you and get you as close as you need to be, without dropping $75 on a Kobe.

s15driftking 12-10-2009 07:19 PM

i got a lot of cedar from the few that i have smoked, another cigar I know that has a good cedary taste is the NC El Rey De Mundo in the tissue paper.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mVq0sPC0Lz.../s320/ERDM.jpg

JJG 12-10-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s15driftking (Post 675998)
i got a lot of cedar from the few that i have smoked, another cigar I know that has a good cedary taste is the NC El Rey De Mundo in the tissue paper.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mVq0sPC0Lz.../s320/ERDM.jpg

Oh man, I smoked a ERdM flor de llaneza this weekend that was fantastic. The tissue wrappred robusto largas were my first box purchase.

newlifetaxidermy 12-10-2009 10:17 PM

Opus MSRP runs from about $9.50-16.00 or so. You should be able to find them for pretty close to MSRP if you keep your eyes peeled. Some B&Ms jack the price up, but honestly, they are good smokes, but not worth much more than MSRP.

DrDubzz 12-10-2009 10:26 PM

if I wanted to duplicate the flavor from the last opus I smoked (a #4 from last year) I would dump a bottle of peppercorns in my mouth and chew them

however I have a XXX a while back and enjoyed it

a similar but different cigar is the Ashton ESG, which I love to death

JJG 12-10-2009 10:39 PM

I used to think the Opus were overhyped and overpriced but they have really grown on me. I agree that they are worth the msrp, but unfortunately I never see them priced near msrp.

Poronico 12-10-2009 10:40 PM

Ashton VSG is similar imo, as well as the Diamond Crown Maximus