Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   PBS cooking shows? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27662)

Kreth 01-23-2010 11:17 AM

PBS cooking shows?

Anyone watch these? They've become my default activity on a Saturday afternoon if we have no plans.
Ciao Italia - some good recipes, but sometimes I have to hit mute
Lidia's Italy - Not always the healthiest dishes, but I've picked up some tasty recipes from this show
America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country - Basically the same show, slightly different format. I get a lot of "tricks" from these shows, such as supplementing burgers with a panade to keep them moist. We've bought several utensils based on the product reviews.
Simply Ming - Love the way he mixes East/West ingredients, then does several dishes
Avec Eric - fairly new show starring Eric Ripert. Looks interesting, the first few shows have seemed to focus on ultra-fresh cooking (such as cooking shrimp on the beach)
Posted via Mobile Device

Blindjimme 01-23-2010 01:01 PM

Re: PBS cooking shows?

Ex cooking show junkie here Jeff. Two of them I recognize, I completely agree on Caio Italia - she can drive you up the wall with her chatter. Ming used to have another show called East Meets West. We've adopted a lot of ideas and had some "aha" moments from these shows as well.

Kreth 01-23-2010 01:16 PM

I should point out that I've only developed an interest in cooking (other than grilling) since meeting my wife. She loves to tell people that when we met, my fridge contained a jar of mayo and beer.
I vaguely remember Ming's old show, and Yan Can Cook, which I don't believe is on anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

tuxpuff 01-25-2010 11:06 AM

PBS rocks! You missed my favorite though...Rick Bayless - Mexico One Plate at a Time. I made his mojo de ajo a couple of weeks ago...soooo amazing.

mariogolbee 01-25-2010 11:09 AM

My daughter and I will watch some of these at times. She absolutely loves them! You forgot BBQ U.

T.G 01-25-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariogolbee (Post 734088)
My daughter and I will watch some of these at times. She absolutely loves them! You forgot BBQ U.

Steve Raichlen is the man.:tu

Scottw 01-25-2010 11:12 AM

I love em all. Ming Tsai by the way is a great dude. My wife and I went up to Mass after we got married and ate at his place. He actually came over and sat with us and talked for a bit. He signed our menus and we left. A few months later we had a house fire and apparently my mother called his restaurant and told him (he remembered me because his anniversary is the same day as mine). That Christmas we got a note from Ming and Polly Tsai with a copy of his new cookbook autographed. Class act!

Kreth 01-25-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxpuff (Post 734080)
PBS rocks! You missed my favorite though...Rick Bayless - Mexico One Plate at a Time. I made his mojo de ajo a couple of weeks ago...soooo amazing.

I did forget this. I haven't watched it in a while. I think it's on later when I'm usually watching Legend Of The Seeker.
Quote:

Never heard of this one, Mario. When's it on?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 734091)
I love em all. Ming Tsai by the way is a great dude. My wife and I went up to Mass after we got married and ate at his place. He actually came over and sat with us and talked for a bit. He signed our menus and we left. A few months later we had a house fire and apparently my mother called his restaurant and told him (he remembered me because his anniversary is the same day as mine). That Christmas we got a note from Ming and Polly Tsai with a copy of his new cookbook autographed. Class act!

That's a great story, Scott. I love the eps where he has his parents on cooking with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

mariogolbee 01-25-2010 11:17 AM

Don't remember. I think I've seen it twice. The guy has various styles of BBQ's and smoker's in on the edges of a large circular patio I think. Lot's of good grilling recipes with cheesy music.

Kreth 01-25-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariogolbee (Post 734102)
Don't remember. I think I've seen it twice. The guy has various styles of BBQ's and smoker's in on the edges of a large circular patio I think. Lot's of good grilling recipes with cheesy music.

I think I did see this once, I didn't know the name of it (found it flipping channels). IIRC, it's on some weeknight, not with the Saturday block of cooking shows.
Posted via Mobile Device

kugie 01-25-2010 11:24 AM

Tod English, does a show. I don't remember the name, but he travels and explains the dish and visits different places that do the type of food he is talking about.
The one I saw was about Sushi and he was at the fish market in Japan ordering the sushi that had just been caught. The food was amazing.

T.G 01-25-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 734093)
Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

Airtimes depend on your PBS affiliate and tend to vary from affiliate to affiliate. Best to go to your affiliate's website and check the schedule or go to zap2it.com and punch in your zipcode and check there.

Raichlen actually has two shows - Barbecue University (AKA "BBQ-U") and Primal Grill with Steven Raichlen. Both are very good.

http://www.bbqu.net/

Scottw 01-25-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 734093)
I did forget this. I haven't watched it in a while. I think it's on later when I'm usually watching Legend Of The Seeker.

BBQ U is with Steven Reichlien and is a great show

That's a great story, Scott. I love the eps where he has his parents on cooking with him.

Posted via Mobile Device

BBQ U is with Steven Reichlien and is a great show

Ming is really a family type of guy. Very nice and his wife is sweet as well.

mariogolbee 01-25-2010 11:33 AM

Is ming the eccentric Thai guy?

Kreth 01-25-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariogolbee (Post 734126)

He's Chinese. I wouldn't call him eccentric. He seems pretty laid back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scottw 01-25-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

You might be referring to Martin Yan.

T.G 01-25-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Are you thinking of Martin Yan? "Yan Can Cook"

Martin Yan is always cracking corny jokes and he is a bit eccentric.

He's Chinese though. Lives in San Francisco, or he used to anyway.

http://www.yancancook.com/

He has two restaurants in the bay area - locations are on his website.

mosesbotbol 01-26-2010 11:13 AM

Been watching them all since the 70's.

Volt 01-26-2010 12:50 PM

I just noticed this thread. I was *****ing last night to my wife the cooking chanel has gone to crap for me.

1. They lost the Emeril Live show - my #1!
2. I'm not sure if/when the other Emeril show comes on.
3. Paula Dean is setting the South back 60 years with her bs accent and cooking. We haven't cooked like that in a long time.
4. Alton Brown irritates me to no end. What a friggin idiot!
5. I will not even start on the Nettles and what I think of those two dimwits.
6. Bobby Flay - great shows
7. Tyler - again good shows
8. Rachel Ray - love the quick menus, actually somethings I might cook
9. Mario - is he still on, I miss his shows?
10. Kitchen Battle or what ever it is called - good except for Alton.
11. Giada - does she cook or just look good :)
12. Sandra Lee and the Contessa may be good shows but don't cook much that matches me so I watch very infrequently. Besides the Contessa has that same sappy bs about her "Jeffery" that the Nettles do.

I bet I would average at least 1 - 2 shows a night in years past, now maybe 2 - 3 shows a week. I can't remember if Andrew Zimmerman is on the food network or the travel network, but love watching him.

chippewastud79 01-26-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 734091)

Great story Scott. Used to love watching "East meets West" and now I definitely like and repsect him more as a cook and a person. :tu