Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tasteless Connecticut wrappers? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53999)

Sonic04GT 03-03-2012 09:09 PM

Tasteless Connecticut wrappers?

Let me preface this by saying they're both infused sticks. Anyway, I had a couple Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskeys and I got hardly any flavor out of them. The Connecticut wrapper was bland as can be.

Had an Acid Liquid tonight, and although it wasn't a bad stick, the Connecticut wrapper tasted like...well...nothing.

Anybody else have this same opinion?

icehog3 03-03-2012 09:11 PM

Re: Tasteless Connecticut wrappers?

I would think both of those sticks would have lots of flavor. All of it bad.;s

emopunker2004 03-03-2012 09:28 PM

I don't smoke infused.
Try a Conn. wrapper non-infused stick. :2

kaisersozei 03-03-2012 09:51 PM

Not sure you can get any wrapper flavor out of an infused stick :sh

Emjaysmash 03-03-2012 09:53 PM

Of all the sticks I've smoked that were like "air" with not flavor, they have all had Connecticut wrappers.

Sonic04GT 03-03-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 1580439)
Not sure you can get any wrapper flavor out of an infused stick :sh

I'd think there would at least be some sort of sweet flavor since it was infused. Nothing.

I enjoy the taste of the Acid Kuba Kuba wrapper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1580441)
Of all the sticks I've smoked that were like "air" with not flavor, they have all had Connecticut wrappers.

Interesting... Maybe onto something here ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-03-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1580441)

I've had many flavorfull Connecticut shade wrapper cigars:2

Emjaysmash 03-03-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 1580460)
I've had many flavorfull Connecticut shade wrapper cigars:2

I'm not saying I haven't. I'm saying of all the cigars that tasted like nothing, they always had connecticut shade wrappers.

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-03-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1580463)
I'm not saying I haven't. I'm saying of all the cigars that tasted like nothing, they always had connecticut shade wrappers.

Gotcha. I should say that I've had some bland NC connecticut shade cigars before too. I can't remember the last cc connecticut shade that was "tasteless" however.

bobarian 03-03-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 1580468)
Gotcha. I should say that I've had some bland NC connecticut shade cigars before too. I can't remember the last cc connecticut shade that was "tasteless" however.

All post embargo Cuban cigars are "puros" using only 100% Cuban tobacco. I am not aware of any factory made Cuban using a Connecticut wrapper of any kind. :2

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-03-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1580476)
All post embargo Cuban cigars are "puros" using only 100% Cuban tobacco. I am not aware of any factory made Cuban using a Connecticut wrapper of any kind. :2

Connecticut shade is refering to the color of the wrapper, not origin of the tobacco. There's many cc's with connecticut shade wrappers, no?

bobarian 03-03-2012 10:55 PM

No. I think you are confusing terminology. Connecticut shade wrappers are grown in CT. There are also Connecticut seed tobacco's being grown in many countries.

Cuban cigars used to be labeled "Claro" but no longer. Most current releases are called "Colorado"(I dont know why). Cohiba Maduro's are the only regular releases officially using "maduro" wrappers. But many LE's have wrappers that are just as dark or darker than the Cohiba Maduro line.

icehog3 03-03-2012 10:57 PM

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/7666

bobarian 03-03-2012 10:59 PM

Thanks Tom, that is very interesting. I was referencing Trevor's site http://cubancigarwebsite.com/info-production.htm towards the bottom of the page there is a color chart.

Its interesting that most of the Cuban CT wrappers were grown for export. Its also interesting that it was grown in Partido rather than Vuelta Abajo or other prime areas. I wonder whether this continues today in Cuba.

Wasnt 1995 the year of the first big blight in Cuba? The one where they lost all of the original(old blend) corojo?

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-03-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1580487)
No. I think you are confusing terminology. Connecticut shade wrappers are grown in CT. There are also Connecticut seed tobacco's being grown in many countries.

Cuban cigars used to be labeled "Claro" but no longer. Most current releases are called "Colorado"(I dont know why). Cohiba Maduro's are the only regular releases officially using "maduro" wrappers. But many LE's have wrappers that are just as dark or darker than the Cohiba Maduro line.

Thanks for the input Bob. I've always thought of connie/maduro/colorado/ect. were always describing the color of the wrapper. I know that Connecticut is really the main tobacco grown in CT, but I still associate all the terms with the actual color of the wrapper:2

ChicagoWhiteSox 03-03-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1580489)

Thanks Tom:tu

icehog3 03-03-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1580491)
Thanks Tom, that is very interesting. I was referencing Trevor's site http://cubancigarwebsite.com/info-production.htm towards the bottom of the page there is a color chart.

Its interesting that most of the Cuban CT wrappers were grown for export. Its also interesting that it was grown in Partido rather than Vuelta Abajo or other prime areas. I wonder whether this continues today in Cuba.

Wasnt 1995 the year of the first big blight in Cuba? The one where they lost all of the original(old blend) corojo?

I would be curious too, Bob, I know that article is 17 years old. :)

qwerty1500 03-04-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1580489)

I wonder what has happened to the Cuban CT grown experiment since 1995? Is it still being grown? Has someone tried it commercially in full-sized cigars?

irratebass 03-04-2012 07:18 AM

After having other wrappers and going back to Connecticut, it's just like M.J. said.....it's like air.

tengel78 03-04-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1580700)
After having other wrappers and going back to Connecticut, it's just like M.J. said.....it's like air.

+1 I'm not a big fan either.